Mavic Air 2 - DJI, why cannot film at 1080 120fps???
5913 30 2020-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
George210477
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Hello DJI
Please release the firmware with record of FHD at 120 FPS...does not matter if is Normal or D-Cine...but not that garbage Slow-Motion that it is now...
I am very sure that the processor can handle it.
The "joke" you have with Slow Motion 120 FPS is for....i dont know for what it is, but is totally useless...Let me record 120fps IN ORDER TO EDIT MYSELF the speed and so on...that crap that is on 120fps Slow Motion is total garbage.
So start IMPROVING !
Thank you.
2020-9-21
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

For those who ask...now is generated a 30fps footage at 120 and 240 fps...pure garbage.
2020-9-21
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Is in your specs... Tell me DJi... Why do i shoot 120 or 240 fps clips in slow motion with 30 fps in a slowed timeline...?
I need 120 fps as in your own specs...on normal timeline.
In Order to be Clear... :
1. Is the specs from your official site with records in FHD capable of 120 and 240 fps.
2. The 120 fps 1080 means that is recorded 120 frames per second in normal timeline, not a 30 fps in slowed timelime...i will slow it down as much as I need...but dont put me to re-edit a footage that should be normal timeline.
3. For an editor to shoot 120/240 fps as 30 fps in a slowed already timeline is stupid. Leave the footage at normal timeline and 120/240 fps, in order have it more easy in the editing programs.
4. You can Leave the Slow Motion there for anyone who use it... But also add in 1080 video selection of the options 120 and 240 fps. Just as 24..30...60...this two must be there, at 1080 selection... Normal or D-Cinelike...I mean is ON YOUR SPECS!!! SHOULD BE THERE!
Thanks
Screenshot_20200921_233159.jpg
2020-9-21
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Keep in mind that I don't have an MA2, so that option is not available to me.  Maybe I'm not understanding your expectations.  Are you expecting that the MA will shoot video at 240fps and your computer will play it back at 240 fps?  Unless I am not understanding something, that is an unrealistic assumption.  YOUR COMPUTER is going to play it back as "normal" speed video because YOUR COMPUTER has no idea what to do with 240 fps - BTW, neither does your eyeball.  That's how Slow Motion works - shoot at a very high frame rate and play it back slower (at a "normal" playback speed).

Or am I completely missing what you are expecting?
2020-9-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

K6CCC Posted at 9-21 18:01
Keep in mind that I don't have an MA2, so that option is not available to me.  Maybe I'm not understanding your expectations.  Are you expecting that the MA will shoot video at 240fps and your computer will play it back at 240 fps?  Unless I am not understanding something, that is an unrealistic assumption.  YOUR COMPUTER is going to play it back as "normal" speed video because YOUR COMPUTER has no idea what to do with 240 fps - BTW, neither does your eyeball.  That's how Slow Motion works - shoot at a very high frame rate and play it back slower (at a "normal" playback speed).

Or am I completely missing what you are expecting?

I agree with you, I am sure he is missing the point completely here, it does not do 120 or 240 fps slow motion, there IS NO SUCH THING!.

I it recording at the selected fram rate, but your computer or whatever does not know how to handle it during playback.
2020-9-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well the OP does have a point about it being in the specs and not qualified otherwise. Not the first time the DJ specs have been very confusing.

Usually it is not the pc that can't handle it, it's the monitor and driver. But there are some high frame rate monitors available now.

2020-9-21
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Is not about handling... Is about editing, as never know if i need 24-30-60 fps from that 120 fps file... And that slow motion at 30fps does not help.
Thanks.
2020-9-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 9-21 20:09
Well the OP does have a point about it being in the specs and not qualified otherwise. Not the first time the DJ specs have been very confusing.

Usually it is not the pc that can't handle it, it's the monitor and driver. But there are some high frame rate monitors available now.

I suppose in a way that DJI should have clarified it in the specs, for those who don't have a clue about cameras.... Everyone else, who fall into the knowlegeable category, would know that any frame rate above 30 will not be played back correctly on most playback systems. The higher frame rates are intended for slow motion applications.
2020-9-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

George210477 Posted at 9-21 20:25
Is not about handling... Is about editing, as never know if i need 24-30-60 fps from that 120 fps file... And that slow motion at 30fps does not help.
Thanks.

The 120 and 240 fps options are meant to be used for slow motion, period.
2020-9-21
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

And this is how we need to use it... But not that Slow Motion made by DJi... That is Not good. That can remain as for hobby... But if you use Premiere or Davinci, you know what i mean.
2020-9-21
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Also there was never a talk about playing 120 fps... But for editing, speed ramps, and so on, you need this... And as the specs say I must be a le to record FHD 120 and 240, but not that Slo-Mo 30 fps...
Thanks.
Still waiting for DJI reaction, as this is serious, also serious is that White Ballance Lock.
Dji, what is your official position???
2020-9-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

George210477 Posted at 9-21 21:42
Also there was never a talk about playing 120 fps... But for editing, speed ramps, and so on, you need this... And as the specs say I must be a le to record FHD 120 and 240, but not that Slo-Mo 30 fps...
Thanks.
Still waiting for DJI reaction, as this is serious, also serious is that White Ballance Lock.

"But not that Slow Motion made by DJi..."

DJI have NOT made slow motion, that is done by your playback or editing system. All that DJI do is record at a faster rate, it is up to your editing or playback app how it handl;es it. Stop blaming DJI!

And you are wasting your time asking for an 'official position', no-one from DJI who has any position read these forums.
2020-9-21
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Wrong. Try First, talk after.
The raw video in slow motion is 120 fps- slowed timeline- at 30 fps saved.
If you take the video from card directly and import it on any editor, you will see. Yes, can be reedited, but takes a lot of Time and loose also control on that footage in Order to bring it back to real tine 120 fps and after convert it in anything you need.
Has nothing to do with playback... I dont play it at 120 fps, even if my 240 Hz monitor can do that, i use it for editing in final 24 or 30 fps Project, as any drone owner does probably.
So... Sorry mate, when i ask something First i look at what it does, what can be done, and after i ask to be fixed if there is something wrong.
DJI as producer is in measure to correct things... I dont expect perfection from start, i am a programmer and know how many bugs can have an app at begining, i dont blame DJI... But that CAN and MUST be corrected, as the specifications says it is, that should be a priority for them.
Best regards.
2020-9-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

George210477 Posted at 9-21 22:42
Wrong. Try First, talk after.
The raw video in slow motion is 120 fps- slowed timeline- at 30 fps saved.
If you take the video from card directly and import it on any editor, you will see. Yes, can be reedited, but takes a lot of Time and loose also control on that footage in Order to bring it back to real tine 120 fps and after convert it in anything you need.

"But that CAN and MUST be corrected, as the specifications says it is, that should be a priority for them."

What are you asking to be corrected? Has it not occured to you that others are able to deal with slow-motion footage?

And waving around your qualifications as a programmer does not impress me, I was probably doing it before you were born. I am also quite skilled in Da Vinci Resolve, and I don't have any issues with 120/240 footage.
2020-9-21
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

What is the purpose of this?
I asked only as specs says.
What says your footage in Davinci? How many fps does have the clip you import directly from card? 120 fps? Or 30 fps?
PS. Is not about you and me, is about specs and what is offered in reality. You can be Matusalem of programming, inventor of Borland C, i really dont care about this. I care about purpose of buying this not cheap drone.
2020-9-21
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I don’t get this. The sole purpose of the 120/240 footage is to slow it down. Are you complaining that it is already slowed down? What’s the difference. Whether it would be running in “real time” and you would have to manually edit it to slow down the parts you want or if it’s the other way around and you get it already slowed down and you just speed back up the rest of the clip, what’s the difference? I would argue the way DJI does it is actually EASIER to edit, as being saved as a 30fps video it can directly be integrated into normal 30fps timelines.
P.S. The aggresive attitude won't help you get too much help here.
2020-9-21
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

No aggression is here... I am soft as a cat în winter )))
Sorry if it was interpreted as roughness.
2020-9-21
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not sure I get this.  

You import the 120 slow-mo clip to a Premier Timeline, it comes in as a 30fps clip (bit of a pain).  If I want to up the speed back I increase the replay rate for the clip to 400% if I want to speed ramp through the clip I apply similar... Yes/No what am I missing ?
2020-9-22
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Andy Uk Posted at 9-22 02:50
Not sure I get this.  

You import the 120 slow-mo clip to a Premier Timeline, it comes in as a 30fps clip (bit of a pain).  If I want to up the speed back I increase the replay rate for the clip to 400% if I want to speed ramp through the clip I apply similar... Yes/No what am I missing ?

Ok. Will do that.
2020-9-22
Use props
vlkkeith
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26985 ft
United States

I know many in the forum aren't agreeing, but I 100% agree with this. Maybe its because my other cameras all give me native 120/240 FPS files, but I would much rather get the "raw" 120FPS and speed ramp or slow it down myself. Atleast give us the option to get a slowed down 30FPS version or a native 120FPS file. Thats how my Z6 handles it atleast.
2020-9-24
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Also my camera and even my phone. The footage is recorded at 120/240 fps without being converted at slow motion 30fps. Easy to work with, as i can see very fast if something is wrong...in slow motion i must fast forward as is slowed down already, in order to see if all is ok (and this things must be done very quick, no time to stay and see all slowed footage.
And 120/240 FPS can be played on my computer without any problems in normal timeline...is also about media player that is used...a lot cannot handle, i tried and failed with 5K Player, VLC, BSPlayer, Windows Media Player (this one actually works with proper codecs installed, but is a lack of fully benefiting from CUDA HW acceleration), i used a while GOM Player that was OK, but seems that PotPlayer is far far more advanced in using Nvidia CUDA for decoding and playback.
(this in case that i need to review the footage before importing in Premiere or Resolve).
2020-9-27
Use props
fanseed079e1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2590108 ft
Sweden

If I understood correctly, the problem is that when shooting slow motion at 120, the final file from the drone is not really 120, but 30 fps?
Right ?
2020-9-28
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Is generating a slow motion file at 30 fps that is slowed down 4x... You can get it back to 120 fps but you need to import and define the timeline at 120 fps in Adobe...or ramp the speed at 4x faster.
Technically is good for beginners... Is easier to work with 30fps and 4x slower for them... For me is extra time lost... So...depends on what is used each individual.
2020-9-28
Use props
djiuser_CMzQDUeCaVsc
lvl.1

United States

The sole purpose of recording 120/240fps is for slo mo are you kidding me? Do you realize how ignorant that sounds? All sports would be blurry or slowed down in your world. Even phones now have 120hz screens and can record and playback 120fps video. I agree with the original post here, when I record a 10 second shot in 120fps it should NOT give me a 40 second video. That is useless garbage with almost zero real world application. Any iPhone user can attest, recording a slo mo video doesn't automatically quadruple the length of the video. Instead you can choose where the video slows down (you can even choose not to slow down) and this is only possible because the video is being played back at a higher fps & dropping to regular fps for the "slo mo" parts. For a camera that is often constantly filming motion sequences (because it happens to be attached to a 40mph flying machine) having the option to film REAL-TIME 120/240fps seems to be a critical oversight.
2020-10-2
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Don't tell me... I know.. ))) i started this post but Dji plays "we do not care" card...
20% of my records goes at 120fps...so...i must use ground camera as I dont have the confidence that MA2 get it well... Is hard to watch 4x slow mo preview and check a footage if needs re-recorded or it is ok, no Time...
2020-10-2
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

What he wants is to transfer his 1080 P 120 fps file to his PC and have the 120 frames for each second of video available to edit and change as he pleases. (As per the MA2 Spec) Currently when down loading the 1080 P 120 fps file to his PC he only has access to 24 fps. The frame rate has been auotmtically reduced by DJI software.
2020-10-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

WE know what he wants, but he isn't going to get it. Oh, and the frame rate has NOT been 'automatically reduced by the DJI software'. You simply have no understanding of what the 120 & 240 fps features are intended for.
2020-10-3
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Droneflier Posted at 10-3 09:49
What he wants is to transfer his 1080 P 120 fps file to his PC and have the 120 frames for each second of video available to edit and change as he pleases. (As per the MA2 Spec) Currently when down loading the 1080 P 120 fps file to his PC he only has access to 24 fps. The frame rate has been auotmtically reduced by DJI software.

Hi Droneflier
The video is 120 fps slowed down 4x at 30 fps.
So the 120 fps is there but for beginners only, already slowed 4x.
For someone who use the drone for other purpose-commercial ones- there is a waste of time to import the movie in Premiere and redifine it in sequence needed.
Sometimes i have 23.976 fps sequence, sometimes is 30fps...
Yes, it can be done, but...
1. Waisting time as drone specifications says 120/240fps and not Slo Mo from this.
2. Hard to review the footage at the moment of recording as instead being normal timeline, is a slowed 4x timeline, that increase the risk of not see an error in footage.
That is my problem... Probably some others problem if they use it for other thing than recreational purpose.
This is why i demand to DJi to make possible this choice at recording... To keep the normal timeline or the slow mo 4x one.
Thanks.
2020-10-4
Use props
Aerial-Image.co.uk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They should just re label it as 'HighFrameRate' or 'HFR' not 'slowmo' as you need to post procees in Premier to see it as 'slow motion'
2020-10-4
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178806 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow! You are completely missing a point of this mode. It's designed as So-Mo so for a majority of users it will be just right as the will get what they intended to record. There are very few apliactions, if any, for playing back high frame rates are real time speed. Human eye doesn't see it so what's the point. If they did it your way majority would have to convert the file befor getting the desired effect. Also mind that you get the same content only the delivery method differs. It's like you asked someone for a 4KG of suger and they've brought you 4 one kilogram bags instead of your imaginary 4KG bag that no one wants and no one makes. As soon as you put that file in a video editor it doesn't matter at all what actual FPS it was saved as. You have a full controll over the timeline FPS and what part of video will be played at what speed. If any DJI support ever read your whining they must have had a right laugh.
2021-7-4
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

I think for me and the majority of drone users the approach DJI has taken seems the logical or most used one. Since we want to SEE slo-mo footage right off the bat or after capturing it, it wouldn't be a smart move to only see it in an editing program. I don't even use an editing program at the moment, I just enjoy the footage as it is in the DJI fly app. I do however also understand the OP about wanting to have the footage in it's raw 120/240fps form to do with it as pleased. Maybe it would be a possibility to have this processed like DJI does the quickshots? You usually get 2 clips, one original and one is the edited quickshot clip (just a thought)
2021-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules