Charging hub broke OOB ?
444 12 2020-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gerth E
lvl.1

Sweden

First i have to admit - I'm a total drone newbiee so this might be a silly question.

Bought a Mavic mini a couple of days ago and have flown it for some hour or so - so now charging batteries are neccessary.
I have tried to read the manual and looked on a couple Youtube videos about how the charger is working / used - thought do my charging hub not behaive as I understand it would after seeing this.

To my understanding is this what should happen
  • On startup should the charger test batteries and determine which one to charge.
  • The charger have it lights turned on during charging , charging battery should either have light blinking in succession to show the charging.link
    Fast succession = quick chage, slow blink = normal charge
  • Lights on the charging hub should not dim/go out

What I experience with my hub is that hub when I plug in the battery so does the briefly light the LED:s and it seems to check the batteries.
After a few seconds do the LED go of and not showing any status at all.
See attached clip.

What i have been able to test is:
  • All batteries can be charged in the drone - and all have been fully charged at least once.
  • I'm using the supplied USB charger
  • Have tested both USB cables supplied.
  • Have tested with other USB cables and regular cable I have at home - the symptoms are the same.

On the movie so is the USB charger attached to the wall socket. Batteries in the left and middle compartment is fully chareged and the right one is from my last flight session so it need to be charged.
As seen when the middle battery is put into the cradle so does the light go on - not as long as I have seen in Youtube videos when the batteries are examined.
Just few seconds later does all LED:s go out and will not come on again.
Have left the chareger on for an hour or so, checking the battery level afterwards only shows two LED:s on the right battery as it hasn't been charged.

Is this a correct behivour of the charging hub or is something broken ?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Lye_G9eAVgIsIDYqtb6YFIQg

Thanks in advance
2020-9-28
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

It will check each battery first and will charge the one that has the most charge first and when it’s charged it will show 4 lights for that battery then it will go the next battery with the highest  charge and charge it then to the next .It will only charge one battery at a time and it takes about 1 1/2 hours for each battery. So dont stare at it . If you plug your controller into the regular usb on the charging hub it will charge it last after charging the three batteries.
If you go to Harbor Freight they have both AC and DC chargers with each having two   2A outlets.
Hope this helps.
Doug
2020-9-28
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

No, your video does not show the behavior that mine does.  The closest that I can come to what you are seeing is if the hub is not plugged into power - but even that is not quite right.
As a test, do you have some other device that you can charge from the adapter and cable - such as a phone, headset, GPS, etc.?  Does that work?  And confirm that same adapter and cable when plugged into the drone will successfully charge a battery?  I am testing something, but it will be morning before I have a result.
2020-9-28
Use props
Gerth E
lvl.1

Sweden

K6CCC Posted at 9-28 21:45
No, your video does not show the behavior that mine does.  The closest that I can come to what you are seeing is if the hub is not plugged into power - but even that is not quite right.
As a test, do you have some other device that you can charge from the adapter and cable - such as a phone, headset, GPS, etc.?  Does that work?  And confirm that same adapter and cable when plugged into the drone will successfully charge a battery?  I am testing something, but it will be morning before I have a result.

Hi - Thanks for a fast reply

The USB charger and cable used do charge the battery ok if I plugg it directly into the drone , have charged all my three batteries that way. So that is tested, and all batteeries have been fully charge at least once.
Charging the batteri in the drone was made from the same wall socket so that's not a power issue.

Will try to charge another device - but I expect it to be successful.
Have been seeing in one of the Youtube videos that a "Quick charge" cable is needed - I have tried both of the supplied cables and the behavior is the same.
Is there any way to distinguish a "quick charge" cable from another regular ?
2020-9-28
Use props
Gerth E
lvl.1

Sweden

Donut Posted at 9-28 21:23
It will check each battery first and will charge the one that has the most charge first and when it’s charged it will show 4 lights for that battery then it will go the next battery with the highest  charge and charge it then to the next .It will only charge one battery at a time and it takes about 1 1/2 hours for each battery. So dont stare at it . If you plug your controller into the regular usb on the charging hub it will charge it last after charging the three batteries.
If you go to Harbor Freight they have both AC and DC chargers with each having two   2A outlets.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your answer & suggestions.

My biggest concern is that the "light pattern" on the charging hub don't resemble what I have read in the manual or seen on Youtube videos.
And yes I'm aware of the charging logic after reading the manual ;) -I'm that unusual guy that reads info  

All info i have seen is that the LED:s should be on and showing battery status during charge - as seen in my movie does the LED:s just show for a few seconds and afer that nothing.And as it seems like the battery don't take charge in the cradle , i.e it dont show a third LED indication after a while gives me some concerns.

2020-9-28
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

See if you Batteries or RC need a firmware update.
2020-9-29
Use props
Flaming
lvl.4
Flight distance : 250541 ft
Canada

I would put each battery  in the drone one by one ,Power on the drone ,  connect the RC and start the DJI fly app while having an internet connection.  I just got my Mini like 20 days ago and i got a firmware update for each battery.
2020-9-29
Use props
Gerth E
lvl.1

Sweden

Flaming Posted at 9-29 08:05
I would put each battery  in the drone one by one ,Power on the drone ,  connect the RC and start the DJI fly app while having an internet connection.  I just got my Mini like 20 days ago and i got a firmware update for each battery.

Hi

I did this test this morning after reading about battery firmware.
Did not indicate anything - but on the other hand each battery were only in and on for a few minutes,

Will do a longer test now when i have the time for it.
2020-9-29
Use props
Flaming
lvl.4
Flight distance : 250541 ft
Canada

Gerth E Posted at 9-29 09:10
Hi

I did this test this morning after reading about battery firmware.

i don't think a longer test will do anything , the second i inserted a new battery in the drone and powering it on i got battery firmware update message in the app.   

After reading all you have done so far .. i agree , the hub seems to be faulty.

Maybe your batteries already have the latest firmware ...  i checked my box .. the manufacturing date says 2020/05 so my drone maybe older than yours ...
2020-9-29
Use props
Gerth E
lvl.1

Sweden

Update from some extra tests this evening.
  • Supplied charger is able to charge my Jabra 65 Bluetooth headset.
    Both supplied cables is working.
  • Tried to leave all three batteries in the cradle and charge for a couple of hours - power levels in batteries don't change.
  • Tried another charger and tried to charge , same result as 2 above.
  • Put all three batteries into the drone and connected it to the Fly app - left each battery on for 5 minutes - no indication on firmware updates for any of them.

I do more and more lean towards that i have a cradle that are not ok.
2020-9-29
Use props
Gerth E
lvl.1

Sweden

Flaming Posted at 9-29 09:41
i don't think a longer test will do anything , the second i inserted a new battery in the drone and powering it on i got battery firmware update message in the app.   

After reading all you have done so far .. i agree , the hub seems to be faulty.

My box seems to be marked 2020/7 so yes it seem a bit newer.
2020-9-29
Use props
djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4725190 ft
Spain

Hey there, it sounds to me like the charging hub is broken....I would contact DJI....hope you get it fixed
2020-9-29
Use props
Gerth E
lvl.1

Sweden

Made a return of the charger hub to the store today - hope that I get a replacement soon and this is sorted out.

Thanks for all tips in the fault finding.
2020-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules