Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Smart controller compass
12Next >
8196 54 2020-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
morimoorecomcast.net
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50909 ft
United States

I downloaded the new update to my smart controller for the mavic air 2.
  I’ve noticed the position orientation, heading icon is completely off showing  position and heading. It’s actually about 90 degrees off.  Sometimes it shows the drone behind me when it’s in front of me. If I lose site I can’t use it to bring it back. I have to hit RTH. I’ve calibrated the compass in the drone and controller. I’ve done a imu calibration.
  It’s a brand new controller. It worked fine on the stock controller.
I called support. After suggestions they told me to fly it so see if it got better. It didn’t.
  It’s obvious they didn’t have a clue.
Anyone else having this issue.
Again it’s the MA2 air on the smart controller with the fly app.
2020-10-2
Use props
Marty Markoe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Noticed after firmware update the directional arrow was off in the map view at the lower left of screen. Previously doing a quick compass calibration in Settings on SC fixed the orientation. Yesterday I tapped the map view screen where the arrow was incorrectly oriented. The map view turned into a smaller on screen compass with arrow pointing correctly.
2020-10-3
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

If the heading icon is off, why not use the mini map and fly back along the track line that leads back to you?
2020-10-3
Use props
Robrink
lvl.1

United States

Hi, Yes I have the same issue and so does a friend of mine.  I updated to the current version of the app.  Calibrated the drone compass and IMU and calibrated the Smart Controller.  The drone always shows behind me and facing the wrong way.
2020-10-4
Use props
saborman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 834669 ft
United States

I also have a new smart controller and mine also is way off as to direction of the drone.  I will try recalibrating as mentioned above to see if that fixes the problem.
2020-10-5
Use props
djiuser_gQmB2y4LQBWd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2798678 ft
Italy

Has anyone solved it?  I have the same problem, controller bought a week ago.
With the dji go app it goes well with dgi fly no.
2020-10-19
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Actually doesn't work at all!
Despite calibration of SC and MA2 ...!
2020-10-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_gQmB2y4LQBWd Posted at 10-19 08:45
Has anyone solved it?  I have the same problem, controller bought a week ago.
With the dji go app it goes well with dgi fly no.

It doesn't work - even after calibration
2020-11-2
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same here. After multiples calibrations nothing. it always point like the aircraft is on my left.
2020-11-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello morimoorecomcast.net, thank you for reaching us out and my apologies this has caused you. This has might be errors in GPS accuracy, when the aircraft and mobile device are close together, the position indicated by the Aircraft Orientation may be less accurate. We recommend you to fly the aircraft a short distance (more than 20 meters), and then the Aircraft Orientation display will be more accurate. Also try to move away from the aircraft for at least 20m. Let me know the result so that we can further assist you. Thank you.
2020-11-2
Use props
morimoorecomcast.net
lvl.2
United States

I’ve done all of that and it’s still way off. I’ve been on the phone with DJI and nothing helps. It’s completely useless using the icon.
  You need to fix this.
2020-11-2
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-2 13:06
Hello morimoorecomcast.net, thank you for reaching us out and my apologies this has caused you. This has might be errors in GPS accuracy, when the aircraft and mobile device are close together, the position indicated by the Aircraft Orientation may be less accurate. We recommend you to fly the aircraft a short distance (more than 20 meters), and then the Aircraft Orientation display will be more accurate. Also try to move away from the aircraft for at least 20m. Let me know the result so that we can further assist you. Thank you.

... as you can see (when the map is displayed in the lower left corner of the display) that both the position (GPS) and the direction of flight are displayed correctly, it is clearly evident that the problems are not with the GPS accuracy can be related, right?
This is not related to a distance of 20m (or so) !!!

The DJI developers should finally evaluate the data (in the SC) correctly and convert it into an error-free display!

That's probably not asking too much if a product is to be sold for $ 650 ...
2020-11-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

morimoorecomcast.net Posted at 11-2 13:22
I’ve done all of that and it’s still way off. I’ve been on the phone with DJI and nothing helps. It’s completely useless using the icon.
  You need to fix this.

Hi morimoorecomcast.net, thank you for your response and I feel sorry to know that the issue persist. Please get in touch with our DJI support team proper resolution will be given. You can refer to their support link page https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. You can also send in your Smart controller by submitting an online repair request under this link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
Thank you.
2020-11-3
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The orientation compass I find important to better align my controller to the aircraft.  A few degree adjustment can make a big difference in signal.  Hopefully this is going to be fixed soon in an upcoming update.
2020-11-3
Use props
morimoorecomcast.net
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-3 09:07
Hi morimoorecomcast.net, thank you for your response and I feel sorry to know that the issue persist. Please get in touch with our DJI support team proper resolution will be given. You can refer to their support link page https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. You can also send in your Smart controller by submitting an online repair request under this link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
Thank you.

I don’t need to send it in. I returned my controller and now the new one is the same. It’s a issue on your end with the software
2020-11-3
Use props
morimoorecomcast.net
lvl.2
United States

frankymusik Posted at 11-3 00:42
... as you can see (when the map is displayed in the lower left corner of the display) that both the position (GPS) and the direction of flight are displayed correctly, it is clearly evident that the problems are not with the GPS accuracy can be related, right?
This is not related to a distance of 20m (or so) !!!

You are right. For this price it should work correct. Some of us depend on that icon working correctly.
2020-11-3
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

morimoorecomcast.net Posted at 11-3 10:03
You are right. For this price it should work correct. Some of us depend on that icon working correctly.

DJI keeps telling - and the support too - that they want to "optimize" it ...

This has nothing to do with "optimization", that is debugging ...
2020-11-4
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311375 ft
United Kingdom

same problem here. and DJI position is absolutely ridiculous
2020-11-4
Use props
hughdeman
lvl.2

United States

Same problem.  Which way home?  Quite unacceptable given the combined cost of the SC+MA2.  My old Spark puts the pair to shame.  Can't recommend to anyone till it is fixed.
2020-11-17
Use props
morimoorecomcast.net
lvl.2
United States

hughdeman Posted at 11-17 18:25
Same problem.  Which way home?  Quite unacceptable given the combined cost of the SC+MA2.  My old Spark puts the pair to shame.  Can't recommend to anyone till it is fixed.

When called them they had no idea what I was talking about. I had send pics and they still didn’t understand it.
  You think they’d understand a basic function that’s on all there  controllers.
2020-11-19
Use props
Notearbird
lvl.2
United States

I am having the same issue. Wondering if the DJI fly app is the issue. The app opens as if you should have the controller rotated 90 degrees which is about the same as the orientation is off.Just wondering
2020-11-21
Use props
morimoorecomcast.net
lvl.2
United States

Notearbird Posted at 11-21 03:53
I am having the same issue. Wondering if the DJI fly app is the issue. The app opens as if you should have the controller rotated 90 degrees which is about the same as the orientation is off.Just wondering

I definitely think it’s the app. It’s doing it with the stock controller too.
  This needs to be fixed. It’s one thing after another with this app.
2020-11-21
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

Just an off the wall thought, could the Smart Controller have a setting in Controllers Operating System where GPS and Compass can be turned on and off.  If the Compass setting was turned off it would prevent the not be able to get a bearing heading.
Which icon is showing.  It would help to get an idea of what is wrong.

Compass Icon

Compass Icon
2020-11-21
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I don't see a way to deactivate the compass.I wanted to post pics ... unfortunately I can't do that anymore in the DJI forum after the last Safari update. Well, I'll just write it then.
Compass app on iPhone 8 and SC:
If you calibrate the SC Komass inside, it always shows a deviation of 10-20 ° to the iPhone (iPhone is correct).
If you calibrate the SC outside, it fits.
If you go to both devices with a magnet, the iPhone remains unimpressed, the SC freaks out and remains in this state. Even after a restart, it must be recalibrated.
The SC compass is also very sensitive to metal. Recalibration is apparently only necessary after exposure to strong magnetic fields.
The iPhone is also disturbed by metal, but marginally. Magnets hardly don’t bother at all, nor lose orientation, north remains north.
With the iPad pic add works, strange...

C4BB46FA-9678-4F46-AEDF-535F03E9A6D1.jpeg
CD6DC0E0-A2CB-4366-A7AE-06E97D149ED9.jpeg
2020-11-22
Use props
Marty Markoe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

DaMa Posted at 11-22 01:45
I don't see a way to deactivate the compass.I wanted to post pics ... unfortunately I can't do that anymore in the DJI forum after the last Safari update. Well, I'll just write it then.
Compass app on iPhone 8 and SC:
If you calibrate the SC Komass inside, it always shows a deviation of 10-20 ° to the iPhone (iPhone is correct).

As mentioned in previous post,  go to settings in SC and do the quick Compass calibration when drone and SC are connected and before take off.
2020-11-22
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Marty Markoe Posted at 11-22 06:39
As mentioned in previous post,  go to settings in SC and do the quick Compass calibration when drone and SC are connected and before take off.

I haven't had any bad experiences with the SC. I am a bit surprised by the sensitivity, only my BT-300 shows the same behavior, all Mavics are much less sensitive.
2020-11-22
Use props
djiuser_v1bjfklEDhKH
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39580 ft
United States

I have same problem, even after calibrating compass on new MA2 and new SC with latest updates, December 14, 2020.
2020-12-14
Use props
djiuser_v1bjfklEDhKH
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39580 ft
United States

Calibration did not fix the problem for me.
2020-12-14
Use props
morimoorecomcast.net
lvl.2
United States

As mentioned numerous times it doesn’t fix it. How many times do we have to say the same thing over and over ?
2020-12-15
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251358 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just paid $749 for my Smart Controller and I'm having this issue and it's so wrong that something this expensive has a bug like this and DJI just seems to ignore it.  When it does show the Drone, it's behind me to my left around 8 o'clock position.
Was the previous Firmware compatible with the MA2 or was that only added in the latest SC firmware update? Asking because maybe I could downgrade it to get it to work right.

such great drones.. such poor software on the SC.

Matt, Mesa, AZ

2020-12-23
Use props
morimoorecomcast.net
lvl.2
United States

MattCaz Posted at 12-23 11:09
I just paid $749 for my Smart Controller and I'm having this issue and it's so wrong that something this expensive has a bug like this and DJI just seems to ignore it.  When it does show the Drone, it's behind me to my left around 8 o'clock position.
Was the previous Firmware compatible with the MA2 or was that only added in the latest SC firmware update? Asking because maybe I could downgrade it to get it to work right.

I agree I’ve been on the phone numerous times and it’s like they no idea what I’m talking about , nor do they see the importance of it.
2020-12-23
Use props
TomAir9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 314144 ft
United States

Take a look at Utube video   and  
2020-12-23
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Very informative videos.  On my smart controller, DJI Fly didn't ask for any permissions.  I have Location set to precise with GPS , CELL, BLUETOOTH ETC.  If you don't have the drone location issue can you tell me what setting you're using for location services in the SC?
I'd love to get a compass app on the SC but do do that you need to side load it or use the Chinese apk I guess to allow Play store access.

Thanks

2020-12-23
Use props
morimoorecomcast.net
lvl.2
United States

TomAir9 Posted at 12-23 12:29
Take a look at Utube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NmuI_YETV8  and  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIzUxyX3Hfk
So did you switch the the controller back to high accuracy or leave in gps mode ?
  I’ve screwed with it for hours and can’t get it right.
2020-12-24
Use props
djiuser_A0xMoilJaTBv
lvl.2
United States

I just got my Mavik Pro 2 with the smart controller and will check today to see how mine performs.  Using the smart controller then it should be shielded and adjusted from the factory to compensate for ANY magnetic interference that the SC generates since the compass is built in, therefore we should only have to deal with variation and external interference.  Additionally as soon as that drone moves more than about 10 feet in any direction a true or magnetic course can be computed using only GPS data.  Interesting why the software doesn't compare the SC's compass to the GPS computed anyway to warn of inconsistencies.
2020-12-24
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I installed the compass app and the compass reads correctly when compared to my Samsung Galaxy S9.  I then went outside, connected the drone to the SC and then calibrated the SC compass again. Now it showed the position exactly 180 degrees out saying it was behind me.  It took off and did a low batt to the home launch point exactly within 6" to 1 foot.  There is definitely a software issue on the SC.
here's the link to a video I just shot using the same MA2 and the standard controller that didn't cost me $749!  Notice how it correctly shows the position of the drone. It ends abrutply because the battery was low when I took off so it did a return to home.

2020-12-24
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_A0xMoilJaTBv Posted at 12-24 10:50
I just got my Mavik Pro 2 with the smart controller and will check today to see how mine performs.  Using the smart controller then it should be shielded and adjusted from the factory to compensate for ANY magnetic interference that the SC generates since the compass is built in, therefore we should only have to deal with variation and external interference.  Additionally as soon as that drone moves more than about 10 feet in any direction a true or magnetic course can be computed using only GPS data.  Interesting why the software doesn't compare the SC's compass to the GPS computed anyway to warn of inconsistencies.

On the Mavic Pro 2 I would assume that it works fine. it seems that the Mavic Air 2 has this issue. Will be interested to see what you find out.
2020-12-24
Use props
Tim Gn
lvl.2
United States

Oops didn’t realize it was only on the Mavic Air 2.  On my smart controller I have FPV and then a tiny map in the bottom left, I don’t have a display like what is in the videos.  I assume I’m supposed to be able to use the map to fly my way back home?  Wasn’t able to fly today 30kt plus winds...... grrrrr

Tim
2020-12-24
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Tim Gn Posted at 12-24 17:29
Oops didn’t realize it was only on the Mavic Air 2.  On my smart controller I have FPV and then a tiny map in the bottom left, I don’t have a display like what is in the videos.  I assume I’m supposed to be able to use the map to fly my way back home?  Wasn’t able to fly today 30kt plus winds...... grrrrr

Tim

I believe you use the Go Fly V4 app? that shouldn't have the same issue but I could be wrong as I've never used that app.
2020-12-24
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

I have found that doing a compass calibration on the Mavic Air 2 fixes the problem for IOS phones.  Unfortunately, I do not the source code to analyze what other process take place during a Mavic Air 2 compass calibration.  But I do believe based on hours of and trial and error testing that it is not a software issue with the DJI Fly app.  

The DJI Fly yesterday was update to v1.2.2.  The aircraft orientation has been change to a the radar like in the GO 4 app.  Hopefully this will fix the issue once a Smart Controller firmware update that includes an updated version of the DJI Fly app is released.  

I think two different problems maybe occurring.  The first, is the Smart Controller/phone's compass is inaccurate because of ground level magnetic interference.  I have found that when the orientation is incorrect to just move to a different area after taking off as often the iPhones compass was the device that was catching the interference.  The second is that the aircraft's compass is inaccurate due to magnet interference at ground level prior to take off.  The doing a compass calibration on the Mavic Air 2 in the same sport where you are flying from synchronizes this inaccuracy between the Mavic Air 2 and the Smart Controller/phone's compass.  

The disadvantage to doing a compass calibration on the Mavic Air 2 every time your orientation gets misaligned is that certain areas have magnetic inference.  While showing correct at ground level once you raise your altitude and leave the area of interference your aircraft heading is incorrect.  If you move outside the interference area with your Smart Controller/phone then your North heading is wrong on the drone while your Smart Controller/phone is correct resulting in an inaccurate orientation.
With the radar layout for orentation in the DJI Fly app the Home Point covers the Blue dot with an arrow that indicates the controller's position and direction.  In order to use the orientation it is necessary to move at least 10-15ft from the home point to see the Blue dot and direction arrow.

Hopefully DJI has a fix for this in the latest DJI Fly app update but it may also require a firmware update for the Mavic Air 2.  I theroize that something in the compass sensitivity in the DJI Fly app is too high as the problem does not seem to persistent in the Go 4 app.
2020-12-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules