OSMO Action - Helmet mount for Motorcycle vlogging
3170 11 2020-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fasty Rides
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi guys

I am having some issues with my audio quality on on my osmo action.

My set up is as follows.

Action chin mounted with a CYNOVA 3.5mm adapter which has a purple panda mic inside the helmet (inside the chin guard) with the chin vents all closed.

So I am getting a lot of wind noise at high speeds, to the point where I can not here my voice in the audio. I have even had the mic tucked right inside the cheek pad but still get far too much wind noise in the audio.

My first question. If there is a CYNOVA adaptor installed does the osmo action turn off the inbuild mic thats on the front of the camera?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Fasty
2020-9-21
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Where do you mount the mic? Because I get vind noise in my helmet sometimes since it comes in wind from under my chin.
I use external recorder with external mic.
2020-9-22
Use props
Fasty Rides
lvl.1

United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 9-22 01:29
Where do you mount the mic? Because I get vind noise in my helmet sometimes since it comes in wind from under my chin.
I use external recorder with external mic.

hi thanks for replying.

i mount the mic right in front of where my mouth is. I think it could just be a really noisy helmet. its the HJC R-PHA 70.

2020-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Fasty Rides Posted at 9-22 03:43
hi thanks for replying.

i mount the mic right in front of where my mouth is. I think it could just be a really noisy helmet. its the HJC R-PHA 70.

It could be.
Try buying a "deadcat" and put on it to remove most of the wind-noise. The ordinary swamp-thing is not good.
2020-9-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Kindly please provide a short video footage of the issue for better assistance. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2020-9-23
Use props
Fasty Rides
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi guys

Thanks again for the reply's. Here is 2 short clips of the noise.

As for a dead cat, I have had to use a strip cut from a micro fibre cloth and wrapped it round the mic and held in with zip ties. I know its not perfect but the distortion at hi speeds and my voice is very OP.

https://youtu.be/kNX3dvQ0v_U

https://youtu.be/HqgTNF8bN3s
2020-9-25
Use props
Schmoof
lvl.2
United States

You have two issues here to address

1 - You will need to buy an attenuator to correct the microphone gain to a usable level in this scenario.  
2 - Wind noise will be best fought by either using "deadcat" covers and or what I do is mount the mic in my cheek pad so the padding from that does the same thing.

You aren't speaking in these clips but I bet if you did your voice would be very crackly and this is because the OA & Cynova adapter do not adjust properly for a loud situation like with a motorcycle.  I am in the process myself of documenting this and have finally resolved these issues by using an in-line volume attenuator (potentiometer) to decrease the levels.

Search for "Volbox inline audio volume control attenuator 3.5mm 1/8" aux mini" which I bought from Amazon but I'm not sure if this specific part is available globally as it's made and shipped from Canada.

However, this does not correct another issue for me where the OA dynamically adjusts the EQ and is cutting out all the low end of my recordings.  It comes in and out while I speak, almost like a form of noise cancellation and it's pretty weird.

I'm working on making a short demonstration of all of this and will try to post something later today in a new post.  I am hoping if i clearly demonstrate these issues DJI will have something to work with to assist with resolving them.
2020-9-27
Use props
Fasty Rides
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Schmoof Posted at 9-27 04:59
You have two issues here to address

1 - You will need to buy an attenuator to correct the microphone gain to a usable level in this scenario.  

Brilliant, I will give this a go. Thank you.

2020-9-27
Use props
Schmoof
lvl.2
United States

this forum editor is whack
2020-9-27
Use props
Schmoof
lvl.2
United States

If you try the Volbox Mini specifically just be warned it does not come with extra cables and they show them in the photos... annoying when sellers do this...

My lavaliere mic is TRRS and it came with the adapter pictured but I swapped that for the short right angle shown here, only needed if you're going from TRRS to TRS

2020-9-27
Use props
Schmoof
lvl.2
United States

Please check out this demo video I made... hopefully DJI will take this seriously if they realize how bad the issue really is

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=225521
2020-9-27
Use props
Fasty Rides
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Schmoof Posted at 9-27 18:37
Please check out this demo video I made... hopefully DJI will take this seriously if they realize how bad the issue really is

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=225521

Thats a brilliant video explaining the issue with with the OA, I know gopro users do not get this issue. as for the motorbike sound I use a Zoom H2N, which i am still playing around with. I put this under my rear seat cowl and record from there. It may come to the point where i buy another sound recorder an plug my microphone into that to record commentary.

I will make a full video this week showing my set up and how it sounds while riding.

Thanks for all the help Schmoof.

2020-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules