No Fly Zones - What happens?
1465 5 2015-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

My apologies if this has already been answered...
I have a potential project where I am just on the border of a NFZ.

Questions:
1) If I am just outside the red zone app circle, will I be able to take off?
2) If I do take off, what happens if I venture into the NFZ?  Does it automatically land or RTH?
3) Is this literally a no fly zone or a height restriction zone?
4) I read somewhere about trying this out on the simulator, is this an accurate way to determine what might happen?

This is a real estate project.  Half the home is out of the NFZ and the other half is in the NFZ (now that is bad luck).
I am only taking low level still photography, no video, so it will be a quick in-and-out.  Can I just fly into zone, snap a few pics and get out of the zone?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Peter
2015-6-24
Use props
Yapstrapper
lvl.2

United States

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid153868
2015-6-24
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Damn - talk about position, position, position!  
2015-6-25
Use props
itswictor
lvl.3
Flight distance : 583041 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Weird experience yesterday. I flew just outside the border of the NFZ yesterday. What was interesting was when i first viewed the map at home i could see the distinct red circle, however when i was connected to the bird on the location i could see a second softer NFZ. I still got the warning i was in restricted area but flew fine.

fyi that i was strictly flying no higher than 30M, wasnt interested in the planes.
2015-6-25
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

itswictor Posted at 2015-6-26 02:58
...when i was connected to the bird on the location i could see a second softer NFZ.

From the user guide, pp. 46-47 (paraphrasing is mine): No-fly zones around airports are not simple solid lines of exclusion.  As you approach an airport your first indication that you are nearing an NFZ is a message on your screen.  This will continue for a 120' distance.  If you continue to approach the airport past that 120' buffer area, you will next experience an altitude restriction.  As you approach closer, the available altitude for flight will become lower and lower (at the closest point you can reach and still fly at all, your max altitude is limited to 66 feet as illustrated below in a graphic taken from p. 47 of the current user guide).  That one-mile-thick ring of increasingly-restricted altitude is the "soft" part of the ring that you see on your display while in flight.  The more solid part of the NFZ ring is the area in which no flight is allowed at any altitude.
Capture.PNG
2015-6-26
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Overmind you did not get blocked. Have not checked on it myself but is it possible that you get blocked when you respond to Sky Ninja?
2015-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules