Better feedback for weak video signal
1041 6 2020-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

Hey, since one of the major problem that the digital system has (compared to analog) is the very sudden video signal lost, it would be nice to have a sort of feedback that warns us whenever the streaming bitrate is becoming too low. Sometimes we're too focused on flying and we don't care too much to OSD and that's the case where we're in risk to lose our quad (even if bars are becoming red, I don't think is enough to bring the attention to them). So, for ecample, an audio warning along with a big message in the middle of the OSD would be nice for this purpose. Thanks!
2020-10-1
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

honestly when I fly, those pixelation (drop bitrate) warns quite good about incoming problem. what mode/how You fly, that there is no time to like increase height, turn back etc.. and on what antenna/power setup?
2020-10-1
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

This warning DOES exist....its the Mbps number in the bottom right.

My general rule is if its under 20 its fading, if it's under 10, that's dangerous. Under 5, prepare to failsafe.

Ignore the little drone and transmitter icons on the left, they are worthless.
2020-10-1
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

KREMi Posted at 10-1 06:54
honestly when I fly, those pixelation (drop bitrate) warns quite good about incoming problem. what mode/how You fly, that there is no time to like increase height, turn back etc.. and on what antenna/power setup?

Pixelation is still too late. If you ever flew analog you know what I mean. There you start to see noise way earlier compared to digital. It's not a matter of setup, it's how the digital is handling the signal loss.

BTW, I'm running the Vista @1200mW with Lumenier AXII 2 and double TrueRC X-Air patches on goggles. So really the best you can get out there.
2020-10-1
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

mc54 Posted at 10-1 08:10
This warning DOES exist....its the Mbps number in the bottom right.

My general rule is if its under 20 its fading, if it's under 10, that's dangerous. Under 5, prepare to failsafe.

I perfectly know about the Mbps but it's too small and I can't check it while flying. A message in the middle of the OSD would be way better.

BTW, I'm running crossfire with diversity RX, so failsafe is not an issue.
2020-10-1
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

Giammi Posted at 10-1 22:52
I perfectly know about the Mbps but it's too small and I can't check it while flying. A message in the middle of the OSD would be way better.

BTW, I'm running crossfire with diversity RX, so failsafe is not an issue.

I do fly analog even now, but honestly Switching drone by drone to digital. I do wait for sharkbyte tho
Your setup (looking @power and antenas) is long range, so I think You push this system to it limits.
Only case when I won't see bitrate/pixelation degradation is really close to max range flights and then drone get into some strong outside interference (power lines, telekom tower, etc) - it can kill videotransmission pretty quick. but then going higher altitude usually fix it.
I would suggest a small GPS + RTH setup in FC, that in this case flip a switch should save You

and maybe if there is also a drop in radio signal at crossfire (which should happen, not to low value, but at last it should get lower), so audio alert in radio is an option? I got frsky, so RSSI low alerts for me, crossie is even better with LQ
2020-10-2
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

KREMi Posted at 10-2 10:05
I do fly analog even now, but honestly Switching drone by drone to digital.  I do wait for sharkbyte tho
Your setup (looking @power and antenas) is long range, so I think You push this system to it limits.
Only case when I won't see bitrate/pixelation degradation is really close to max range flights and then drone get into some strong outside interference (power lines, telekom tower, etc) - it can kill videotransmission pretty quick. but then going higher altitude usually fix it.

I do have both GPS set with RTH and sound warning coming from radio telemetry. I've been doing long range for a while now and I already know all these tricks.

Nevertheless I'm still feeling that something is missing in the system in general compared to analog when doing long range. From the video feed point of view, on the other hand, I'm totally in love with digital!
2020-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules