My Mavic Air 2 Can Not Dodge The Obstacle
2412 21 2020-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
erment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 701427 ft
United Kingdom

There was no problem until yesterday,but failed to bypass obstacles during today's 3 test flights.The craft just stops instead of bypassing when the obstacle comes in front or behind of it.Meanwhile, all flights have been done in normal mode with bypass mode active on safety tab.What I have done so far:
-sensors are calibrated succesfully via dji assistant 2 for mavic,
-imu and compass calibrated succesfully,
-both craft and controller s latest firmware (01.00.0340)refreshed via dji assistant 2 for mavic,
-dji fly app (V1.1.8) deleted and reinstalled on my samsung galaxy s6 edge plus(I've always used the same phone until today)
After all the operations mentioned above I made another test flight with no success..As I said, when it detects any obstacle infront or behind it just brakes,nothing more
edit:
if I get the opportunity tomorrow I will try to make another flight test with updated smart controller
I will report the result of the trial, by the way, I would be pleased if anyone has an opinion on this subject
2020-9-24
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

I was going to post a thread, but this sounds like my issue.

Bypass in tripod mode not available.  Latest firmware per 09-24-2020.  Is tis new?
2020-9-24
Use props
erment
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Akirasho Posted at 9-24 07:49
I was going to post a thread, but this sounds like my issue.

Bypass in tripod mode not available.  Latest firmware per 09-24-2020.  Is tis new?

If you pay attention to what I have written above, you will see that this event occurs in normal mode and yes with latest firmware
2020-9-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Kindly please provide a short sample video of the said issue for better assistance. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2020-9-25
Use props
erment
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-25 07:15
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Kindly please provide a short sample video of the said issue for better assistance. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Hi Paladin,
thank you for your kind intention to my issue,before getting in to deep let me summarize what I did today without further ado..
I encountered a very interesting event on today's flight, I started flying in normal flight mode with bypass mode active as usual. Immediately afterwards  I tried various scenarios to see if she can bypass the obstacles she encountered, but the result was same. She just stops instead of bypassing when the obstacle comes in front or behind of it.
Then after, I also thought that I would start the active track/follow mode and try it again, and as a result there was a big surprise!!, I completed the tour without facing any problems, so she did what she should behave.
The new experience what I have gained as a result of my todays trials; if I start with active follow mode at the very beginning of the flight then switch back to normal mode again, there is no problem during rest of the flight. Otherwise  it just stops when it meets an obstacle instead of bypassing,very strange behave!!!
anyways I will try to post a short sample video of the said issue as soon as I find an opprtunity
2020-9-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

erment Posted at 9-25 08:44
Hi Paladin,
thank you for your kind intention to my issue,before getting in to deep let me summarize what I did today without further ado..
I encountered a very interesting event on today's flight, I started flying in normal flight mode with bypass mode active as usual. Immediately afterwards  I tried various scenarios to see if she can bypass the obstacles she encountered, but the result was same. She just stops instead of bypassing when the obstacle comes in front or behind of it.

Thank you for the additional information and thank you for sharing your personal experience regarding this feature. please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-9-25
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

erment Posted at 9-24 11:08
If you pay attention to what I have written above, you will see that this event occurs in normal mode and yes with latest firmware

You are the one who should pay attention. He said he is having the same issue and was asking if this was  NEW, not suggesting you were not updated.
2020-9-25
Use props
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Not sure how true this is, but I have read in other posts for Bypass to work the MA2 has to have enough flight travel to build a 3d model of the world around it in order to make the decision to "Bypass" going left, right or over the obstruction. If you are a short distance when you engage Bypass mode, this may not be enough distance for a 3D model build to occur.
2020-9-26
Use props
erment
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Pappy3 Posted at 9-26 03:54
Not sure how true this is, but I have read in other posts for Bypass to work the MA2 has to have enough flight travel to build a 3d model of the world around it in order to make the decision to "Bypass" going left, right or over the obstruction. If you are a short distance when you engage Bypass mode, this may not be enough distance for a 3D model build to occur.

Hi,
Thank you for the explanatory information, I continue to test flights with this topic.
I will try to pay attention to the subject you mentioned on the next flights,and will share the results.Thank you again and I wish you all accident-free flights.
2020-9-26
Use props
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Pappy3 Posted at 9-26 03:54

I just tried testing this theory only to find find out this isn't true. So never mind what I just posted. I had the MA2 already setup with Safety Assistance on and Bypass mode on as well. Took off, turned to fly into a power pole and it went around the pole, elapsed time about 17 seconds.
2020-9-26
Use props
djiuser_pfe7BI0G37MJ
New

United States

Hey all, I’m new to drones. Looking to get a Mavic primarily for its Follow Me capabilities. I do a lot of off roading and dirt biking....first off, which Mavic is better for this, the air or pro?

Should I wait for the Mavic 3 series drones to come out? When will that be?

Lastly, what do I do with the controller when I’m riding my dirt bike? I looked up mounts but there really isn’t anything out there for this specific situation.

Look forward to your advise!
2020-9-26
Use props
erment
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_pfe7BI0G37MJ Posted at 9-26 09:09
Hey all, I’m new to drones. Looking to get a Mavic primarily for its Follow Me capabilities. I do a lot of off roading and dirt biking....first off, which Mavic is better for this, the air or pro?

Hi,
If only follow mode capability is important to you, maybe you should try skydio from outside the Mavic series for example, but if you want to own a drone from the mavic series my personal favorite is the mavic 2 pro or zoom.
As for the mavic 3, I haven't gotten any information beyond rumors so far. I would prefer the original remote control for its light weight,when riding your dirt bike.
if you are looking for a mount for your remote controller you should search youtube. If I am not mistaken, I watched videos on youtube similar to what you are looking for.
2020-9-26
Use props
djiuser_pfe7BI0G37MJ
New

United States

Hey ernent,

Thanks for taking the time out to respond to me!

I have looked at the skydio...if I’m not mistaken the Mavic 2 Pro is about 8 mph faster? That could mean a lot in the desert.

I’ll check out YouTube...I saw some cheesy plastic handlebar mounts online, I’m amazed no one has made anything better.  I may have to weld one up and patent lol
2020-9-27
Use props
erment
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi All,

I made 2 more test flights today, one with a smart controller and the other with the original controller. I set the camera settings to 1080 / 30fps on both controllers in all my attempts.As a result I had full success in all the trials. I have completed the tour without having any single problem.
Additionally, I paid attention to the distance between the object and the drone at least 7-8 meters inorder to give her enough flight travel time to build a correct 3d model of the surrounding around it,as a result she did what she should behave.

By the way I saw that the results were unsuccessful when I set the video settings to above 1080 / 30fps.

I would like to thank all participants who contributed to the solution of the issue with their valuable ideas and positive contributions.

stay healthy…

2020-9-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

erment Posted at 9-28 08:29
Hi All,   I made 2 more test flights today, one with a smart controller and the other with the original controller. I set the camera settings to 1080 / 30fps on both controllers in all my attempts.As a result I had full success in all the trials. I have completed the tour without having any single problem.Additionally, I paid attention to the distance between the object and the drone at least 7-8 meters inorder to give her enough flight travel time to build a correct 3d model of the surrounding around it,as a result she did what she should behave.   By the way I saw that the results were unsuccessful when I set the video settings to above 1080 / 30fps.  I would like to thank all participants who contributed to the solution of the issue with their valuable ideas and positive contributions.  
stay healthy…

Thank you for the additional information, we are happy to know that your previous trouble was resolved. If you have further concern or inquiry, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.
2020-9-29
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1376841 ft
United States

Active Track Trace mode, which is the safest way to use follow me because it uses obstacle avoidance, max out at about 17mph. Parallel mode turns off obstacle avoidance and will do about 24mph. If I understand you, you're riding a motorized bike. I'm sure you'll be going faster than 17mph so take that into consideration. I have no idea what other drones' capabilities are.
2020-9-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2020-9-30
Use props
erment
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi,
thank you for taking the time and sharing information,I will pay more attention to this issue,thanks again
2020-9-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

erment Posted at 9-30 05:11
Hi,
thank you for taking the time and sharing information,I will pay more attention to this issue,thanks again

Pleasure - so many variables that determine if it works or not. I also discovered recently that if you switch from Tripod mode (which disables APAS) to normal mode it remains on break rather back to bypass. So when switching to normal mode be sure to go back into the safety section of the app and select bypass (if you don't want flight assistance to be enabled by pressing the hexagon icon so you can manually roll the drone left/right with bypass enabled).
2020-9-30
Use props
erment
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 9-30 05:15
Pleasure - so many variables that determine if it works or not. I also discovered recently that if you switch from Tripod mode (which disables APAS) to normal mode it remains on break rather back to bypass. So when switching to normal mode be sure to go back into the safety section of the app and select bypass (if you don't want flight assistance to be enabled by pressing the hexagon icon so you can manually roll the drone left/right with bypass enabled).

Hi,
Thank you again for your useful information
stay safe
2020-9-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

erment Posted at 9-30 11:50
Hi,
Thank you again for your useful information
stay safe

You too mate.
2020-9-30
Use props
LoonyFlyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37864 ft
United States

Definitely go for a Skydio if your primary mission is to track and film action scenes. Skydio's implementation of object tracking feature is far superior than DJI's. You'll find YouTube video's comparing both products.
2020-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules