Broken Arm Mavic Mini - Send to DJI or Repair Locally?
1327 7 2020-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Christian Drkulec
lvl.1

Canada

Hi, new to the DJI family and this forum, so if this is in the wrong place or not allowed, I apologize.

I unfortunately broke the left front arm of my Mavic Mini. I didn't know there was an emergency shut-off and wish I had because that may have saved me. I don't think it broke on first impact, but instead when it was trying to fly in the middle of the tree.

Anyways, I bought DJI Care, and am now considering my options. I am pretty sure the only thing wrong is the plastic arm. The cord inside the arm looks completely fine and there's no damage anywhere else except for some scrapes and slightly warped props. For this reason I dont believe the repair should be that expensive?? Maybe under $100 USD?? Not sure. I live in Canada by the way.

If it is under $100 USD, I think I'd rather pay for it instead of using 1 of my replacements. I have realized I am a risky flyer when it comes to flying close to trees and such, and don't forsee that stopping (although won't be this reckless for a while). For that reason, I think I may have more expensive accidents in the future, and want to use my repacements on them.

I have called the DJI authorized repair centre located 45 minutes away from me, and they quoted me $113 CAD ($86 USD). Of course this is only if it's just a plastic arm replacement. They said it should take around 7 business days, if they have the part in stock. They also don't offer repair service via DJI care at this time.

So I guess what I am wondering is if should send it in to DJI or go to this local authorized repair shop. My priority is getting the drone back asap, as cheaply as possible, and with spending as little time as possible. I am heavily leaning towards the authorized repair shop, but I'm worried that maybe sending it into DJI directly could be considerably cheaper, or that the repair shop may realize there's more wrong with it, and in that case I'd rather use DJI Care on it (so either wasting $$ or time or both).

I really would like to glue it as it seems like an easy fix, but I don't want to void my DJI Care, and also don't know how much I'd trust a glued arm 200 feet in the air.
I forgot to ask the repair shop, but I assume getting an authorized dealer to repair it out of warranty doesn't void my DJI Care?

Any advice/opinions are appreciated!

2020-9-18
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

I can only give some information regarding my recent DJI repair.  I don't have Care Refresh on my Mini because I had no idea what it was when I activated it.  I had a minor crash that resulted in a small amount of damage.  I submitted a repair request and DJI sent me a UPS shipping label.  Interestingly they had me ship it to Texas even though there is a service center less than 30 miles from me in southern California.  Sent it off to them, and within 28 hours of DJI opening the box, it was completed and shipped.  I am guessing that when I submitted the repair request, someone knew that return time was better in Texas (maybe due to COVID).  In my case the repair cost me just under $30 in parts and $65 service.  DJI paid shipping cost both ways.  I can't complain about any of that!  UPS says I will get it back on Monday - I hope so, I miss my Mini!

If you want, you can read my much longer description of my crash at:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=224044
2020-9-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Send to DJI for sure
2020-9-18
Use props
christian88
lvl.2
Canada

K6CCC Posted at 9-18 13:51
I can only give some information regarding my recent DJI repair.  I don't have Care Refresh on my Mini because I had no idea what it was when I activated it.  I had a minor crash that resulted in a small amount of damage.  I submitted a repair request and DJI sent me a UPS shipping label.  Interestingly they had me ship it to Texas even though there is a service center less than 30 miles from me in southern California.  Sent it off to them, and within 28 hours of DJI opening the box, it was completed and shipped.  I am guessing that when I submitted the repair request, someone knew that return time was better in Texas (maybe due to COVID).  In my case the repair cost me just under $30 in parts and $65 service.  DJI paid shipping cost both ways.  I can't complain about any of that!  UPS says I will get it back on Monday - I hope so, I miss my Mini!

If you want, you can read my much longer description of my crash at:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=224044

Thanks for the reply! You had quite the story and happy to see that your mini is coming back home very soon!

Although you are happy with your DJI repair process through them directly, I think it pushes me even further towards getting it repaired here at the authorized repair centre.

I can assume the cost of my repair will be very similar to yours, and that is more than what was quoted to me locally. Additionally, it seems like you are getting your drone back in about 15 days, which I am very happy about if I go that route, but it seems I should get it back sooner if I go locally. Plus I think mine would go to Texas as well, so there would be more delays due to cross-border.

The service centre I am talking about is 1 of the 3 listed by DJI in Canada
https://www.dji.com/ca/service/repair/centers

Am I missing anything?

AJ, do you disagree with my reasoning?
2020-9-18
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

I agree with aj, DJI for sure. if you send to unathourized dealer, it WILL void all your warranty and replacement immediately.
2020-9-18
Use props
christian88
lvl.2
Canada

amir_KING Posted at 9-18 14:54
I agree with aj, DJI for sure. if you send to unathourized dealer, it WILL void all your warranty and replacement immediately.

But this location is an AUTHORIZED dealer, not UNAUTHORIZED.

So what I am wondering is what are the cons to taking it to an AUTHORIZED dealer?

2020-9-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi Christian, I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your Mavic Mini. As per check, we have an Authorized Service Center in Canada, which is authorized by DJI to provide warranty repairs for DJI products. Products repaired at an Authorized Service Center will continue to be warranted by DJI. You may check it from this website: https://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers

If you want to use the DJI Care Refresh, kindly please contact our support team via http://www.dji.com/support to open a case and send it in to the DJI official repair center for service. Thanks.
2020-9-18
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

christian88 Posted at 9-18 14:58
But this location is an AUTHORIZED dealer, not UNAUTHORIZED.

So what I am wondering is what are the cons to taking it to an AUTHORIZED dealer?

Oh, sorry. Then take it there, no problem!
2020-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules