Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
battery quarterly maintenance, draining fully
953 14 2020-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisLoon
lvl.2

United States

in each battery box the documentation mandates quarterly draining, fully, subsequently, recharged back to full

proprietary gold contacts can only attach to the aircraft

aircraft turns off the battery involuntarily before emptied fully

and, such draining, using the aircraft as the load, unnecessarily bites out life from electronic longevity

battery warranty is half year, and forum longevity claims about 100 cycles hot versus 200 cycles cold

it is hard to understand 200 recharges capability, done the right way, i.e.,  recharging cold battery, because in flight it gets really hot

in other words hot eats battery life, so 200 recharges is a bit exaggerated, doshould you ignore fully draining quarterlies?ne the correct way

the theme is this. do you really have to fully drain quarterlies?  smarter to re-enter hibernation? hybernate status gives zero indication when polled

entering hibernation status will relieve you from quarterlies draining fully, however, is there going to be another parasitic degradation biting longevity while in sustained hibernate status?
2020-10-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

First time I've ever heard of a quarterly draining recommendation. Is this for people who rarely fly their birds or something?
2020-10-1
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

As a general rule of thumb draining any rechargable battery to absolute zero is a really good way to kill them.  I find that recommendation odd at least...
2020-10-1
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

if you are not going to be using the battery for a long time and going to store it, it is recommended that you charge it fully at least once every quarter. you cannot store a battery with no charge for very long periods the cells will die off.
2020-10-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ChrisLoon. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared. The DJI intelligent flight battery has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the said battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For additional reference I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. Thank you.

2020-10-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have no idea what instructions you are referring to but in the official DJI manual for the Mavic Air 2 they recommend fully recharging the battery to 100% at least once every three months in order to maintain the long-term health of the battery. They also define the discharge level as being less than 30%. There is absolutely no instruction in any DJI manual telling you to totally discharge the battery to 0% on the Mavic Air/2. DJI use to advise this on older drones such as the Inspire 1 but not now.  

2020-10-4
Use props
ChrisLoon
lvl.2

United States

A J Posted at 10-4 13:52
I have no idea what instructions you are referring to but in the official DJI manual for the Mavic Air 2 they recommend fully recharging the battery to 100% at least once every three months in order to maintain the long-term health of the battery. They also define the discharge level as being less than 30%. There is absolutely no instruction in any DJI manual telling you to totally discharge the battery to 0% on the Mavic Air/2. DJI use to advise this on older drones such as the Inspire 1 but not now.  

[view_image]

Says discharge to 30% and lower without bounds
And again it says discharge maintenance to less than 30% again without bounds
2020-10-15
Use props
ChrisLoon
lvl.2

United States

I bought a discharger that attaches and supplies USB charge output to recharge cellular phone at ceiling draw two ampere and discharge is slow until battery auto off's itself being exhausted unto protective lower set point internal.
Battery remains cool always, intelligent discharger active circuitry. But delayal to charge back up full will induce battery irreversible harm, so charge immediately after draining procedure.
2020-10-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChrisLoon Posted at 10-15 09:35
Says discharge to 30% and lower without bounds
And again it says discharge maintenance to less than 30% again without bounds

If you actually interpret '30% or lower' as 0% then go ahead. lol
2020-10-15
Use props
ChrisLoon
lvl.2

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-1 22:47
Hello there ChrisLoon. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared. The DJI intelligent flight battery has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the said battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For additional reference I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. Thank you.

[view_image]

Gosh, thought mavic air batteries take 10 days before self discharge to 2/3
And, the 1 day grace before 4% drain of 100% is something unknown to the original mavic air gamut era 2018 ending year

Recently, my 100% batteries in flight disappear altogether instantly, sometimes indicated by color red 0% announcing critically low battery casualty immediately landing protectively, and sometimed the red color 0% immediately flip flops back to green color 100%, yes, heart attack, and continues flight pristine.

Told dji about it, solution, upgrade asst2v1.2.4 into 1.2.5, refresh all batteries, success, then attempt conservative operational check, discovery, battery won't turn on, did 1.2.5 refresh battery kill it? Dji requests paired devices plus all batteries returned for forensics
2020-10-15
Use props
ChrisLoon
lvl.2

United States

A J Posted at 10-15 09:55
If you actually interpret '30% or lower' as 0% then go ahead. lol

A good metric to evaluate capacity degrade is to fly above in a large repeating circle checking drainage with respect to time. This 21 minutes will evidence either ruin or healthiness.   I fly around the big church steeple, central union church, lots of parrots campaign in the hundreds but refuse to engage, they sensate wireless giga hertz
2020-10-22
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChrisLoon Posted at 10-22 16:45
A good metric to evaluate capacity degrade is to fly above in a large repeating circle checking drainage with respect to time. This 21 minutes will evidence either ruin or healthiness.   I fly around the big church steeple, central union church, lots of parrots campaign in the hundreds but refuse to engage, they sensate wireless giga hertz

Yeah, 30% or lower
2020-10-22
Use props
ChrisLoon
lvl.2

United States

not really the facility somehow tweaks alarm at 35% dunno why else is 30% alarming trip point so gotta land upon notice, of course 35% is lowered landing with propulsion.
2020-10-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

ChrisLoon Posted at 10-23 11:10
not really the facility somehow tweaks alarm at 35% dunno why else is 30% alarming trip point so gotta land upon notice, of course 35% is lowered landing with propulsion.

English is not your first language, is it?
2020-10-23
Use props
ChrisLoon
lvl.2

United States

semantics is calling your comprehension;  the 35% occurs airborne with home icon displaying additional allowable flight time before return, of course charge depletion below 30% will occur. Makes you wonder why that circumscribed "H" on the charge flight  display is calculated incorrectly.
2020-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules