Custom Unlocking Issues / FAA Policy
689 11 2020-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tgpenrod
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1194295 ft
United States

Does anyone have any information about FAA No-Fly zone authorization and the LAANC system?

My situation is this, my team and I are the video production team for a university that lies very close to our regional airport, and thus are in a no-fly zone. We have had a 2 year waiver from the FAA to fly before, but when the LAANC system came out we switched to that. Well, DJI tightened their restrictions with the no-fly zones and no longer allow you to even take off without either a "self-unlock" or "custom unlock". And now, because the LAANC system works by requesting for each flight, and does not cover a long period of time, DJI will only unlock for us one day at a time, which completely defeats the purpose of having a "custom unlock".

So my question is this, has the FAA officially moved on from doing waivers for allowing flights within no-fly zones in favor of using the case-by-case LAANC system? That is my understanding but DJI Support staff Lucas Sun is refusing to accept this. Am I just wrong? I can't wrap my head around why DJI is being so difficult about this and refusing to give us an unlock for an extended period of time. From my understanding, it isn't even their responsibility to be such a guardian of the rules.

Thanks in advance,

2020-9-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use Kitty Hawk. Link it with you Go4 app. You will get authorization in less than 5 minutes.
2020-9-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Yes I have my Part 107
2020-9-24
Use props
tgpenrod
lvl.2
United States

Woe Posted at 9-24 07:04
I use Kitty Hawk. Link it with you Go4 app. You will get authorization in less than 5 minutes.

Unfortunately my problem is with DJI and not the FAA. I asked about the FAA because I'm curious if anyone else can verify that the FAA no longer gives out 2 year waivers for operation in controlled airspace. My problem is that we switched to using the LAANC system (with AirMap), so DJI won't give us a custom unlock for a period longer than a day because we don't have a 2 year waiver. Does that make sense?
2020-9-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

tgpenrod Posted at 9-24 07:11
Unfortunately my problem is with DJI and not the FAA. I asked about the FAA because I'm curious if anyone else can verify that the FAA no longer gives out 2 year waivers for operation in controlled airspace. My problem is that we switched to using the LAANC system (with AirMap), so DJI won't give us a custom unlock for a period longer than a day because we don't have a 2 year waiver. Does that make sense?

Sorry to say but I believe they did do away with the waivers with the
release of LAANC.
2020-9-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

tgpenrod Posted at 9-24 07:11

From what you have written, it sounds like you need to get in contact with FAA.  Get answer from FAA as to Yes or No in regards to 2-year waiver.
If answer is Yes, get the waiver and get DJI to do a custom unlock.
If answer is No, since you say you switched to LAANC system, see if you can switch back to what was working previously?
2020-9-24
Use props
tgpenrod
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 9-24 10:17
From what you have written, it sounds like you need to get in contact with FAA.  Get answer from FAA as to Yes or No in regards to 2-year waiver.
If answer is Yes, get the waiver and get DJI to do a custom unlock.
If answer is No, since you say you switched to LAANC system, see if you can switch back to what was working previously?

I heard from our UAS Program Director, he has already talked to the FAA and they said a waiver for this application would not be given, they've moved entirely to the LAANC system, at least at our airport. So DJI's recommendation so far has been to apply for an unlock for every single flight, which would be multiple times a week for us. I'm pushing customer support to let me speak with someone higher up because from what I've been able to determine, this policy of theirs that requires a waiver is outdated.
2020-9-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best recommendation for this query. Thank you.
2020-9-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

tgpenrod Posted at 9-24 10:27
I heard from our UAS Program Director, he has already talked to the FAA and they said a waiver for this application would not be given, they've moved entirely to the LAANC system, at least at our airport. So DJI's recommendation so far has been to apply for an unlock for every single flight, which would be multiple times a week for us. I'm pushing customer support to let me speak with someone higher up because from what I've been able to determine, this policy of theirs that requires a waiver is outdated.

Bummer.  

Wish you best of luck of getting connected with higher ups.  The new norm for most companies is customers don't get to talk to anyone above basic help.   Been dealing with that issue at two large companies.     

Maybe you can get UAS Program Director to buy an "Outlaw Drone".  
2020-9-26
Use props
djiuser_IwdHzWHf1ZEL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62808 ft
United States

so i got approval to fly in a class d airspace yesterday by way of kittyhawk app. is there anything i should have done with my dji app before flying, like enter confirmation code or something or just flown with the kittyhawk app? dji app had me except liability before flying  fyi

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3394914447231487&id=100001388957057
2020-9-28
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2020-9-25 06:52
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best recommendation for this query. Thank you.

Flysafe issues.

I also need a long term waivers, getting unlock code each time is cumbersome and a wasting valuable time at work, we have already stated move from DJI because of it. We will need to completely move away from DJI if this feature is not changed soon. This feature designed for amature UAS pilots. If a customer produces a  FAA 107 Certification DJI must unlock the drone when it logged into it DJIGo or DJI Pilot app with it matching user.  It's unheard of a company can have access to drones locations that fly missions from PICs with NDAs in place or fly for infrastructure companies that have valid security concerns.  What is going to take to get Wide ara waiver for licenced pilot and 107 certified pilot to get there own properties keys?
The 500m height limit is also not realistic in a search in rescue or inspection of ski areas. Even with waiver of BLOS. another lock for the non professional aggravating the us.

Please PM a name of someone at DJI that can do something to rectify this.
2021-4-25
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2020-9-24 07:04

Explain linking please.
2021-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules