Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Connection Question
12Next >
5054 43 2020-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Magicdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101086 ft
United States

Hi. How do you get the DJI Fly app to automatically open when my Ipad Mini 5 is connected to the remote controller and the remote controller is turned on? It used to do this but now the Ipad Mini powers up but I have to go to the Fly app and open it to get everything going. As always thanks for any help.
2020-9-27
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314419 ft
United States

As far as I know, there is no way for iOS to auto-launch the Fly app when the RC is connected.  It has to be manually launched.  I believe auto-launch of the app is possible with Android, but not iOS.
2020-9-27
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Scott108 Posted at 9-27 20:15
As far as I know, there is no way for iOS to auto-launch the Fly app when the RC is connected.  It has to be manually launched.  I believe auto-launch of the app is possible with Android, but not iOS.

Yes, with Android, after setting up the app (first start), you will be asked whether you want the app to start automatically ...
2020-9-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There is a section in the profile section of the fly app that will bypass the home page straight to the FPV screen on booting up the app but you have to manually launch the app
2020-9-27
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Hi all. I asked that same question some time ago, unfortunately it cannot be done. I leave you the link of the question.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-222100-1-1.html
2020-9-27
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

As others have stated, the app will not auto launch. You have to open the app, but after that, once it sees the connection between the drone and controller and phone, it will automatically go from home screen of the app to fly view.
2020-9-28
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-28 03:54
As others have stated, the app will not auto launch. You have to open the app, but after that, once it sees the connection between the drone and controller and phone, it will automatically go from home screen of the app to fly view.

Hi. I know it used to autolaunch.
2020-9-28
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

Magicdroner Posted at 9-28 07:07
Hi. I know it used to autolaunch.[view_image]

2020-9-28
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

A J Posted at 9-27 23:25
There is a section in the profile section of the fly app that will bypass the home page straight to the FPV screen on booting up the app but you have to manually launch the app
I think he meant that the fly app starts automatically as soon as the RC is switched on and connected to the mobile phone ...
2020-9-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 9-28 07:57
I think he meant that the fly app starts automatically as soon as the RC is switched on and connected to the mobile phone ...

That's why I said you have to manually launch the app... Just bringing to the OP's attention that he can at least bypass the home page
2020-9-28
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
United States

Magicdroner Posted at 9-28 07:07
Hi. I know it used to autolaunch.[view_image]

It has never auto-launched on iOS.  The advertisements you linked are misleading, as they imply it auto-launches on all smartphones -- but in reality, the auto-launch is not something iOS provides.
2020-9-28
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

Scott108 Posted at 9-28 09:16
It has never auto-launched on iOS.  The advertisements you linked are misleading, as they imply it auto-launches on all smartphones -- but in reality, the auto-launch is not something iOS provides.

Here is a copy of the end of the response I just had with DJI support chat: Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that it causes you. Currently, the DJI fly app is not compatible with the newly launch iOs 14. DJI, like other third-party software providers, is working hard to release an app version that is suitable with iOs 14 as soon as possible to minimize the impact on your daily use.
2020-9-28
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

LOL, not compatible with iOS 14, hopefully they were referring to the auto launch thing. Mine never did auto start, even on iOS 13.
2020-9-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 9-28 10:47
LOL, not compatible with iOS 14, hopefully they were referring to the auto launch thing. Mine never did auto start, even on iOS 13.

Exactly - I've just got back from doing two flights with my MA2 on iOS 14.0.1 with Fly App 1.1.9 - not a single glitch! I think their scripts need updating...
2020-9-28
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
United States

Ah, yes, the innate reliability of responses from first-level tech support.  LOL.

I have seen ZERO compatibility problems reported between iOS 14 and DJI Fly.  For me, it's working exactly the same as it did under iOS 13.

The issue with auto-launch is simple:  The iOS version doesn't do it.  Never has.  The reviews and literature that claim the app auto-launches are referring only to the capability Android offers.  Any mention of iOS in that regard is simply incorrect.
2020-9-28
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

Scott108 Posted at 9-28 11:29
Ah, yes, the innate reliability of responses from first-level tech support.  LOL.

I have seen ZERO compatibility problems reported between iOS 14 and DJI Fly.  For me, it's working exactly the same as it did under iOS 13.

All I know is I used to get autostart with IOS. That's all I've ever ran. First with the Mavic Mini and now with the Air 2. Call me crazy and that is something I already knew.  BTW I flew today with IOS 14.0.1 and the drone flew great with no glitches that I could see. This thing with autostart isn't that big a deal but the way I look at it one abnormality such as this may point to other abnormalities. So far so good as far as I can see.
2020-9-28
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
United States

Magicdroner Posted at 9-28 13:20
All I know is I used to get autostart with IOS. That's all I've ever ran. First with the Mavic Mini and now with the Air 2. Call me crazy and that is something I already knew.  BTW I flew today with IOS 14.0.1 and the drone flew great with no glitches that I could see. This thing with autostart isn't that big a deal but the way I look at it one abnormality such as this may point to other abnormalities. So far so good as far as I can see.

I don't know what you are remembering....   But the iOS version has no provision for auto-starting when the RC is connected.  

As AJ mentioned above, there is a setting in DJI Fly that will cause it to automatically switch from the opening screen to the "camera view" when the drone connects to the RC.  Perhaps that's what you recall happening.   But that still requires you to start the app manually first, then it will proceed to the "camera view" automatically when the drone connects, without having to click on "Go Fly".
2020-9-28
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

Scott108 Posted at 9-28 14:07
I don't know what you are remembering....   But iOS has no provision for auto-starting an app when a device is connected.  Not for DJI Fly, not for any other app.  And it never has.

As AJ mentioned above, there is a setting in DJI Fly that will cause it to automatically switch from the opening screen to the "camera view" when the drone connects to the RC.  Perhaps that's what you recall happening.   But that still requires you to start the app manually first, then it will proceed to the "camera screen" automatically when the drone connects, without having to click on "Go Fly".

Hi Scott. I think you could be right. Where is the setting in the Fly app which makes it go to camera view?
Thanks for your help.
2020-9-28
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
United States

Magicdroner Posted at 9-28 15:12
Hi Scott. I think you could be right. Where is the setting in the Fly app which makes it go to camera view?
Thanks for your help.

Open DJI Fly (doesn't need to be connected to controller).  From the opening screen, choose "Profile" then "Settings" then "Camera View".

If that setting is "ON", then the app will automatically proceed to the "camera view" when the drone connects.  If it is "OFF", then you have to click the "Go Fly" button after connecting the drone to get camera view.

With either setting, you have to (on iOS) start the app manually.  But once it is started, having that setting "on" saves you a step -- as it automatically proceeds to the Camera View when the drone connects, meaning you don't have to hit the "Go Fly" button.

2020-9-28
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

Scott108 Posted at 9-28 15:17
Open DJI Fly (doesn't need to be connected to controller).  From the opening screen, choose "rofile" then "Settings" then "Camera View".

If that setting is "ON", then the app will automatically proceed to the "camera view" when the drone connects.  If it is "OFF", then you have to click the "Go Fly" button after connecting the drone to get camera view.

Thanks for all the help. I guess I need more "meds".
2020-9-28
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Magicdroner Posted at 9-28 18:11
Thanks for all the help. I guess I need more "meds".

Or maybe fewer ;-)
2020-9-28
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

A J Posted at 9-28 09:00
That's why I said you have to manually launch the app... Just bringing to the OP's attention that he can at least bypass the home page

... I see.      
2020-9-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 9-28 22:35
... I see.

2020-9-28
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

... well, sometimes you are "too fast" ...      
2020-9-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 9-28 23:56
... well, sometimes you are "too fast" ...

better than being too slow! At least you have learnt something!
2020-9-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this concern. As Scott108 advised at post #2 the DJI Fly application needs to be launched manually on the IOS. If you have further concern or inquiry, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.
2020-9-29
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-29 08:15
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this concern. As Scott108 advised at post #2 the DJI Fly application needs to be launched manually on the IOS. If you have further concern or inquiry, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.

Hi. Following is an e-mail I received today from DJI Support:

DJI Customer Support (DJI Support)

2020年10月1日 GMT+86:11

Hi MagicDroner,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Good day! We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. The issue you reported   is caused by the fact that the current xxx app is not compatible with the   latest official version of iOS 14. The official version of iOS 14 was   released on September 16. We, like other third-party software providers, are   working hard to release a suitable app version as soon as possible to   minimize the impact on your daily use. The DJI FLY app is expected to release   a version compatible with iOS 14 after mid-October. Please pay attention to   the update at that time.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions, stay safe.

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,

Jose
   DJI Technical Support

YouTube: http://dji.com/Youtube-DJI

2020-9-30
Use props
djiuser_kbLtk5zQTvol
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I came across this thread as I just searched for "DJI Fly app iphone auto launch". The reason I did this was because I have just turned on my remote and plugged the  phone in and the Fly app launched when I unlocked the phone. After reading the thread I tried this several more times. I even tried force closing the app but the result was the same every time, the app auto-launched. I've only had the drone for just over a week and been out twice and I'm sure it did not do this before. Even more strange, nothing has been updated since.

When I plug in the cable the phone's charging indicator comes on briefly (I have charge phone turned off) and I hear the charging tone then the app launches. On checking the phone is not actually charging, the indicator is only on for about a second. Dji Mini 2 with iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.2.1. Before this actually happened I would have agreed this is not possible on iPhone. Just tried it on my iPad running 14.2 and it auto-launched on that as well. Same momentary battery charge behavour as well.
2020-11-29
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
United States

Since this thread started, there have been multiple new versions of DJI Fly, a couple iOS releases, and a couple RC firmware updates.   With some combination of those, the auto-launch of the app now works on iOS.
2020-12-1
Use props
djiuser_kbLtk5zQTvol
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Scott108 Posted at 12-1 11:36
Since this thread started, there have been multiple new versions of DJI Fly, a couple iOS releases, and a couple RC firmware updates.   With some combination of those, the auto-launch of the app now works on iOS.

Got my drone on the 14th. Updated firmware the following day. Last release of Fly was three weeks ago and last iOS was 14.2.1 November 5th. It definitely did not auto-launch for me then on phone or iPad yet it started the day I made my original post. Nothing has been updated  in the intervale that I am aware of. It's a bit of a mystery why its suddenly started working.
2020-12-1
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_kbLtk5zQTvol Posted at 12-1 15:49
Got my drone on the 14th. Updated firmware the following day. Last release of Fly was three weeks ago and last iOS was 14.2.1 November 5th. It definitely did not auto-launch for me then on phone or iPad yet it started the day I made my original post. Nothing has been updated  in the intervale that I am aware of. It's a bit of a mystery why its suddenly started working.

There have been reports in other threads of it working inconsistently for some.  Sounds like that’s the case for you as well.  It has worked consistently for me since the last batch of updates - but I updated the RC firmware and app at the same time so I can’t say which one (or both) was responsible.
2020-12-1
Use props
djiuser_kbLtk5zQTvol
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Scott108 Posted at 12-1 20:36
There have been reports in other threads of it working inconsistently for some.  Sounds like that’s the case for you as well.  It has worked consistently for me since the last batch of updates - but I updated the RC firmware and app at the same time so I can’t say which one (or both) was responsible.

No, it's been entirely consistent from the first time it happened and that's on two devices.
2020-12-2
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

If I have the cord connected to my iPhone then turn on the controller and drone it will auto launch the app.
If I turn on the controller and drone and then plug in the cord to my phone it will not auto launch.
Today anyway, things could be different tomorrow.
2020-12-2
Use props
djiuser_kbLtk5zQTvol
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Lisa3 Posted at 12-2 05:44
If I have the cord connected to my iPhone then turn on the controller and drone it will auto launch the app.
If I turn on the controller and drone and then plug in the cord to my phone it will not auto launch.
Today anyway, things could be different tomorrow.

If I turn on the controller and drone and then plug in the cord to my phone it will not auto launch.

Just tried that. Auto-launched just fine. Still a bit of a mystery here.
2020-12-2
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_kbLtk5zQTvol Posted at 12-2 02:53
No, it's been entirely consistent from the first time it happened and that's on two devices.

Well, you say it didn’t work and then - and you assert without any software or hardware changes - it suddenly and mysteriously started working.  That sure sounds “inconsistent”.  Or it sounds like you just mistook the timeline of updates and the observed behavior change.  
2020-12-2
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use 3 Android devices on my drones. Two of them auto start almost all of the time but not always. The third almost never starts even when it is set to do it. It sounds to me like it isn't the device or even the OS but the way that the app initiates that is either inconsistent or non-standard. As far as I'm concerned Android and iOS are toy operating systems and far from ideal. Not a big deal for me to just tap the icon.
2020-12-2
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-2 20:27
I use 3 Android devices on my drones. Two of them auto start almost all of the time but not always. The third almost never starts even when it is set to do it. It sounds to me like it isn't the device or even the OS but the way that the app initiates that is either inconsistent or non-standard. As far as I'm concerned Android and iOS are toy operating systems and far from ideal. Not a big deal for me to just tap the icon.

In fact,  I would prefer the feature to not be there at all than to work unreliably.  Though once it started working for me (after firmware and app updates), it has been 100%.  But that’s clearly not the case for everyone.  But no a big deal either way, there are way more important things for DJI to work on!
2020-12-2
Use props
djiuser_kbLtk5zQTvol
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Scott108 Posted at 12-2 18:01
Well, you say it didn’t work and then - and you assert without any software or hardware changes - it suddenly and mysteriously started working.  That sure sounds “inconsistent”.  Or it sounds like you just mistook the timeline of updates and the observed behavior change.

There is no mistake about the dates of the changes, they are published and can be looked up and confirmed. This is inconsistent - works, does not work, works, does not work. This is not inconsistent - does not work, works now. The latter is my experience.

I've spent the last 20 years earning a living testing software but have I missed something here? Quite possilbly and being of a curious nature I'd just likek to find out what it is. Something changed that caused this.

2020-12-3
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_kbLtk5zQTvol Posted at 12-3 02:50
I've spent the last 20 years earning a living testing software but have I missed something here? Quite possilbly and being of a curious nature I'd just likek to find out what it is. Something changed that caused this.

Yes, I think you probably missed something.

20 years?  I did it for 35.  So what?  While it is possible that your specific experience is special and different from all others reported, it is far more likely your unique story is the result of misinterpreting the event timing or an insufficient sample size.  In any case, it is unlikely you're going to find a cogent explanation for the anomaly here.  We don't have the source code to analyze, nor do we have comprehensive, objective, carefully recorded and controlled test results from a large number of people.   A few random forum posts do not constitute scientific study.

As it is a very minor feature which in no way affects flight or safety, and barely affects convenience, I'm just happy that it now works -- at least for me, and apparently for you.  I am much more concerned that DJI get the SDK released, and add new features, than continuing to beat this dead horse.

2020-12-3
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The DJI Fly app using IOS/iPhone/iPad will auto launch the app only if it is already unlocked.  I figured that out today and was able to get it to consistently auto launch.
2020-12-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules