Any reason why this would happen?
4052 15 2020-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MetalMonkey
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Been fly my Nazgul 5 HD for the last couple of weeks and very thing has been great! Been running it in 50m mode. Today I had a freeze/glitch in the video feed which caused me to cut the motors off. When I reset the system googles and quad, it took ages for the menu in the googles and there was a intermittent horizontal line across the video feed before take off.

The rest of my flights were without incident,  should I be worried or is there any I can check or test?

2020-9-28
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

Did you have an SD card recording in the air unit?  That can cause glitches like that, especially on older firmware.

Did your goggles power cord come loose? The need an auxillary fastener on them to prevent this.
2020-9-28
Use props
JurnFPV
lvl.2

Netherlands

I think the nazgul 5 HD has a Caddx Vista (and is a BNF) and not an air unit, so it doesn't have an SD Card. Also the video seems to come from the goggle recording and the 50mbps mode is the latest firmware, so that shouldn't be the problem.

As what mc54 is saying maybe the powercord was loose, it's known to happen. If you have a 3d printer you could print a fix for it.

Also do you have "auto temp control" ON or OFF and what output power where you running?
2020-9-28
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

Looking at the video, since it happens when you do a throttle punch, looks like an electrical issue on the quad side, not goggles side. What cap are you running? Are you running 6s or 4s?
2020-9-29
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

I would check for any shortcircut possibility - with carbon frame, or maybe a droplet of rain (as it's cloudy)
other possibility is as Giammi said, might be power/cap issue
2020-9-29
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hope you found a fix but the footage is very cool
2020-9-29
Use props
MetalMonkey
lvl.2
United Kingdom

mc54 Posted at 9-28 18:36
Did you have an SD card recording in the air unit?  That can cause glitches like that, especially on older firmware.

Did your goggles power cord come loose? The need an auxillary fastener on them to prevent this.

It's not the full air unit, its the Caddx vista unit, power cord to the googles was fine, I have a auxiliary fastener honestly I dont know why DJI have improved on the one that come with the goggles.
2020-9-29
Use props
MetalMonkey
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JurnFPV Posted at 9-28 23:47
I think the nazgul 5 HD has a Caddx Vista (and is a BNF) and not an air unit, so it doesn't have an SD Card. Also the video seems to come from the goggle recording and the 50mbps mode is the latest firmware, so that shouldn't be the problem.

As what mc54 is saying maybe the powercord was loose, it's known to happen. If you have a 3d printer you could print a fix for it.

Correct the Nazgul 5 HD is a Caddx Vista (BNF), power cord to the google was fine. I keep auto temp control switched off and I was running at 700mw, I find 25mw has very poor penetration even when behind a small bush.

The quad has been perfect so far and a joy to learn on and fly, it was just really random. I just wouldn't want it to happen if I was tree diving or something.
2020-9-29
Use props
MetalMonkey
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Giammi Posted at 9-29 00:00
Looking at the video, since it happens when you do a throttle punch, looks like an electrical issue on the quad side, not goggles side. What cap are you running? Are you running 6s or 4s?

It's the 6s version, Im using two 1300mah Turnigy (35C) and two1300mah Tattu R-line (120C) V3 batteries. When it happened I was using a Turnigy battery.

Unfortunately, I've managed to strip the head of the hex tool, waiting for a new one arrive but from what I can see from the writing on the capacitor its a unicorn solid capacitor UPL 50V 220UF.
2020-9-29
Use props
MetalMonkey
lvl.2
United Kingdom

KREMi Posted at 9-29 00:41
I would check for any shortcircut possibility - with carbon frame, or maybe a droplet of rain (as it's cloudy)
other possibility is as Giammi said, might be power/cap issue

It had been raining earlier during the day, so there is definitely a possibility of high levels of moisture in the air.  
2020-9-29
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

MetalMonkey Posted at 9-29 06:03
It's the 6s version, Im using two 1300mah Turnigy (35C) and two1300mah Tattu R-line (120C) V3 batteries. When it happened I was using a Turnigy battery.

Unfortunately, I've managed to strip the head of the hex tool, waiting for a new one arrive but from what I can see from the writing on the capacitor its a unicorn solid capacitor UPL 50V 220UF.

Mmmm.. my take is that 220uf are not enough..
BTW, is the vista powered by the FC or by the Li-Po pads directly?
2020-9-29
Use props
JurnFPV
lvl.2

Spain

I think Giammi also has a good point, maybe install a 1000uf low esr capacitor on there. I did it on my build and didn't have any problems yet with video freeze (air unit though / and still get sometimes slow sd card error). It's a bit sad because it's a BNF so you expect everything to work from the start.
Furadi has some videos about video freeze and capacitor and if you google you probably can find some more info on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQbWWaEHxU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08mlAO0-5Bk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaKXZSbnvWM
2020-10-5
Use props
MetalMonkey
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Giammi Posted at 9-29 22:28
Mmmm.. my take is that 220uf are not enough..
BTW, is the vista powered by the FC or by the Li-Po pads directly?

I've been flying since, and everything seems fine. But I will look into installing a bigger capacitor. I checked the wiring, its seems that the vista is getting its power from the fly controller.  
2020-10-6
Use props
MetalMonkey
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JurnFPV Posted at 10-5 13:30
I think Giammi also has a good point, maybe install a 1000uf low esr capacitor on there. I did it on my build and didn't have any problems yet with video freeze (air unit though / and still get sometimes slow sd card error). It's a bit sad because it's a BNF so you expect everything to work from the start.
Furadi has some videos about video freeze and capacitor and if you google you probably can find some more info on the topic.

Oh don't get me worry this quad has been great so far, I've flown it since and its been good as gold and flies lovely. I'm was just worried about it happening at height and dropping out the sky.

Thank you for the videos, great explanations thank you
2020-10-6
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

MetalMonkey Posted at 10-6 11:17
I've been flying since, and everything seems fine. But I will look into installing a bigger capacitor. I checked the wiring, its seems that the vista is getting its power from the fly controller.

Trust me, get a bigger capacitor (like a 35V 1000uf) and solder Vista's power cables directly to the lipo pads. Sometimes FC are not capable of providing the right power to boards.
2020-10-6
Use props
MetalMonkey
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Just an update, still flying the same quad, never had this issues again?
2022-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules