1153 8 2015-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
david.spencer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7192 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive noticed more jello these days, any ideas why? I have recived today the complete set of rennant nd filters but not sure if that will make any difference. Could it be because the sun is brighter in these months? I would appreciate any input into this please.

Dave

2015-6-23
Use props
roy86au
lvl.3

Australia

Check for vibrations in your aircraft. The oscillation of the motors/arms are a good cause.
Also check the grommets that are holding the camera plate to the aircraft. Make sure they are connected properly and firmly.
2015-6-23
Use props
david.spencer
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's not a vibrating kind of vibration, it's more like the scooby doo ending in Wayne's world if that makes sense. It doesn't do it all the time but I think it's when the sun is brighter
2015-6-24
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Jello is caused by vibration (CMOS sensor moving before it finishes scanning). As suggested, best bet is to track down any errant vibration.
2015-6-24
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

david.spencer@b Posted at 2015-6-25 06:05
It's not a vibrating kind of vibration, it's more like the scooby doo ending in Wayne's world if tha ...

I agree with the others about vibration but if you do want to pursue your thinking on the brighter sun then here's an idea:

Jello is exaggerated by a faster shutter speed.  You would naturally use a faster shutter when there is more sun to bring the exposure down.   

SO...

On your next test, fly the same route using all of the different ND filters at your disposal.  Don't make the mistake of leaving the exposure the same for each to see just how much each is doing, rather change the exposure for each so each is well balanced and take note of the ISO and shutter speeds for each.

Then go home and compare the different files.  Will be interesting to see if the jello decreases with the shutter speed.

If it doesn't then you're best to investigate the vibration theory.   

If it does then you can put it down to brighter sun!

Jim
2015-6-25
Use props
david.spencer
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Jim I will give it a go
2015-6-27
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-6-25 11:34
Jello is caused by vibration (CMOS sensor moving before it finishes scanning). As suggested, best be ...

Isn´t this why we have the gimbal (to eliminate vibrations) ?

Of course you are right ... to much vibrations is bad ... not only for the video ... but it will also stress your equipment!

When there is no wind my Inspire is crazy smooooooth ...
If you have visible vibrations with no wind you need to get your bird fixed!
When flying in strong winds you will be shaking all over the place ... but you should still be able to get rock solid video out of the camera, thanks to the gimbal ... otherwise something is wrong with your equipment.

Easiest way to avoid jello is to get the shutter speed down by using ND filter.  
2015-6-28
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Would be interested yo hear the outcome?  Let us know?
2015-6-28
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

w1der Posted at 2015-6-28 16:24
Isn´t this why we have the gimbal (to eliminate vibrations) ?

Of course you are right ... to mu ...

Gimbals don't remove jello, they remove movement.

Take the vibration dampeners off your Inspire 1 and your footage (even with the gimbal) will have jello. Vibration will happily resonate through the gimbal motors just like any other part of the airframe. Physics is what it is.

Long story short is if you have jello on a stock Inspire 1 you have a major problem with your airframe. Any vibration that will move through the Inspire 1's isolated gimbal mount is high enough that it will potentially cause issues with your flight controller and this, ultimately, means your aircraft is at risk.

Reducing shutter speed with an ND filter is just a band-aid solution that masks the actual problem: excess vibration. You "need" an ND filter to slow shutter speeds if you can't isolate vibration but it's very much a hack to workaround the actual problem.

2015-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules