Discussion on how to connect the battery to the PDB.
3074 17 2014-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
large
New

United States

Now I believe from DJI they tell you to connect the ground first then the hot wire. In all my years of working with electricity and DC circuits (industrial electrician) this is a no-no. I am just wanting a DJI rep tell me why I should connect the ground first then the hot when we all know it does cause arcing and battery issues whereas if you connect the hot first THEN the ground you will hardly have any arcing issues. Also I want to hear them say it's either okay or not okay to connect the hot wire first then the ground, same for disconnecting (remove ground then hot wire).

Thanks.
2014-11-21
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know it's in the s900 manual. The correct procedure would be negative and then positive.
2014-11-21
Use props
large
New

United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2014-11-21 23:31
I know it's in the s900 manual. The correct procedure would be negative and then positive.

You've also stated that on RCG and I thank you for it, but I want a DJI rep to confirm and to shed some clarity as to why they want to do it backwards.
2014-11-21
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok no problem. .
2014-11-21
Use props
mostey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I am going to throw my 2 cents in here. Industrial electrician for 10 years, working with 2VDC all the way to 138kvac. Whenever we disconnect / reconnect a DC circuit we always always always connect the hot then the ground, and when we disconnect we remove the ground first then the hot.

I am not telling you to do this on your expensive multirotor but it's what I plan to do. If you do this I do not see any way, shape or form as to how it would somehow damage your multirotor unless your motors were armed when you plugged the battery in (which they should not be for "inrush" purposes). The reasoning for doing this is to prevent arcing, which if your ground is on and you connect your hot there is always a chance to arc, if your hot is connect first and you connect your ground and there is an arc (always a chance) it will go to ground, that's why it's there.
2014-11-22
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Then please don't use the anti spark connector. This is to prevent damage to the connector and other components like the caps on the esc.

2014-11-22
Use props
mostey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2014-11-23 04:27
Then please don't use the anti spark connector. This is to prevent damage to the connector and other ...

That answer doesn't answer the question.. Are you a DJI rep out of curiosity? I think it's important to hear this directly from them. To suggest to not to use plug doesn't solve the problem but sweeps the issue under the rug.
2014-11-22
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You have heard directly from them on page 17 of the manual. If you do not connect the negative first then the connector will not work since the resister cannot do its job. I have been using this type of connector since single rotor days.
2014-11-23
Use props
mostey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

This is directly from Troy Built Models, they build tons of S900's for people..

"This is fairly common. Common sense dictates you would do black then red, but we have found the same issue you have. We recommend connecting RED then black. If you connect red second, the voltage expands the connector and breaks off the insulator as depicted."
Customer Service Manager

Bladestrike, thanks for your input but the jury isn't out yet, IMO. I appreciate all your help in the matter and you're an asset to this forum.
2014-11-23
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

That's strange, I will have to contact Gene.. I have helped them out on other things and it sounds like I need to correct them on this as well. If you do it backwards the resister will fail and in turn the connector tip will break.
BTW thanks for the kind words... My point being, if you want to do it your way please try another connector. Just trying to stop a failure before it happens.

2014-11-23
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I want to add I have been following this procedure on my s1000 as well. I have had the s1000 before it was released to the public with over 300 logged flights, absolutely 0 failures on the AS / XT150's.
2014-11-23
Use props
mostey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

But doest it mess up any electronics when plugged in backward other then melt anti spark? Still not sure what backwards is yet ;)
2014-11-24
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

No.. I have heard of it clearing out configurations when connected positive first. BUT not sure if something else happened in those cases.
2014-11-24
Use props
ducpeter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62175 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Blade_Strike Posted at 2014-11-25 04:23
No.. I have heard of it clearing out configurations when connected positive first. BUT not sure if s ...

any info about this, that cleared the config.
2014-11-24
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It was over on rcgroups in my s1000 owners thread...
2014-11-24
Use props
ducpeter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62175 ft
  • >>>
Germany

i have seen a crash on vimeo from an S900, waiting for the logs from this Pilot's flight
he has no idea why he crashed, no reactions on the sticks no failsafe, purple blinking 13 sats on the LB

that could be an issue
2014-11-24
Use props
mostey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

ducpeter Posted at 2014-11-25 09:04
i have seen a crash on vimeo from an S900, waiting for the logs from this Pilot's flight
he has no  ...

What version on A2?
2014-11-24
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ducpeter Posted at 2014-11-25 09:04
he has no  ...

Very odd, I would like to see the log as well.
2014-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules