Don't make this mistake - UNFOLD YOUR PROPS!
12Next >
8394 54 2020-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

So many new and even experienced drone operators fail to take this simple setup step before flying their drone, it may be doing more harm than you think!
Show DroningON some thanks by hitting SUBSCRIBE so that you don't miss future videos!

and here's a follow-up for the Mavic Mini (on the DroningON LIVE sister channel)

2020-10-3
Use props
Airmaxx23
lvl.2
Flight distance : 436824 ft
United States

It can't be good for your motors to start them with the props folded, everything is so out of balance.
2020-10-3
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the share
2020-10-3
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Great share!  I don't think I have ever left the props folded on my Mini, but have not been taking the extra step of pulling to get everything completely straight.  I will be now...
As you said, it is so simple to make sure the blades are completely straight before starting them.
2020-10-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I have seen a similar video on Facebook and must admit I never used to open props but since watching that I have always opened them up for every flight
2020-10-3
Use props
djiuser_D0sgAm6xL5jn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 379639 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing!
2020-10-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Educational. Thanks for the share.
2020-10-3
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only failed to unfold them once, on the first try, since I was used to the mini and that seems to be ok with it. Not going to ever happen again after I saw the wild vibrations that caused.
2020-10-3
Use props
Traxx119
lvl.4
Canada

I never unfold the props before flying. Always thought they separated right after starting the motors. From now on, I will also unfold them before every flight.  Thanks for sharing!
2020-10-3
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's a great share!!

I have to admit,  I don't ALWAYS spread the props.....usually,  but NOT always.  That will change as of today!!

Thank you

Aerial Traffic
Randy
2020-10-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good advice!
2020-10-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing.
2020-10-4
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101086 ft
United States

Woe Posted at 10-4 05:09
Thanks for sharing.

Props to the maker of this video.
2020-10-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Magicdroner Posted at 10-4 05:24

2020-10-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great advice and only takes a second or two to do.  
2020-10-4
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Magicdroner Posted at 10-4 05:24

Its me really glad that you enjoyed it, let's hope that drone operators pay attention and find it useful!
2020-10-4
Use props
djicheaha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing. Good advice. I routinely open the props but have not pulled then to align. I will now. Thanks, again. Good video.
2020-10-4
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Never thought about it, Thanks for the video.
2020-10-4
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

thx for the sharing!
2020-10-4
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Thanks folks! The DJI manuals all the way back to the original DJI Mavic Pro state that props must be unfolded prior to flight, and yet as many as 30% of consumers aren't doing it before flight (according to our poll on the YouTube channel). This is shocking, let's share this video to educate drone operators!
2020-10-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
2020-10-5
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

K6CCC Posted at 10-3 10:44
Great share!  I don't think I have ever left the props folded on my Mini, but have not been taking the extra step of pulling to get everything completely straight.  I will be now...
As you said, it is so simple to make sure the blades are completely straight before starting them.

It doesn't matter on the Mini that much because the props are free spinning on the screws that ties them to the motor. Even more, they spin so easily that as the motor starts to spin they will first remain behind and only then fully extend due to the centrifugal force. So there's no point in arranging them manually. On the Air 2 this is completely different as the props are pretty stiff in place and the central hub is securely held by the motor. Furthermore, the two individual props stick together which makes it worse if the motor is started like this.
2020-10-5
Use props
Mortensldk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Good info thanks for sharing
2020-10-5
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 10-5 04:09
It doesn't matter on the Mini that much because the props are free spinning on the screws that ties them to the motor. Even more, they spin so easily that as the motor starts to spin they will first remain behind and only then fully extend due to the centrifugal force. So there's no point in arranging them manually. On the Air 2 this is completely different as the props are pretty stiff in place and the central hub is securely held by the motor. Furthermore, the two individual props stick together which makes it worse if the motor is started like this.

This is true that the props spin pretty easily on the screws on the Mini, but if nothing else, it is a good habit to get into.  One of these days I may well buy a different drone (such as a Mavic Air 2) where it is does matter.
2020-10-5
Use props
saborman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 834669 ft
United States

Good to know. I will be more careful to always unfold the props
2020-10-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there sergeant. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this informative video you have found. Great find and thank you for your valued support.
2020-10-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Folded props at Spin-up - Pre-Flight Stress Test.
2020-10-5
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Following many requests relating to this issue with the DJI Mavic Mini, here's a follow-up video from the DroningON LIVE Sister Channel (be sure to subscribe to it for raw and breaking news videos!

2020-10-6
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Very informative, thanks for sharing!
2020-10-8
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-10-8
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Good info thanks for sharing. Cheers
2020-10-8
Use props
Ruzhye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing, I often don't open the propellers on my Mavic Air 2.  I'll keep this in mind.
2020-10-8
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

This makes a lot of sense. What's missing is any empirical data showing a difference between folding versus not unfolding. Don't get me wrong - I'm convinced and will be unfolding my props going forward. What I don't see is the solid evidence that this makes a difference. This evidence would probably be impossible to come by though, so I know that's not really possible.
2020-10-13
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Thanks for the share
2020-10-16
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dangerly Posted at 10-13 13:03
This makes a lot of sense. What's missing is any empirical data showing a difference between folding versus not unfolding. Don't get me wrong - I'm convinced and will be unfolding my props going forward. What I don't see is the solid evidence that this makes a difference. This evidence would probably be impossible to come by though, so I know that's not really possible.

I agree with you empirical  data would be useful. While this shows the impact visually of folded props I am not sure of the damage this would cause. At best guess it puts some stress on the motor bearings and rear arms

I suspect that it would be no different than the flying of the drone in sports mode and the impact of the auto braking. I would like to see the stresses of just basic flying in slow mo video.

To date i have never had an issue but I will try and unfold in the future.  
2020-10-17
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing!!!
2020-10-17
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Thanks for the information personally I did not know. I won't make the mistake again.
2020-10-17
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Edit never mind ....not redoing my post sometimes this site is retarded for Android mobile and what's up with just a thousand word cap ??? LOL yes I am trying to write a novel! Lol anyways I agree with always putting the plates out straight I have always even done this with my RC helicopters blades shouldn't be tight in the prop hubs nor in a helicopter so it's kind of common Sense think of a helicopter doing this with the blades folded almost 90°, wouldn't be pretty and also on a drone this does do damage over time you want notice probably till after 30 or even 100 flights but I bet you some motor screws would be loose even though they're loctited and I guarantee you might even have a jangly motor can .... This is why putting blades out straight will reduce wear and tear.  if I'm home I usually just keep props straight this way I can just grab it off the shelf and go and it's still in the same neutral point so  the next start is very smooth
2020-10-17
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

After seeing this post I have been unfolding my props before launch and that makes sense. That said, I have to say, there's this odd sort of little excitement I have watching a video and seeing the drone wobble a bit before it takes off. Can't say why - maybe it's just me. Like in this short video I made before I knew better.

2020-10-23
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Dangerly Posted at 10-13 13:03

Look at it this way, if you never closed your car doors before driving off, they'd shut on their own due to the momentum, but it wouldn't do the hinges any good over time. Initially they'd be fine, but after a year or so I'll bet they'll have challenges!
2020-10-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules