Focus issue mystery
579 7 2020-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
syd\
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33593 ft
United Kingdom

I have just reviewed 3 hours of drone footage, the majority of which is fine but the occasional clip is slightly blurred, even though I made no adjustments between clips. In the early days of using the drone, I made the mistake of touching the tablet screen and all subsequent clips were blurred. Following advice on this forum, I changed the focus setting from AUTO to manual infinity. This seems to work for all clips as they are all distant views. The problem clips are also distant views. For example, out of 5 clips all filmed within minutes of each other, clips 1 & 2 are perfect, clip 3 is blurred, and clips 4 & 5 are perfect. I cannot remember if the drone was landed in between clips. I think many of them were start/stop filming within the same flight. Many of the problems were filmed on different days.
Has anyone else had this issue? I have the standard Hasselblad with no zoom. I am filming in 4K.
2020-9-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the Mavic 2 Zoom. Sometimes, on take-off and climbing to height, I discover that the lens is slightly out of focus and everything is blurred, but tapping the smartphone screen activates the focus procedure and the problem corrects itself.
2020-9-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there syd\. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please post sample videos showing the said issue for us to be able to see and be able to assist you? Thank you.
2020-9-24
Use props
syd\
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Stephen, Thank you for replying. It is nice to see DJI input. I have placed 8 10 second samples on the cloud link below. I have named 3 as good, to show the camera is working correctly, and I have named 6 as bad, which are the blurred clips. Many of the bad clips were within minutes of the good clips. I hope you can suggest what has gone wrong wrong. The drone was set to infinity for all clips.

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... KmPfEkA?usp=sharing
2020-9-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I always have focus peaking turned on as a reality check.
2020-9-26
Use props
syd\
lvl.2
United Kingdom

It seems DJI Stephen has vanished after his offer of assistance. I even PMed him but no reply. Is anyone else able to explain this problem?
2020-10-15
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

syd\@sydh.co.uk Posted at 10-15 12:01
It seems DJI Stephen has vanished after his offer of assistance. I even PMed him but no reply. Is anyone else able to explain this problem?

Yes!  chances are you started recording at take off.  The mavic will focus on the ground instead of distance objects.
Watch this; I made this after suffering a load of out of focus clips.....

Ian

2020-10-15
Use props
syd\
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ian in London Posted at 10-15 12:07
Yes!  chances are you started recording at take off.  The mavic will focus on the ground instead of distance objects.
Watch this; I made this after suffering a load of out of focus clips.....

Thanks Ian. That could be the problem. I wondered if I had touched the screen but in AFC it should have instantly refocused. I now use infinity which seems OK but I have not checked it for pin sharp yet. I watched your YT and it was informative. I have subscribed and when I get time, I will scan through your other clips.
Nice Iceland shot. Alas, when I toured Iceland it was before my drone days.
2020-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules