Losing GPS link
2045 26 2020-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

First flights after months of shut-down..........
All good at take-off,  but within about 60/90 seconds the display shows ATTI mode.  As this was in a new location and quite remote,   I didn't retry again until days  later at a familier site.
So today I went to an area where I have flown heaps of times,  (absolutely no chance of magnetic or other interferance)  All seems perfect prior to and at launch,  but within a very short period I get the ATTI mode message again.   I bring the drone back to take-off point in the hope that it will hook up to GPS satelites again - but no.
I continued to fly visually but soon lost even the 'Tracking Map' on the screen,  well I say I lost it.  What I mean is that it froze at it's last position.
During this time the drone is reacting perfectly to the control input - so the link between the RC and the drone is good,   however the GPS/satelites are gone.
To my mind this sounds like possibly an electronic component is breaking down after a short 'warm-up' period ????  

Other than that I have no idea and welcome any advice...  

2020-9-18
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

hI mAX !! sad to hear that .... how much time did the AC pass without turning on ??
2020-9-18
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I start my 4 devices at least once a month
2020-9-18
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

JetSam Posted at 9-18 02:29
hI mAX !! sad to hear that .... how much time did the AC pass without turning on ??

No more than 4 weeks between turning both the RC and drone on.
I always 'cycle' the batteries even when not flying.
2020-9-18
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

PS:   I cycle the RC battery also
2020-9-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

During this time the drone is reacting perfectly to the control input - so the link between the RC and the drone is good,   however the GPS/satelites are gone.
To my mind this sounds like possibly an electronic component is breaking down after a short 'warm-up' period ????  

Another possibility might be a loose connection?
Your recorded flight data might give some extra clues.
2020-9-18
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 9-18 04:38
Another possibility might be a loose connection?

Your recorded flight data might give some extra clues.

Thanks Labroides,  what is the easiest way to access the data ?
(I am none too bright in the IT department !)
2020-9-18
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/.  Go here, follow directions, then come back and post the link.
2020-9-18
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Mmmmm,  what I get is pages of heiroglyphics !  I don't think that's what we want.  

Ÿ                                                                                               (údàPCç†y$¡oCòxTà}ÿ(éªf˼>W¿èVòÙdu
ÿ(py[ý‚‹ˆAfJýé13[jÿ(è„HԁT½-@Hr õ"¼`ÿ3`†h #ù£±Á‡h #ù£"ÿ9ÆÊ–hþf~0àmlhUºœÏL
œÑ©"~pP
…ѪÜWqVÝ Ñ¤,~pL œÑ¨<ñl^
œÑ©Ú·ÿÀ{`eÛ§Éí{±ÅÙ8½ì{¥ÿ
pÀ(¦‰u(±OLtàÏ7±J6 á¿v&àiB×ä¯V+`‘­&TîcCÖäHà0¥v&Ù[l¥v&±:BtàµD±I6 –´v&±:M|”ÌFÔ!0¥v&±<Wqàº"²J6—Ãv&µÿz²Yr2 ’8ÕX[>š:Ë_sZþ<ÊWV"È
Ës0’>£ö[r2 ’xÚ/Yb ŒÊ~rXþŸ<ÊW"'œ,íIU2»<¡öQr2 ž/ÊöPr2 ›jÅv}=Zb6ÊY2œ<êYr7=Úöšÿ8`ö>ÿ
>jGo°" [¨ K} k©Wa
¨yrl®g
¥wngç_AChop³^.
¹ty"°tBß{aw³oDÑtÿl×À˜¢! Ëýg‹ãÎHÿiá´c+iá´Þ‰ªD
´‘ÿ^ÂM%ÝQ60ÕÃW;Ý#“ÃD©³ÿ9 £‘æÚ'xhÉsé˜ÿ‡DDoÉ 8XDvÉþ49^”ÿÉ8DEnÉ’$VDoÉôâ9ÿÏ&««Éñ&«Œ°©Väð&«Iÿ_DT¸S<’„EU‘_=šOR¹?–›IZœd:ˆ™KƹQ®”ö·V¸S<Ò‹nT¨t< ±›Ys¸=–›IZÜC†¼IDŸS,;–ô·]¸S<À”F{·\gâÃÿÔûÚ`BÍ´d÷Œ:ßõaWâaÿ—ëüЄel)ëüÐ…ÚŽí)ÆÐÿº½%1á¥Ø‚^¼2áÖñ£Œ¼!+ÿ{äíñ~‚Â{䕸óáöÃ{äOÿ9Ç93:^Q?^.oŠmîmÀrA71‘vnA.1’ˆ¦~h‘§1œxr@51h c`A71‘p·ÿ*¤‹FÑ›a‚}×Ò‘u+•‡ßÂÑA;§mêÒ‘u+—}¿Ù‘u+—}Aÿ_Ù=›š–ì(¼</—›žî6¶;ëd™è7°3"¬œ™ö5²¯™™êFN?›š–¬'—=¼šˆÏ7 éd›è7°3b‹½˜ø°-!›Š¿èDN4›šŸ8¿        ”Æfÿ Ÿaú¸ŠŸaú¸ƒc %ú¸Š!bu¸‚ÿ¤€c¼$5NÇ£à t&Â}ˆÿK²@£šØÂE‹B Ý=œñúi½:µúwJB•' ÷¾
bõ \÷³b‹òâö]¶aŠ \þ³=UÁF嶃=P»2än÷³
[ŸPèÿ9Hl!‚yoú÷ÎVWò\E1#¦I Ý÷Ž?¿I¤#ޏ9Ë6I­Ó÷Ž#¥I¡Ãx’1¦I 1Çÿy@RG” ?=@RG <à¾=l¾G}ÿH3
l÷ݍI´6ÄÍõB÷o3
VÿYñô+[ã6Hçðã["€)ððš2ÿs³Se–~÷w?±ƒÓä60QÍÿ_2gGU¹¾ªf!K]»  a        3áZ½¡¦i,pZ££¤õ        EZ¿ÔXeGUù±g`Kš¡¶@1áX½¡¦ilW8[­†¦w/G|½ÖXnG\K®©HHB¥þÿ9ÉM æ(X>ûmâ{t¤k’NœÑ—û-RœÈ”çÒ,TLAšû-NÕ–t1\œÑ—ççÿ\xlQ—Øžû€xlQ–Âvz€T€QÈÿ’
¥J¥$¢ãÚ™X觻ó
¥‹ÿÈ»[€â\èɬG€n"É¿Õ ÿ_í"«—‡å2ì §        Ÿ…û8ë#Óö˜ƒú>㜘ø<#©š˜ƒÀï"«—Çêí2Œ‰¤ú.Ê"Ñöšƒú>ãF»/™“Ý>ý«¾ƒÀä"«žuõ1Â-¤Vg®ÿRRóÐþêO.5q‚ff\o0Ñì˜ÿ9BuÏÉLÁœ?GžýÁò#cÀkۍ|»wÛ”|

u¥sص&UQÑ‚Þº)ƒ¬uÿ‰ý¢wÈ$]ilÞÄÌMD‚(i~¬ªÿnôÊÌ°ÀÇ¿ðÂ5̱L¸=ðùÛÌÁÿ9¢ûɆÁø4«Ôj@"xÛ‹I+f»QAžì«”ðDqAí­•Êk€A>«”Æ»·B0
$ˆÔ»_1ýT7ÿPϨJ°è,ú¨9œ˜
?hÈÿ/˜®.2 [&¢^íc…Íö˜®Sÿ÷»†/>j½‰ ¡á4ÿ`jíÐÒ
§ëãIj»Xxªæéååÿ|òJ8õð
Áĵ8ôëqŒÁù[8Šÿ9áÅ¡ö"7µ?ƒQµJ
Ý|
åLQm?ÄõÂLÞl9°Ú7Lñ’?ü
OÿŒ°ß®
§Rþ®?!ÿq«1
ÈÚŒª(
»úIƒªº‹ÿÒ&ðj¬±rÙà[LHoš&òÿR8êx«5«hùîëhŒ4µKèÙÍy×ˤléÉä\s#¤´ÿÈú_ª%‚m”7èx«5«(ùîêhŒ5µKéÙÍxÕ˦léÉ以|ÎÉú_«%‚l–7£ÿkžý˜hÄ ’½â AyÓÓŠ¤ÿ9o! ²"›\
¯ÓxL¨»ãèPßc½yý„
ïCœ™yr… îs³oy]{
ïcVzSe…ómcÿgRm
2020-9-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 9-18 16:17
Mmmmm,  what I get is pages of heiroglyphics !  I don't think that's what we want.  

The txt file will look like garbage if you try to read it directly.
But if you post the whole file, it will be readable to the right people.
2020-9-18
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 9-18 18:31
The txt file will look like garbage if you try to read it directly.
But if you post the whole file, it will be readable to the right people.

Tried that,  the file is too big for posting.
Is there a way I can post a "link" to what is stored up in the Cloud somewhere ?
2020-9-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 9-19 01:20
Tried that,  the file is too big for posting.
Is there a way I can post a "link" to what is stored up in the Cloud somewhere ?

Yes .. you could do that.
Or go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.
2020-9-19
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 9-19 01:53
Yes .. you could do that.
Or go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.

That's where I have been going.
But I must be missing something somewhere.
Will have another go in the morning
2020-9-19
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

https://1drv.ms/t/s!ArTmm4QqfqDbl3v5IhzmoEj9_1f7?e=MdCGwr
Hopefully this link will work ????
2020-9-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

This is what that data looks like:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YYR8UR0UTALYTHKLE68D/

So today I went to an area where I have flown heaps of times,  (absolutely no chance of magnetic or other interferance)
There may well have been magnetic interference at the launch spot.
Your flight data shows, a Yaw Error at 4:25.2 and compass errors at 5:26.2, 7:33.2, 7:56.6, 8:18.2, 9:27.6, 9:28.8, 9:31.2, 9:38.9 & 10:10.5.
This was probably unrelated to the lost GPS issue but without seeing data from the previous flight at a different location, I can't be certain.

You are lucky the yaw error was only a small one.
Most yaw errors are unrecoverable and end badly.

What direction was the drone facing at the launch spot?
What was the surface you launched from?

All seems perfect prior to and at launch,  but within a very short period I get the ATTI mode message again.   I bring the drone back to take-off point in the hope that it will hook up to GPS satelites again - but no.

I continued to fly visually but soon lost even the 'Tracking Map' on the screen,  well I say I lost it.  What I mean is that it froze at it's last position.
Your satellite numbers dropped from 13-14 to zero and jumped back to 13-14 at:
0:31.3, 0:33.4, 0:51.4, 1:01.8, 1:04, 3:55.9, 4:07.6, 4:08.7, 4:11.8, 4:14.1
They dropped to zero again at 4:28.5 and stayed at zero until the end of the flight, which is why the tracking appeared frozen.

This looks a lot like an intermittent (at least for the first half of the flight) hardware problem.
Either a faulty GPS unit or a poor connection.

If you power up outdoors now, does the drone find satellites?

2020-9-19
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 9-19 20:04
This is what that data looks like:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YYR8UR0UTALYTHKLE68D/

What direction was the drone facing at the launch spot?   Compass direction ?  A tad N of W

What was the surface you launched from?   Was sitting on top of the DJI foam box on a dirt/grass surface.

If you power up outdoors now, does the drone find satellites ?  Yes,  just tried it 9 satellites almost immediately and HP updated.   When the weather here (which is absolutely foul) clears up a bit I'll power the thing up and let it sit on the ground for a few minutes to see if the satellites drop out without actually flying ?

Gees,  the 'Log Viewer" makes the data look more intelligible !  
2020-9-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 9-19 22:35
What direction was the drone facing at the launch spot?   Compass direction ?  A tad N of W

What was the surface you launched from?   Was sitting on top of the DJI foam box on a dirt/grass surface.

The data shows a heading of 309° so that's about right.
The yaw error is a concern, it's usually caused by launching close to something made of steel, eg from reinforced concrete surfaces.

On the foam box would probably give enough separation (unless there's something steel inside the box).

Yes,  just tried it 9 satellites almost immediately and HP updated.   When the weather here (which is absolutely foul) clears up a bit I'll power the thing up and let it sit on the ground for a few minutes to see if the satellites drop out without actually flying ?
OK .. because the last loss of GPS went until th eend of data, I was just curious about whether it had stopped working completely.
I'd keep an eye on how it's operating and wouldn't do any adventurous flights until it's fixed or the problem goes away.
Losing GPS won't crash the drone, but it could make it difficult to retrieve if it's out of sight.

2020-9-19
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

I just put the machine outside on the gtround,  turned on,  but not running.   After about 7 minutes we still had GPS signal.  So I gently tapped the top of the drone and voila !   Immediate ATTI mode.  A couple more taps and we are back with GPS.  Another tap or two and ATTI again.
So it's pretty conclusive in my mind that we have a lose connection somewhere.
Now I have to find somewhere to get it fixed as I am not game to start taking it to pieces !
Thanks for your help Labroides - much appreciated  
2020-9-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 9-20 01:14
I just put the machine outside on the gtround,  turned on,  but not running.   After about 7 minutes we still had GPS signal.  So I gently tapped the top of the drone and voila !   Immediate ATTI mode.  A couple more taps and we are back with GPS.  Another tap or two and ATTI again.
So it's pretty conclusive in my mind that we have a lose connection somewhere.
Now I have to find somewhere to get it fixed as I am not game to start taking it to pieces !

Good idea.
With the Phantom 3 series, opening the case and checking the GPS connection were both easy tasks.
With the P4 series, that's all changed.
Finding someone who is experienced with working on the P4 will be able to do it much easier than you would, trying to learn how as you go.
2020-9-20
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 9-20 02:45
Good idea.
With the Phantom 3 series, opening the case and checking the GPS connection were both easy tasks.

I'll likely end up sending it back to DJI in Melbourne,   there is no local branch in WA.  
There are others that claim to be Repairers - but who knows their experience.

Thanks again for your input - much appreciated  
2020-9-20
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

I did find a service agent in WA - recommended by the DJI State Distributor.  So I called them and was very disappointed to be told they are current soooo busy they are not taking any more repair bookings for 2 weeks !!
So the answer is "Ring back in a week or two"
Oh well,  I suppose the up-side is that if they are so busy,  they must be good at their job.   

As the song goes .........  "Don't worry,  be happy"  ;)

2020-9-29
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 9-29 01:55
I did find a service agent in WA - recommended by the DJI State Distributor.  So I called them and was very disappointed to be told they are current soooo busy they are not taking any more repair bookings for 2 weeks !!
So the answer is "Ring back in a week or two"
Oh well,  I suppose the up-side is that if they are so busy,  they must be good at their job.   

I did as instructed by the shop and a couple of weeks ago made the 400k round trip to deliver the wee beastie to the repairers....
I called them today only to be told they do not have the necessary test equipment to check for the faults as reported.
Tomorrow,  we will again do the 400k round trip to collect the machine & then decide if or not to send it across to the Eastern States (Melbourne) for repair at DJI's workshop.
I feel a bit "GGGGRRRRRR"  at the moment - just wish there was an easy way out.
2020-10-21
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Well Manxmann take this with a grain of salt but some users report good results from https://www.camzilla.com.au/drone-service-repairs/ and in Melb https://www.uavwholesale.com.au/repair-centre.html BUT you'd need to check through the forum and good old Face B for feedback.
I'm sure some of the locals will be in contact to provide advice.
Hmm maybe it's covid restrictions or seceding that's caused it
2020-10-21
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 10-21 17:26
Well Manxmann take this with a grain of salt but some users report good results from https://www.camzilla.com.au/drone-service-repairs/ and in Melb https://www.uavwholesale.com.au/repair-centre.html BUT you'd need to check through the forum and good old Face B for feedback.
I'm sure some of the locals will be in contact to provide advice.
Hmm maybe it's covid restrictions or seceding that's caused it

Seceding ?  Oh,  have you heard of WAXIT then ?
2020-10-22
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 10-22 01:08
Seceding ?  Oh,  have you heard of WAXIT then ?

yep we're having a quick whip round to help
2020-10-22
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 10-22 02:00
yep we're having a quick whip round to help

No cash.  What we need are Concrete Blocks to keep the border secure !!  
2020-10-22
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Well that's it,  one P4P+ in the post for Keysborough,  Vic.
Let's hope they receive it quickly (I sent it Aust Post Express for $55 !!)  Fix it quickly and get it back to me quickly  ?
Nothing to do now,  but wait .........................  ;)
2020-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules