2356 36 2020-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

hi friends,
i just hitted branch tree, but MA2 still ok, flew and maneuvered just normally.
after landing, everything look OK, only one "unmark" propeller got little bit damage.
should i change this propeller?
change both pair or just this propeller?
need your advise

damage propeller

damage propeller

damage propeller

damage propeller
2020-9-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine are a little beat up now but nowhere as bad as that one. The thing that bothers me the most about it is that there is a tear in the material and that will spread. I would certainly change the pair.
2020-9-29
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Change it, for a cheap prop you could cause damage to your drone or worse anyone below if it falls
2020-9-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's not going to last long if you continue to use it. Change the pair. For what they cost it's not worth risking another and perhaps catastrophic crash.
2020-9-29
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Indonesia

thanks for all your value advise friends
then i changed already this particular damage propeller

but, how much damage that we can tolerant for propeller?
2020-9-29
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

kiminx Posted at 9-29 23:27
thanks for all your value advise friends
then i changed already this particular damage propeller

None. You should not use  propellor that has any sign of visible damage. That includes bent blades.

It will be unbalanced causing vibrations the will impact the operation of your drone. At best damage the bearings and the motor that it is attached to, at worst losing your drone due to FC errors.
2020-9-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

YES!!!!!!!
2020-9-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most definitely - I would change all 4 myself
2020-9-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd definitely change the pair.  
2020-9-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

A J Posted at 9-30 01:00
Most definitely - I would change all 4 myself

... that is too "generous"!

If only one is damaged - and you can see that well - then of course you should replace it ...

Is there a statement from DJI?

2020-9-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 9-30 07:14

If only one is damaged - and you can see that well - then of course you should replace it ...

Props needs to be balanced - known fact for anyone who has been flying drones for more than 5 minutes!
2020-9-30
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Change it ASAP.
2020-9-30
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314419 ft
United States

Even a very small chip or crack can cause problems -- and can easily expand or "grow" into something larger that could cause a complete loss of control.  Replacing the propeller is way cheaper than losing / replacing a drone!

The MA2 user manual says:  "Make sure all propellers are in good condition before each flight.  DO NOT use aged, chipped, or broken propellers."  

I wouldn't necessarily replace ALL propellers if only one was damaged, but it is important that all (4) be exactly the same -- don't "mix" DJI props and 3rd party props.  (Some 3rd-party props are probably fine, but my personal preference is to stick with the OEM props from DJI.)    Any that show any kind of damage will get replaced on my drone, it's just too much risk to fly with damaged props.
2020-9-30
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Indonesia

A J Posted at 9-30 07:21
Props needs to be balanced - known fact for anyone who has been flying drones for more than 5 minutes!

How we balance MA2 ? As long as hover stable, i assume already balance.
Any advise?
2020-9-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Some of you are saying to replace "all 4" but what 4 are your referencing? The ones on the front/rear or left/right or a diagonal pair. I really don't see the point if they all came in the same original purchase. If DJI recommended replacing 4, wouldn't they come in packs of 4 instead of two?
2020-9-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there kiminx. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air 2. Since the said propellers of the said drone were damaged it would be best to replace the said propellers with new once to avoid and unwanted incident on your future flights. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-9-30
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Indonesia

frankymusik Posted at 9-30 07:14

If only one is damaged - and you can see that well - then of course you should replace it ...

yes
i only changed the damage one, not all 4 pairs.
and this morning flew, seem to be good
2020-9-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kiminx Posted at 9-30 19:55
yes
i only changed the damage one, not all 4 pairs.
and this morning flew, seem to be good

4 pairs equals 8 props. Quadcopters have 4 props = 2 pairs. If I replace one or two broken props with brand new props and keep the old ones on the drone with 100 flights or so of use the older ones may be out of balance with the new ones. Still, if £9 is a lot of money to you then just do what you feel is right. I always replace props in sets to prevent the chance of vibrations showing in the image.
2020-9-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 9-30 19:18
Some of you are saying to replace "all 4" but what 4 are your referencing? The ones on the front/rear or left/right or a diagonal pair. I really don't see the point if they all came in the same original purchase. If DJI recommended replacing 4, wouldn't they come in packs of 4 instead of two?

It's a quadcopter - 4 replaces the whole set. Props need to be balanced and using a brand new pair (thats 2) with an old pair that are not damaged but have seen plenty of use may cause the props to be unbalanced. You can of course only replace the ones perceived to be damaged but I like to replace the whole set to ensure that they are all evenly balanced having had exactly the same amount of wear and use. Each to their own eh. And if you only have one damaged prop then why do DJI only sell them in pairs?
2020-9-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

A J Posted at 9-30 22:31
It's a quadcopter - 4 replaces the whole set. Props need to be balanced and using a brand new pair (thats 2) with an old pair that are not damaged but have seen plenty of use may cause the props to be unbalanced. You can of course only replace the ones perceived to be damaged but I like to replace the whole set to ensure that they are all evenly balanced.

OMG
... it's like a car:
If one tire is defective, a complete set (4 tires) is exchanged to avoid the tread depth being different (unbalanced) ...
After all, it is much more dangerous if something happens to a moving car !!!

Do you notice the irony ???   

2020-9-30
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Indonesia

A J Posted at 9-30 22:25
4 pairs equals 8 props. Quadcopters have 4 props = 2 pairs. If I replace one or two broken props with brand new props and keep the old ones on the drone with 100 flights or so of use the older ones may be out of balance with the new ones. Still, if £9 is a lot of money to you then just do what you feel is right. I always replace props in sets to prevent the chance of vibrations showing in the image.

well noted,
that mean you will change 2 pairs ( 4 propellers) with the same type of mark, right?
2020-9-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 9-30 23:54
OMG
... it's like a car:
If one tire is defective, a complete set (4 tires) is exchanged to avoid the tread depth being different (unbalanced) ...

2020-9-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

2020-9-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kiminx Posted at 9-30 23:55
well noted,
that mean you will change 2 pairs ( 4 propellers) with the same type of mark, right?

It's up to you buddy. Some don't change any. Others use third party props. Some will replace just the ones they see as being damaged. Others, like me, like to ensure that all of the props are properly balanced so I replace them all after around 100 flights anyway. Some even use balancing tools and I know some pilots who replace all four props after just a few flights. There is no right or wrong answer to it - it's your drone so maintain it how you see fit - as long as there are no vibrations ruining the footage and you minimise the risk of losing the drone of course.
2020-9-30
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Indonesia

A J Posted at 9-30 23:59
It's up to you buddy. Some don't change any. Others use third party props. Some will replace just the ones they see as being damaged. Others, like me, like to ensure that all of the props are properly balanced so I replace them all after around 100 flights anyway. Some even use balancing tools and I know some pilots who replace all four props after just a few flights. There is no right or wrong answer to it - it's your drone so maintain it how you see fit - as long as there are no vibrations ruining the footage and you minimise the risk of losing the drone of course.

but DJI should has standard Maintenance Guide for propeller, like how to maintenance battery.
2020-10-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kiminx Posted at 10-1 00:42
but DJI should has standard Maintenance Guide for propeller, like how to maintenance battery.

Trevor Jones from Let Us Drone offers some sound, thought out advice on it

https://www.letusdrone.com/how-o ... -drones-propellors/

And I'm pleased to read that there is no mention of car tyres from an immature novice when reviewing the saftey of a UAV
2020-10-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kiminx Posted at 10-1 00:42

Just common sense really

2020-10-1
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Indonesia

A J Posted at 10-1 00:47
Trevor Jones from Let Us Drone offers some sound, thought out advice on it

https://www.letusdrone.com/how-o ... -drones-propellors/

thx for the reference! good reading!
2020-10-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kiminx Posted at 10-1 01:23
thx for the reference! good reading!

You're most welcome. Safe flying.
2020-10-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 9-30 22:31
It's a quadcopter - 4 replaces the whole set. Props need to be balanced and using a brand new pair (thats 2) with an old pair that are not damaged but have seen plenty of use may cause the props to be unbalanced. You can of course only replace the ones perceived to be damaged but I like to replace the whole set to ensure that they are all evenly balanced having had exactly the same amount of wear and use. Each to their own eh. And if you only have one damaged prop then why do DJI only sell them in pairs?

No, what you are saying is that they should only sell them in sets of 8 (4 pairs)
2020-10-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 10-1 14:54
No, what you are saying is that they should only sell them in sets of 8 (4 pairs)

No Gary, I never stated that at all LMFAO!!! How on earth you have deduced that my replacing broken props with a full set of 4 to ensure they are all balanced means that DJI should sell sets of 8 is beyond me. I never mentioned '8' nor did I mention anything about how many props DJI should sell in a box.
2020-10-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 10-1 23:38
No Gary, I never stated that at all LMFAO!!! How on earth you have deduced that my replacing broken props with a full set of 4 to ensure they are all balanced means that DJI should sell sets of 8 is beyond me. I never mentioned '8' nor did I mention anything about how many props DJI should sell in a box.

You said this in post 24: "4 pairs equals 8 props"
Then you said to always replace the whole set of 4 pairs.
Then : "And if you only have one damaged prop then why do DJI only sell them in pairs?"
The next obvious conclusion if that you prefer that DJI only sell a full set.

My opinion is that a prop that has been in use and has performed adequately is better than an untested one still in the package. Infant mortality is a very real thing in new product use.

2020-10-2
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 10-2 13:38
You said this in post 24: "4 pairs equals 8 props"
Then you said to always replace the whole set of 4 pairs.
Then : "And if you only have one damaged prop then why do DJI only sell them in pairs?"

Yes, if you bothered to read the thread you will clearly see that I was replying to kiminx regarding his post number 23 where he incorrectly stated that he "only changed one damaged prop and not all 4 pairs"... Point being that the drone has 2 pairs doesn't it. To which he replied in post 28 "well noted".

Then I advised that "Quadcopters have 4 props = 2 pairs" and that "I always replace props in sets to prevent the chance of vibrations showing in the image" Again, I have never stated to replace all 4 PAIRS - please show me exactly where that is stated...

Then my reply to YOU "and if you only have one damaged prop then why do DJI only sell them in pairs?" was clearly in relation to your reply in post 19 where you stated "If DJI recommended replacing 4, wouldn't they come in packs of 4 instead of two? Point being, that the number of props that DJI sell in a box is not reflective of the number of props that need to be replaced in the event that one may be damaged.

My opinion, as noted in post 9, is that I would change all 4. You may also wish to refer to posts 29, 28 and 26 to see why. To which the OP thanked me.

If you believe keeping a prop on your drone that has been flown for hundreds of miles and many hours is safer than replacing it with the brand new ones DJI supplied with your drone (amongst the ones you are already using of course) then good luck!

So the obvious conclusion - I do not care how many props DJI sell in a box. But if I have flown my drone for many hours and suddenly damage one or more props I will replace all 4 props at the same time. Oh, and for you to actually read threads more thoroughly in future to prevent taking peoples replies out of context...

2020-10-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 10-2 14:07
Yes, if you bothered to read the thread you will clearly see that I was replying to kiminx regarding his post number 23 where he incorrectly stated that he "only changed one damaged prop and not all 4 pairs"... Point being that the drone has 2 pairs doesn't it. To which he replied in post 28 "well noted".

Then I advised that "Quadcopters have 4 props = 2 pairs" and that "I always replace props in sets to prevent the chance of vibrations showing in the image" Again, I have never stated to replace all 4 PAIRS - please show me exactly where that is stated...

No need for an insult. I read just fine thank you. Been doing it for many years, even written some award winning tech articles. As I recall one was even about component infant mortality issues.
2020-10-2
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 10-2 18:38
No need for an insult. I read just fine thank you. Been doing it for many years, even written some award winning tech articles. As I recall one was even about component infant mortality issues.

Not insulting in the slightest Gary - but let's be honest - you totally missed the point. So rather than try and turn the table you'd be better off apologising for taking my replies out of context. People do not win awards for that sunshine - they WILL SIMPLY BE CORRECTED - and rightly so! Good day!
2020-10-2
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Indonesia

all friends
thx you for all the positive discussion about this issue.
i believe we all got a lot of inputs and knowledge from every single post here..
finally i decided to change all the props since i still have extra at combo packet.
have a nice week end!
2020-10-2
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kiminx Posted at 10-2 23:16
all friends
thx you for all the positive discussion about this issue.
i believe we all got a lot of inputs and knowledge from every single post here..

Sensible decision and glad to help. .
Have a great weekend too.
2020-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules