Custom Unlocking Issues
628 3 2020-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tgpenrod
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1194295 ft
United States

Does anyone have any information about FAA No-Fly zone authorization and the LAANC system?

My situation is this, my team and I are the video production team for a university that lies very close to our regional airport, and thus are in a no-fly zone. We have had a 2 year waiver from the FAA to fly before, but when the LAANC system came out we switched to that. Well, DJI tightened their restrictions with the no-fly zones and no longer allow you to even take off without either a "self-unlock" or "custom unlock". And now, because the LAANC system works by requesting for each flight, and does not cover a long period of time, DJI will only unlock for us one day at a time, which completely defeats the purpose of having a "custom unlock".

So my question is this, has the FAA officially moved on from doing waivers for allowing flights within no-fly zones in favor of using the case-by-case LAANC system? That is my understanding but DJI Support staff Lucas Sun is refusing to accept this. Am I just wrong? I can't wrap my head around why DJI is being so difficult about this and refusing to give us an unlock for an extended period of time. From my understanding, it isn't even their responsibility to be such a guardian of the rules.

Thanks in advance,
2020-9-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi!
You might be better off posting your question in the 'products' section of this forum.
That is way more active.
2020-9-23
Use props
tgpenrod
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1194295 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-23 23:28
Hi!
You might be better off posting your question in the 'products' section of this forum.
That is way more active.

Will try that. Thanks!
2020-9-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

tgpenrod Posted at 9-24 04:13
Will try that. Thanks!

No problem!