8209 54 2020-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MattCaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251358 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it's a hardware issue then why does it seem that the Go 4 app doesn't have the problem on the SC? Same hardware same compass.  My video shows the MA2 with the standard controller works just fine so that eliminates the MA2. So I'm still left believing that its either the Go Fly app software or the software in the SC or both that has a problem working correctly.
It might help if DJI released an updated DJI Fly app for the SC since the one on my brand new SC is 1.1.6 of something like that.
2020-12-25
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

MattCaz Posted at 12-25 07:46
If it's a hardware issue then why does it seem that the Go 4 app doesn't have the problem on the SC? Same hardware same compass.  My video shows the MA2 with the standard controller works just fine so that eliminates the MA2. So I'm still left believing that its either the Go Fly app software or the software in the SC or both that has a problem working correctly.
It might help if DJI released an updated DJI Fly app for the SC since the one on my brand new SC is 1.1.6 of something like that.

I don't think it is a hardware issue but a magnetic interference issue.

Given it does not happen on the Smart Controller using the GO 4 app I would have to lean towards it being an issue with the Smart Controller firmware and the magnetic north calculation.  But It may also be how the DJI Fly app on the Smart Controller interprets magnetic interference.
2020-12-25
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251358 ft
  • >>>
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 12-25 13:11
I don't think it is a hardware issue but a magnetic interference issue.

Given it does not happen on the Smart Controller using the GO 4 app I would have to lean towards it being an issue with the Smart Controller firmware and the magnetic north calculation.  But It may also be how the DJI Fly app on the Smart Controller interprets magnetic interference.

I sideloaded a compass app on the smart controller and it reads exactly the same as my Samsung Galaxy S9 with the same compass app.  It's gotta be the DJI Fly app.  I was an aircraft mechanic for 21 yrs and when troubleshooting.. eliminate the obvious by comparison. The fly app used on tablets with the standard controller works just fine as you can see in the video I posted.  The SC is running a very old version of the fly app. that may be where the bug is!
2020-12-25
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The DJI Fly app for the smart controller is just v1.1.6 as the Smart Controller support was just added this month.  The difference it is compiled for a 32 bit processor and not 64 bit architecture like IOS and Android use.

I experience orientation problems using an iPhone frequently. So I would not hastily blame the Smart Controller.  Original Mini users have not been experiencing this issue so that may reduce the likelihood of it being a DJI Fly app bug.

My belief is there is some slight error in the firmware for the MA2 or Remote/Smart Controller which is hard to pindown and not critical to flight. The problem still persist in the DJI Fly app v1.2.2.
2020-12-25
Use props
Tim Gn
lvl.2
United States

I did have to do a calibration on the smart controller and on the drone.  I flew it a few  times  close in visual and didn’t pay attention to the map.   Yesterday I checked and map showed the drone 90 deg left of my position and distance was accurate.  After calibration worked fine.  And that was with Go4 and Mavic pro 2
2020-12-27
Use props
Henry7722
lvl.3
Taiwan

Not all orientation issue are the same.
Some people are effected by other kind that cannot be calibrated and is not caused by interference. The orientation is off by exact 90°.  If it's interference, why some smart controllers do have this orientation issue and some don't? And why they all have exact 90° deviation in various kinds of situation/devices?
And no, calibration never works in those case.
2021-1-6
Use props
djiuser_yXev2MQIC3Ff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 83261 ft

United States

I just got my Mavic Air 2 with Smart Controller and noticed the issue with the compass 90 deg clockwise from the orientation of the controller. So with the controller pointed North the direction pointer in the DJI Fly app is pointing East.  Smart Controller Firmware version in 1.00.0880 and DJI Fly app version is 1.2.2.  I then downloaded and installed DJI Fly app version 1.2.4 and the problem still exists. It gets very confusing when trying to fly by map, hopefully, it gets fixed soon. Compass calibrations do not resolve the issue.
2021-2-22
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_yXev2MQIC3Ff Posted at 2-22 15:53
I just got my Mavic Air 2 with Smart Controller and noticed the issue with the compass 90 deg clockwise from the orientation of the controller. So with the controller pointed North the direction pointer in the DJI Fly app is pointing East.  Smart Controller Firmware version in 1.00.0880 and DJI Fly app version is 1.2.2.  I then downloaded and installed DJI Fly app version 1.2.4 and the problem still exists. It gets very confusing when trying to fly by map, hopefully, it gets fixed soon. Compass calibrations do not resolve the issue.[view_image]

It's really a shame that DJI can't solve this problem ...
... they promised over and over again ...

I asked the service directly months ago, but unfortunately it doesn't work at all; i only hear promises!

I now own a brand new MA2 Fly More Combo including the SC.
Unfortunately, the problem mentioned above is the same as with my "old" SC, which I had returned in the meantime ...

But, may I add a question that is a bit "off topic"?

If you had switched on the SC for a few minutes (after it was fully charged, i.e. 100% display in the battery symbol) until this battery display may have dropped to 97 ... 99%:

Switch off the SC and connect it to the supplied power supply unit with the (special) supplied USB cable ...

How long does it take on your SC until the charge indicator (the four rapidly flashing white LEDs) go out again?
With the original charge level of 97 to 99%, it should only take a few minutes, right?
For me it takes about 1 hour, so I think that something could be defective ...

Could you answer the question, please?
Thanks in advance!
Frank

2021-2-24
Use props
djiuser_yXev2MQIC3Ff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 83261 ft

United States

frankymusik Posted at 2-24 00:03

Checked, it stayed on for several minutes but I turned it back on while charging to check something and it was at 100%. I then turned it off and no charging lights came on.  
2021-2-24
Use props
Surf en Vivo
lvl.1

Uruguay

Look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NmuI_YETV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwtW00SEWAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVs-0jJY3KA

2021-4-29
Use props
Matite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61096 ft
  • >>>
Australia

frankymusik Posted at 2-24 00:03

I have noticed the same issue on both of my Smart Controllers (I have two brand new units). The bearing to the drone is always out by exactly 90 degrees. No amount of calibrating or adjusting settings helps.

None of the videos others posted above solve this issue, in fact, the one video where the guy shows that it is usually wrong but sometimes is correct got me thinking. I do a lot of coding and I had a similar bug in some of my code recently. I had a C# function:

public static Vector3 GXGetVector3OffsetPosition(Vector3 vec3Position, float fltHeadingAngleInDegrees, float fltDistanceOffset)

It's purpose was to get a new postion (a Vector3) in relation to the current Vector3 position, heading and offset. I actually converted some of my old code from another programming language but in doing so introduced a critical mistake. In my old programming language the heading value passed to the function was automatically converted to radians if I passed it a value in degrees but in my new C# function this did not happen so it was calculating an INCORRECT position based on the heading in degrees instead of raidans. The result was the EXACT same issue I see in the DJI Smart Controller in that the position was usually wrong (out by 90 or 180 degrees) but if I happened to be facing straight ahead (around 0 degrees) then it would return a correct position result.

So DJI, please ask your devs to double check any values they are passing to your functions and check if that function is calculating a position based on degrees when it should be radians. For example:

// Calculate the new position based on the specified position, distance and angle.
vec3Position.X += (fltDistanceOffset * (float)Math.Sin(-DegreesToRadians(fltHeadingAngleInDegrees)));
vec3Position.Y += (fltDistanceOffset * (float)Math.Cos(-DegreesToRadians(fltHeadingAngleInDegrees)));

Note the "DegreesToRadians" function I had to add to make the Math.Sin and Math.Cos return the correct value. Before I was feeding it only the heading in degrees which resulted in the incorrect values returned (sometimes out by 90 or 180 degrees).

Perhaps this could also explain some of the other issues people are having with your latest DJI Fly update? eg https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=240781

2021-5-8
Use props
CopEater
lvl.1
Flight distance : 238717 ft
Germany

I still have the same problem with very newest firmware and my mini 2. with m2zoom no issues.
Always 90 degree wrong compass.
Still no fix?
2021-7-30
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7006224 ft

United States

October 23, 2021 - DJI Fly still has this problem. Little arrow on blue dot should be pointing North, towards the road.

2021-10-23
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7006224 ft

United States

CopEater Posted at 7-30 12:09
I still have the same problem with very newest firmware and my mini 2. with m2zoom no issues.
Always 90 degree wrong compass.
Still no fix?

I am being told by DJI my Smart Controller is fine, no problems found; And it's now been elevated to a supervisor who I am pretty sure will say the same thing. No problems found.

Yet, just had a tech support person tell me my smart controller doesn't have a compass. And later in the same conversation that indeed the arrow is pointing the wrong way. But I need to resolve the issue with the supervisor assigned to my case. For which they plan on billing me for even though the controller is in warranty and also has the DJI Care extension coverage.

I can see small claims now.
2021-11-16
Use props
KTM80PT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 743235 ft
United Kingdom

After being in contact with Dji since last year about this myself, I got passed to European help, which seemed more able to help/ask required questions about the issue, they asked for me to make a video (I had done one previously) but this one for them a made it clearer with several shots and information, so there is no confusion of what both parties are talking about.
I have been assured now that they can see they problem (I guess with people of different nationalities things can get confused).

Fingers crossed in the next update or the 1 after this will be fixed.
2021-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules