Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Poor Quality Video in Movie Maker
4559 15 2015-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cfovargue
lvl.1

United States

Hey all,

I got some great shots today that I wanted to make into my first video but when uploaded to Movie Maker the quality was junk. The movies were shot in MOV and quickly browsing this forum I'm finding that MP4 works best, is that true? Does that mean my MOV videos are lost from today or do you have recommendations to convert it and upload the high quality footage?

What program do you prefer for putting movies together? I saw some liked the GoPro app.

Thank you very much.
2015-6-23
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The quality should be exactly the same between MOV and MP4 files. If you have a Mac, record in MOV format. And, if using Windows, record in MP4 format.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-23
Use props
cfovargue
lvl.1

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-6-24 11:14
The quality should be exactly the same between MOV and MP4 files. If you have a Mac, record in MOV f ...

Thank you for the quick reply. I have a Windows computer, so would your suggestion to just convert it to MP4 and I should be golden?
2015-6-23
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

cfovargue@gmail Posted at 2015-6-24 11:15
Thank you for the quick reply. I have a Windows computer, so would your suggestion to just convert ...

Cf,

It could just be the preview you're viewing or your output. I'm using Movie Maker and although it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles, it does a fine job from a quality perspective. Are you using "Windows Live Movie Maker 2011" or just an old version of Movie Maker? If it's an older version, search for the one I mentioned above and download it for free from Microsoft. Don't install it unless it's coming from MS. Here, I went and found the link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29223

Jerry
2015-6-23
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

cfovargue@gmail Posted at 2015-6-24 11:15
Thank you for the quick reply. I have a Windows computer, so would your suggestion to just convert ...

No, I'm only suggesting that the MP4 format is more commonly used on Windows. I've edited MOV files in Windows Movie Maker many times and they turned out just fine.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-6-23
Use props
cfovargue
lvl.1

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-6-24 11:49
No, I'm only suggesting that the MP4 format is more commonly used on Windows. I've edited MOV files ...

Jerry/Phantom Help,

You were right, I saved the file in high def then re-watched and it looked great! Now for the editing process!
2015-6-23
Use props
SULTAN This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-23
Use props
cfovargue
lvl.1

United States

SULTAN Posted at 2015-6-24 15:57
The movie maker, reduces the quality of the video for fast video editing.  The preview window doesn' ...

Thanks guys, here is how the video turned out! I wish Youtube would automatically play the highest quality but you will have to adjust it to 1080P in settings, 4K isn't showing up yet.

2015-6-24
Use props
SULTAN This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-24
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-6-24 11:41
Cf,

It could just be the preview you're viewing or your output. I'm using Movie Maker and althoug ...

In the dark recesses of my mind - i.e., I think I saw this but I may be wrong!

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the current version of MovieMaker doesn't do what one of the older versions could do, *but* there's a codec you can download that will improve the current version of MovieMaker so it acts more like the older version of MovieMaker. I guess Microsoft thinks it's some kind of feature. I think they've done the same thing with MediaPlayer - doncha just wish they'd put the stuff out there, give us a choice and let us decide whether we truly want the new, improved whatever?

Remember that old, old James Coburn movie where AT&T was trying to take over the world. I think it was called The President's Analyst. Lots of tongue-in-cheek humor. Makes you wonder some times though - are AT&T, Apple and Microsoft in cahoots?

You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you! LOL
2015-6-24
Use props
cfovargue
lvl.1

United States

SULTAN Posted at 2015-6-24 17:03
Nice work,

I see that most of the video was taking while the P3 hovering, I think it will be more  ...

Thanks Sultan, I ordered the filters about 2 weeks ago and still waiting for them to arrive! I agree on flying more, was just a little hesitant! haha
2015-6-24
Use props
christing
lvl.2

Japan

I think I have something useful to share with you.

MOV videos recorded from DJI Phantom is incompatible with Windows Movie Maker, as a compressed output format and they are not ideal for editing in most NLEs including Windows Movie Maker. In addition, currently Windows Movie Maker lacks support for 4K videos. To solve those problems, the quick workaround is to transcode Phantom MOV files to Windows Movie Maker natively supported formats (WMV/AVI are highly recommended) in proper settings.
2016-8-31
Use props
PhanFran
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Italy

christing Posted at 2016-9-1 07:19

MOV videos recorded from DJI Phantom is incompa ...

Sorry, but this is just not true.
Moviemaker accepts MP4, MOV and a lot of other type of files without any problem at all.
MP4 and MOV videofiles are almost identical by the way. The.MOV files are only slightly packaged in a different way, as the .mov-standard was created by Apple and they always want their own format. But, as said, it is identical to the MP4.
2016-9-1
Use props
mostusefultrick
New

Philippines

I am having a problem with Windows Movie Maker for Windows 7 when trying to save a movie when the movie clips end up being over a hour combined in length time. I get an error message saying the video file may be corrupt or an unrecognized file type.  
2018-8-27
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

christing Posted at 2016-8-31 21:19

MOV videos recorded from DJI Phantom is incompatible with Windows Movie Maker, as a compressed output format and they are not ideal for editing in most NLEs including Windows Movie Maker. In addition, currently Windows Movie Maker lacks support for 4K videos. To solve those problems, the quick workaround is to transcode Phantom MOV files to Windows Movie Maker natively supported formats (WMV/AVI are highly recommended) in proper settings.

Note that there are TWO versions of Movie Maker ....

The Live Movie Maker which has the simpler work board where the Video loads to frames right half of screen and plays the video left half of screen. There being no time lines or audio lines along bottom of screen. LMM accepts MP4, AVI and MOV files but not WMV.

Then there's Windows Movie Maker that is the not so simple to use frame / time line format.  Which only accepted WMV files before but I believe 2018 version may accept other formats.

Nigel

I have both loaded but always end up using Live Movie Maker simple ... it does a good job ...
2018-8-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

mostusefultrick Posted at 2018-8-27 20:47
I am having a problem with Windows Movie Maker for Windows 7 when trying to save a movie when the movie clips end up being over a hour combined in length time. I get an error message saying the video file may be corrupt or an unrecognized file type.

You may be encountering max file size ... and the FAT is rejecting it.

Nigel
2018-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules