You are a DJI Salesman
647 21 2020-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Magicdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101086 ft
United States

Hi. Imagine for a moment that you are a DJI salesman and I am looking at the DJI Smart Controller which recently became compatible with the Mavic Air 2. Use your sales skills to convince me to buy the Smart Controller. Remember you work by commission but be honest as I can always return the Smart Controller if i feel i was conned. Thanks for staying 6 feet away.
2020-9-22
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

The DJI Smart Controller is perfect for all the drones that it supports period. You can buy it You buy it You cant You dont
2020-9-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

"You will be the coolest guy in the forum after buying this product...better yet two"
2020-9-22
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can actually see the feed under nearly All conditions.  When the phone starts to overheat it gets dimmer even though it shows you max brightness selected which is very deceptive.  If there was an accurate nit indicator, this is the best way to tell brightness levels.
2020-9-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Magicdroner. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared. The DJI Smart Controller benefits from OcuSync 2.0 Full-HD video-transmission technology. This means that the device automatically switches between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz. This helps to reduce the influence of environmental interference on drone operation and image quality .In addition, The DJI Smart Controller is designed to maximize your outdoor flying experience with the DJI Mavic 2 Series Drones and now with the DJI Mavic Air 2.  A 5.5-inch built-in screen displays clear, bright images, even under challenging conditions. Intuitive controls and pre-installed features like the DJI applications get you up in the air quicker, clearer, and more conveniently than ever before. Thank you.
2020-9-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Doesn't the big bright screen sell itself.
2020-9-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-23 00:38
Doesn't the big bright screen sell itself.

All great products do just that mate
2020-9-23
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-22 21:07
Hello and good day Magicdroner. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared. The DJI Smart Controller benefits from OcuSync 2.0 Full-HD video-transmission technology. This means that the device automatically switches between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz. This helps to reduce the influence of environmental interference on drone operation and image quality .In addition, The DJI Smart Controller is designed to maximize your outdoor flying experience with the DJI Mavic 2 Series Drones and now with the DJI Mavic Air 2.  A 5.5-inch built-in screen displays clear, bright images, even under challenging conditions. Intuitive controls and pre-installed features like the DJI applications get you up in the air quicker, clearer, and more conveniently than ever before. Thank you.

The best sales pitch so far
2020-9-23
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Maybe I'm missing something here.  For $750 I get a controller with a built in display (fairly small), so I don't have to hook up my phone or tablet.  What's the plus?  For $750 I can hook up my phone or tablet just fine.

Full disclosure here, I have a Mini so not available for my current drone at all, but I would not rule out an upgrade somewhere down the road (why I read other parts of the forum)...
2020-9-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Having used it with both M2P and zoom I can say it’s the best accessory for flying drones.

It’s has a great screen
It’s a lot more than a RC
The screen is so much better than phone
Time from start to actual flying is a lot quicker
The fact you don’t have to use your phone
Your phone is no longer clogged with photos/videos
Dji may set up two RC to operate craft as they have with other crafts
Build Quality is incredible
And most important keeping separate phone from flying.
2020-9-23
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-22 21:07
Hello and good day Magicdroner. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared. The DJI Smart Controller benefits from OcuSync 2.0 Full-HD video-transmission technology. This means that the device automatically switches between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz. This helps to reduce the influence of environmental interference on drone operation and image quality .In addition, The DJI Smart Controller is designed to maximize your outdoor flying experience with the DJI Mavic 2 Series Drones and now with the DJI Mavic Air 2.  A 5.5-inch built-in screen displays clear, bright images, even under challenging conditions. Intuitive controls and pre-installed features like the DJI applications get you up in the air quicker, clearer, and more conveniently than ever before. Thank you.

DJI Stephen has my vote for DJI Saleman of the year!!
2020-9-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

yeah this can't always be explained in words.  I tried it for the first time today, flying my ma2 without using the iPhone.  it's a totally different experience for me and the number one feature:  very bright display so I can see where I am flying.  changes everything but you have to go hands on to realize the difference; then it will hit home.  the ma2 would have been a great product to introduce a few months ago along with scm2 but i guess covid changed everything.  imagine "smart controller air" with 2000 nits, increase range, lighter and thinner, and super fast boot up with google play store installed, etc.
2020-9-23
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

I'll have to take you guy's words on it.  I just have a hard time seeing where a display that is smaller than my phone, and much smaller than a tablet and a couple more buttons is worth the price.  I don't like flying with my iPhone 8 because the display is so much smaller than my Android, and I'm still thinking about getting a tablet in order to get a larger display.  The Smart Controller display is in between the size of the iP8 and my Android.  

Full disclosure, I HATE my @#$%^&* iPhone so I'm a little biased.  I flew my Mini once with it just to prove that it all worked (and it gives me a backup in case the Android dies while I'm out in the field - yes, I carry the cable).
2020-9-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Firstly, it has this build-in bright screen, which makes monitoring a joy in a daylight, not a struggle to see anything on a smartphone. Secondly, it makes your drone ready to fly in a fraction of time normally required with standard setup. It does many other things more or less relevant, but not possible with smartphone. But the most important feature is the display, bright and nice ... wait, I said that already, didn't I?
2020-9-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

K6CCC Posted at 9-23 12:09
I'll have to take you guy's words on it.  I just have a hard time seeing where a display that is smaller than my phone, and much smaller than a tablet and a couple more buttons is worth the price.  I don't like flying with my iPhone 8 because the display is so much smaller than my Android, and I'm still thinking about getting a tablet in order to get a larger display.  The Smart Controller display is in between the size of the iP8 and my Android.  

Full disclosure, I HATE my @#$%^&* iPhone so I'm a little biased.  I flew my Mini once with it just to prove that it all worked (and it gives me a backup in case the Android dies while I'm out in the field - yes, I carry the cable).

You need to look at it from a practicality perspective. You take the SC out the bag, press and hold one button, put it down to boot itself up whilst you take out the drone, unfold the arms, remove the gimbal protector, turn on the flight battery then pick up the SC and tap go fly - in approx one-minute from arriving at your flight location you are ready for take off...

It can also operate in extreme temperatures so the screen won't dim on the 3rd or 4th flight flying in up to 40c temps or in sub zero temps. The HDMI port enables the use of FPV or secondary monitors for a client to observe the footage in real time. The micro SD card port enables a back up in the event you lose the footage from the drone. The Android OS enables the use of multiple apps hence, it is not just a remote. This includes social media and editing apps.

The battery will also hold a charge long enough for several flights - a whole days flying in most cases without needing a charge so no more power bank adaptor.

Then we have the fact there are no cables to attach, no phone to hook up with calls and texts popping up when flying and we have a 5.5" screen with 1000 nits of brightness: no more sun hoods, standing under trees or turning your back to the sun so you can actually see what you are filming. That is essentially what makes it - the ability to compose the image or shoot in real time without the screen being washed out and ultimately ruining the shot.

It is also compatible with several DJI drones now so if you own more than one it will free up even more space in the backpack as you'll just have the one remote for your M2P/M2Z/MA2/M2E/P4PV2.

Is it worth it? Well, you will have to cache maps at home over WiFi before heading to your flight location (if you use the maps), it is very well known that iOS performs more reliably than Android with DJI apps, updates on Android tend to follow iOS (the SC is on 1.1.6, iOS is already on 1.1.9) and a 5.5" screen (even a bright one) may not meet the requirements of someone who doesn't have 20/20 vision. Then the big elephant in the room is the price tag.  It costs £579 or US$750 - almost the same price as a Mavic Air 2. So if you are a casual user and 750 bucks is a lot of cash to you then simply forget it. If you are a commercial operator with multiple drones then it is a great investment. If you are a seasoned hobbyist and have deeper pockets with a compatible drone then get your wallet out and enjoy the benefits it will bring to your hobby but no, it is not essential and you can still enjoy your drone with your phone. In fact, your top end iPhone will offer features the SC doesn't...
2020-9-23
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

K6CCC Posted at 9-23 10:46
Maybe I'm missing something here.  For $750 I get a controller with a built in display (fairly small), so I don't have to hook up my phone or tablet.  What's the plus?  For $750 I can hook up my phone or tablet just fine.

Full disclosure here, I have a Mini so not available for my current drone at all, but I would not rule out an upgrade somewhere down the road (why I read other parts of the forum)...

May get an update soon but it will never be compatible with the SC. Mavic Mini is wifi only
2020-9-23
Use props
pawnie
lvl.2

Canada

The only thing people have mentioned in this thread that makes me interested in the smart controller is the bright screen. That would be nice. The fast setup time? Meh, takes me literally 30 seconds to attach my phone. Everything else about "more features" is vague with no examples. Very curious about this device but I would need something more than a brighter screen.
2020-9-23
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

The GPS nav unit in my boat has the same kind of LCD screen (powered by 12v engine battery,. extremely bright even in strong direct sunlight. It's all because of the larger power source. Phones and tablets would need a far larger battery to match it.
2020-9-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Suren Posted at 9-23 10:27
The best sales pitch so far

Hi there Suren. Thank you for the reply and for continuously supporting DJI. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2020-9-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

JodyB Posted at 9-23 11:26
DJI Stephen has my vote for DJI Saleman of the year!!

Hi there JodyB. Thank you for the reply and for continuously supporting DJI. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2020-9-24
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

I didn’t need any convincing! As soon as I heard that the SC was now compatible with the MA2, I ordered one - should be here on Monday! Happy days!!
2020-9-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-24 23:23
Hi there Suren. Thank you for the reply and for continuously supporting DJI. Have a safe and a happy flying always.  .

2020-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules