Mavic air gimbal question
563 19 2020-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912185 ft
Canada

Hi, i have noticed that when i release the control sticks sudenly on my MA, it almost lookes like the gimbal is taking half a second to respond, then has to correct itself. This is not in sport mode. This doesn't tend to happen if i slowly release the control sticks. I am not to worried about this, im just wondering if anyone else has experience this and if its normal. It is almost hard to notice if your are not looking for it. I made a short video. Watch to the end. Thanks

2020-9-19
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

You do need to film it from 2nd camera, what drone is doing IMO when You quick relase sticks, drone even in normal mode get quite hard angle to breake/center itself. any wind here (U are "few" meters above tree level, so I would expect some wind there) will also change drone behavior, as it might be tilted to fight wind to keep gps coords.

it's tiny gimbal, and I'm not expecting from it perfect stops/stabilisation when doing such quick turns/breaking, that's why there is tripod mode to smooth/slow every action
and there is also max angle it can move - many times when flying in stronger wind You will see that there was max angle tilt hit by gimbal, and it will be visible in video.

around 36-38sec of vid, where is floats left-right few times, that's what I would like to see from 2nd camera+logs from stick movement/motors, other stops I would call "normal"

2020-9-19
Use props
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Canada

KREMi Posted at 9-19 10:37
You do need to film it from 2nd camera, what drone is doing  IMO when You quick relase sticks, drone even in normal mode get quite hard angle to breake/center itself. any wind here (U are "few" meters above tree level, so I would expect some wind there) will also change drone behavior, as it might be tilted to fight wind to keep gps coords.

it's tiny gimbal, and I'm not expecting from it perfect stops/stabilisation when doing such quick turns/breaking, that's why there is tripod mode to smooth/slow every action

From 36-38 i was moving the drone back and forth sidways. I am not expecting perfect results every time from such a small gimbal, im just curious if this is normal. This happens even if there is no wind. Im not to worried because as long as i am smooth on the sticks it is fine. Thanks for the reply
2020-9-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What mode were you flying in?
2020-9-20
Use props
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 9-20 03:41
What mode were you flying in?

Gps, i wasn't using sport mode. Its very minor, and you almost have to look for it to notice it, i'm just wondering if it is normal. Thanks for the reply
2020-9-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Drone Exploration Posted at 9-20 07:04
Gps, i wasn't using sport mode. Its very minor, and you almost have to look for it to notice it, i'm just wondering if it is normal. Thanks for the reply

And what flying mode?
Not sure about the MA if it has various mode (cinematic etc.)
2020-9-20
Use props
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 9-20 07:26
And what flying mode?
Not sure about the MA if it has various mode (cinematic etc.)

Just normal gps mode. You almost have to look for it to notice it, im just wondering if it is normal. Have you noticed anything similar with your drones when being agresive on the controls?
2020-9-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Drone Exploration Posted at 9-20 09:42
Just normal gps mode. You almost have to look for it to notice it, im just wondering if it is normal. Have you noticed anything similar with your drones when being agresive on the controls?

But no flight mode like cinematic?
2020-9-20
Use props
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 9-20 10:07
But no flight mode like cinematic?

The MA has flight modes like cinematic, but i wasn't using them
2020-9-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Drone Exploration Posted at 9-20 19:43
The MA has flight modes like cinematic, but i wasn't using them

Ah ok.
The one more thing I can think off are the gimbal sensitivity + EXP / GAIN settings. Not sure if MA has them though.
2020-9-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I never noticed that on my MA when I had it - the gimbal stability was one of it's best features
2020-9-20
Use props
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Canada

A J Posted at 9-20 23:30
I never noticed that on my MA when I had it - the gimbal stability was one of it's best features
Thanks, it can be quite hard to notice, so it might be normal. Infact, if it isn't normal, i wouldn't be surprised if dji doesn't replace it under warranty because its so minor. My warranty runs out soon, so im just making sure that everything is working as it should before my warranty ends. Edit: whatever drone you have now, if you fly back and forth without trying to be smooth on the sticks, do you notice any slight camera movement?
2020-9-21
Use props
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 9-20 22:15
Ah ok.
The one more thing I can think off are the gimbal sensitivity + EXP / GAIN settings. Not sure if MA has them though.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt EXP/GAIN settings for the drone movement, not the gimbal?
2020-9-21
Use props
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Canada

I know that it's hard to tell without actually seeing the drone, but what do you think that I should do? Keep it the way it is or send it to dji to see what they think? I don't really want to pay for shipping if dji is just going to say that its normal...
2020-9-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Drone Exploration Posted at 9-21 14:23
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt EXP/GAIN settings for the drone movement, not the gimbal?

It is, but the amount of acceleration / deceleration will also affect the corrections the gimbal has to make to remain level. So when you lower the speed in which the drone reacts to user input (usually acceleration / deceleration) the gimbal does not have to correct as much and won't make these jumps.
Just look at your drone when you make a hard stop. It suddenly tilts drastically and the gimbal will try to compensate for that.
So yes, first  I would test various gimbal settings, next experiment with exp / gain.
2020-9-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone Exploration Posted at 9-21 14:16
Thanks, it can be quite hard to notice, so it might be normal. Infact, if it isn't normal, i wouldn't be surprised if dji doesn't replace it under warranty because its so minor. My warranty runs out soon, so im just making sure that everything is working as it should before my warranty ends. Edit: whatever drone you have now, if you fly back and forth without trying to be smooth on the sticks, do you notice any slight camera movement?

No harm in that - good luck with it
2020-9-22
Use props
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 9-21 23:36
It is, but the amount of acceleration / deceleration will also affect the corrections the gimbal has to make to remain level. So when you lower the speed in which the drone reacts to user input (usually acceleration / deceleration) the gimbal does not have to correct as much and won't make these jumps.
Just look at your drone when you make a hard stop. It suddenly tilts drastically and the gimbal will try to compensate for that.
So yes, first  I would test various gimbal settings, next experiment with exp / gain.

Thanks for all the help, again im not to worried about it, i just want to know if its normal, but i guess it will be kinda hard to tell without actually trying someone else's MA. Exp turned down a bit, but i haven't messed with GAIN too much.
2020-9-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Drone Exploration Posted at 9-22 06:27
Thanks for all the help, again im not to worried about it, i just want to know if its normal, but i guess it will be kinda hard to tell without actually trying someone else's MA. Exp turned down a bit, but i haven't messed with GAIN too much.

With my MP I also sometimes get sudden moves on the gimbal.
Maybe they have improved with the M2... versions
2020-9-22
Use props
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 9-22 06:37
With my MP I also sometimes get sudden moves on the gimbal.
Maybe they have improved with the M2... versions

Ok, thanks for the help
2020-9-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2020-9-22
Use props