5828 32 2020-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

--- I noted this on another thread recently, but I think such information is very important ... ---

My MA2 recently reported an ESC error and did not want to start anymore ... That happened one morning after everything was going well the day before.

"This is actually a guarantee case"  - according to the DJI service, which I could reach by phone.

During the repair, however, it was found that my MA2 has already got "wet" ... There is a test strip inside the MA2 that turns red when the MA2 has gotten wet !!!
A repair was therefore not carried out! For safety reasons, DJI will not repair a drone if the said test strip is colored red !!!

Possibly the moisture on earlier flights came from a (short) rain shower, fog or something similar. However, no problem was ever reported by MA2.
But the ESC error now resulted in DJI refusing to repair the MA2 ...!
I should pay EUR 489.68 for the exchange of the MA2.

Fortunately, I had also completed Care Refresh, so I ended up paying "only" 79 EUR ...

I fear that DJI can quickly refuse a warranty repair in this way, because the pilot cannot check what is "displayed" inside the drone, especially if there has never been a crash - and certainly not into the water.
Moisture, perhaps from a grass landing, cannot of course be ruled out, that is actually the case. But not repairing another error is a "difficult decision" ...

Frank

2020-9-19
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Handy information, thanks for sharing
2020-9-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi Frank, I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your drone, I have managed to get your case number via your forum account, as per check, your Mavic Air 2 has been shipped out on 2020/9/15, hope the drone works well. If there is any further concerns, please feel free to let me know, I'm here for help. Thanks.  
2020-9-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never knew that - thanks for sharing your experience
2020-9-20
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

Useful to know, Thanks
2020-9-20
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Great information....
2020-9-20
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Did they tell you what triggered the ESC error???  Did it have anything to do with the water???  I wonder if taking a nice, cool drone out of an air conditioned house into a very humid outdoors could cause enough condensation internally to trigger the test strip???
2020-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You and all owners should be aware there are also a couple of screws marked by dji and if these screws are removed and replaced your warranty will be void. I think the water one, considering many fly early morning when mist etc is in the air is a bit harsh.
2020-9-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good to know.  Glad you had Care Refresh.  
2020-9-20
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Rustic17 Posted at 9-20 06:08
Did they tell you what triggered the ESC error???  Did it have anything to do with the water???  I wonder if taking a nice, cool drone out of an air conditioned house into a very humid outdoors could cause enough condensation internally to trigger the test strip???

No, they didn't say anything about the ESC error!

Here is the complete (original) wording that was sent to me by email with the cost estimate:

"Warranty status: No warranty. Assessment result: Water marker turned red, 15% discount for a replacement. Reminder: For your safety, we can't get it repaired if the water marker turned red. Your old device will not be returned if you choose to purchase a replacement product with the discount."

I think you know what an ESC error is:
"ESC stands for Electronic Speed Controller. Multi-rotor aircraft rely on speed changes of the motors for directional movements. The ESC's are responsible for telling the motors to speed up or slow down depending on the commands given by the pilot."

I think it is problematic that every repair (guarantee) can be refused without the pilot being given a reason for the failure ...

Frank

2020-9-20
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-20 07:35
Good to know.  Glad you had Care Refresh.

Of course, I was very happy that at least Care Refresh was an option ...
2020-9-20
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Natalia Posted at 9-20 01:08
Hi Frank, I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your drone, I have managed to get your case number via your forum account, as per check, your Mavic Air 2 has been shipped out on 2020/9/15, hope the drone works well. If there is any further concerns, please feel free to let me know, I'm here for help. Thanks.

Hi DJI Natalia,

Thank you for your question!

Yes, the MA2 came back on time and it works...

My annoyance is that a sudden error (ESC error) was not covered by the warranty because the built-in test strip changed its color. Since I don't know - and even the DJI Service couldn't tell me whether fog or a few raindrops had caused the color change - I'm now very insecure!

Can't nobody at DJI find out whether the moisture (on the test strip) actually leads to the otherwise perfect MA2 being a hazard?

How do you know whether the test strip has long since changed its color, even though the MA2 is working normally?

Only if a component fails (ESC error) does DJI claim that a repair is not an option?
I can't understand that !!!

Frank

2020-9-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

frankymusik Posted at 9-20 08:09
Hi DJI Natalia,

You make some great points.  Doubt you'll get a valid reply from a Mod though.
2020-9-20
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-20 08:40
You make some great points.  Doubt you'll get a valid reply from a Mod though.

Maybe you are right.  
It's a shame ...

2020-9-20
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Rustic17 Posted at 9-20 06:08

BTW,
on the service page of my case (at DJI) I could see the following picture ...:   

The red arrow was drawn in by the DJI service ...

The red arrow was drawn in by the DJI service ...
2020-9-20
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 9-20 06:29
You and all owners should be aware there are also a couple of screws marked by dji and if these screws are removed and replaced your warranty will be void. I think the water one, considering many fly early morning when mist etc is in the air is a bit harsh.

They certainly cover themselves
2020-9-20
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 9-20 23:44
BTW,

Lets just hope it doest turn red without touching water!
2020-9-20
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

This happens regularly on phones due to condensation when you move it from hot to cold or the other way around.
2020-9-21
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the information.
2020-9-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The moisture condensation occurs on glasses when a person walk from cold outside to warmer indoor. It is a well known annoyance. However, the condensation shouldn't NOT happen internally when the object (a drone in this case) is moved from humid outdoor into usually warmer and dryer indoor. In any case it is unlikely that the humid air will condensate to the point of triggering strip's coloration. Therefore I will assume that - indeed - your drone interior was exposed to a water in form of rain or fog.

Was it enough to cause the damage down the road? Perhaps not, but who knows? For DJI, however, water indicator is just one of the tools to eradicate potentially fraudulent warranty claims. Unfortunately you've been victimized by one of these rare extremities of Mother Nature ...

2020-9-21
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-21 11:07
The moisture condensation occurs on glasses when a person walk from cold outside to warmer indoor. It is a well known annoyance. However, the condensation shouldn't NOT happen internally when the object (a drone in this case) is moved from humid outdoor into usually warmer and dryer indoor. In any case it is unlikely that the humid air will condensate to the point of triggering strip's coloration. Therefore I will assume that - indeed - your drone interior was exposed to a water in form of rain or fog.

Was it enough to cause the damage down the road? Perhaps not, but who knows? For DJI, however, water indicator is just one of the tools to eradicate potentially fraudulent warranty claims. Unfortunately you've been victimized by one of these rare extremities of Mother Nature ...

... unfortunately it will have been like that.      

It's just a shame that you have to trust what DJI finds in its repair center, but may not even be able to prove it ...

2020-9-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

frankymusik Posted at 9-21 13:31

It's just a shame that you have to trust what DJI finds in its repair center, but may not even be able to prove it ...

I've discovered this (clever, I must admit) water damage indicator years ago when my Phantom 3 Pro took a brief dip in a pristine mountain creek. 30 second bath was enough to make a hidden battery sticker bright red. The bird and battery survived after tedious disassembly and several days of sun drying ...
2020-9-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

frankymusik Posted at 9-21 13:31

You do have right to appeal as well as asking for photo proof . And challenging is needed, although you still might have lost. Bringing your case regarding simple damp air may put them under some pressure to reevaluate their one for all treatment of those who may well be genuine. Just a thought.
2020-9-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

frankymusik Posted at 9-20 08:09
Hi DJI Natalia,

Hi Frank, thanks for the information, glad to know that your drone works well. I fully understand your situation, I'll help to forward your doubts to the related team for a check.
2020-9-21
Use props
Fat Panda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31050 ft
Hong Kong

frankymusik Posted at 9-20 23:44
BTW,

Sorry to read this, according to the picture that you provided, it was likely the water damage.

2020-9-22
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Fat Panda Posted at 9-22 04:23
Sorry to read this, according to the picture that you provided, it was likely the water damage.

... I don't understand the connection?

The MA2 never landed in the water! The MA2 may have become damp due to fog.
The MA2 flew flawlessly, many, many hours. Then one morning - without ever reporting an error - the ESC error ...
A flight in foggy / fenced weather (no intense rain !!!) was months ago !!!

2020-9-22
Use props
Fat Panda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31050 ft
Hong Kong

2020-9-22
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-21 11:07
The moisture condensation occurs on glasses when a person walk from cold outside to warmer indoor. It is a well known annoyance. However, the condensation shouldn't NOT happen internally when the object (a drone in this case) is moved from humid outdoor into usually warmer and dryer indoor. In any case it is unlikely that the humid air will condensate to the point of triggering strip's coloration. Therefore I will assume that - indeed - your drone interior was exposed to a water in form of rain or fog.

Was it enough to cause the damage down the road? Perhaps not, but who knows? For DJI, however, water indicator is just one of the tools to eradicate potentially fraudulent warranty claims. Unfortunately you've been victimized by one of these rare extremities of Mother Nature ...

I can assure you this happens all the time on phones in areas with high humidity and temperature swings.
2020-9-22
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

That is not the point!

I don't know anything about water damage to my MA2! If the MA2 actually got a bit damp (months ago) due to fog, then I don't see any connection with the ESC error !!!

DJI only says that drones with a "colored" test strip will not be repaired ...!

So where the ESC error comes from has not (yet) been clarified at all?

Have all pilots checked to see if their test strip is still OK? How are you supposed to find out if there are no other faults in the operation of the MA2?

That is the problem I see ... So the connection is by no means automatic ...

2020-9-22
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 9-21 14:46
You do have right to appeal as well as asking for photo proof . And challenging is needed, although you still might have lost. Bringing your case regarding simple damp air may put them under some pressure to reevaluate their one for all treatment of those who may well be genuine. Just a thought.

A "photo proof" sounds good ...

I have attached a picture above (see 18#) that DJI left. It shows "any" MA2. Unfortunately, I couldn't open the MA2 before, I should have loosened the sealed screws ...
But I would also have lost the guarantee ...
DJI "sits on the bigger lever", as they say here ...     

2020-9-22
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-21 13:47
I've discovered this (clever, I must admit) water damage indicator years ago when my Phantom 3 Pro took a brief dip in a pristine mountain creek. 30 second bath was enough to make a hidden battery sticker bright red. The bird and battery survived after tedious disassembly and several days of sun drying ...

... a "30 second bath" sounds like an "eternity", doesn't it ...?

But if fog or a few drops of rain lead to discoloration of the indicator, then it is very annoying if a completely different problem later leads to the drone no longer being "allowed" to be repaired ...

2020-9-22
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

frankymusik Posted at 9-22 05:48
... a "30 second bath" sounds like an "eternity", doesn't it ...?

But if fog or a few drops of rain lead to discoloration of the indicator, then it is very annoying if a completely different problem later leads to the drone no longer being "allowed" to be repaired ...

I fully understand your position and believe that your doubts are genuine. I also stated that DJI has no other ways to determine the possible cause of ESC failure, therefore you are a victim of an unfortunate misty weather incident months before. Still, you must agree that water damage indicator is a very effective (although not perfect) tool to fight dishonest warranty claims. Anyway, thank you for exposing this issue here ...
2020-9-22
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-22 10:00
I fully understand your position and believe that your doubts are genuine. I also stated that DJI has no other ways to determine the possible cause of ESC failure, therefore you are a victim of an unfortunate misty weather incident months before. Still, you must agree that water damage indicator is a very effective (although not perfect) tool to fight dishonest warranty claims. Anyway, thank you for exposing this issue here ...

Thank you for the discussion!      
2020-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules