DJI smart contoller screen distortion lines
2944 15 2020-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Caarcrash
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1926 ft
United States

Just started flying our Mavic 2 pro with the new smart controller and just started having an issue with horizontal distortion lines across the controller screen that make it almost impossible to view the screen images much less select any of the controls.  I refreshed the latest firmware on the smart controller via the DJI Assistant 2 at least 2 times last night but the issue did not resolve.  I was trying to add the Pix4d capture app on the controller with no success before the issue started.  I deleted everything in the internal storage including photos, video, etc.
I have a class this week where I am supposed to be using the drone and now worry that I wont be able to fly.
HElP!!  How can I clear the lines from the screen???  Has anybody else had this problem or know how to correct it???

Screen distortion

Screen distortion
Horizontal lines.jpg
2020-10-3
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

Hi Caarcrash,

do you have any source of magnetic interference in the neighborghood ?  Could be a phone, loudspeaker, ...  Try the device outside and see if it still has interference.  If it does, I'm affraid you have a problem with the display an you better contact DJI support about it.
2020-10-4
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried a Factory Reset (in the settings menu) of the controller? You mentioned trying to install a picture viewer before this happened? Did the controller work before you attempted that install?
2020-10-4
Use props
Caarcrash
lvl.1
United States

jmb63 Posted at 10-4 05:38
Have you tried a Factory Reset (in the settings menu) of the controller? You mentioned trying to install a picture viewer before this happened? Did the controller work before you attempted that install?

Right....I will try a factory reset....if I can find it.  
2020-10-4
Use props
Caarcrash
lvl.1
United States

JohnDG Posted at 10-4 02:23
Hi Caarcrash,

do you have any source of magnetic interference in the neighborghood ?  Could be a phone, loudspeaker, ...  Try the device outside and see if it still has interference.  If it does, I'm affraid you have a problem with the display an you better contact DJI support about it.

Negative on the magnetic interference.  All worked well with the screen while flying over the last month.  
2020-10-4
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Belgium

Caarcrash Posted at 10-4 06:29
Right....I will try a factory reset....if I can find it.

go into settings and scroll down to "factory data reset"
2020-10-4
Use props
Caarcrash
lvl.1
United States

JohnDG Posted at 10-4 08:21
go into settings and scroll down to "factory data reset"

Just completed a factory data reset on the SC.....no change in the screen distortion....
2020-10-4
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Belgium

Caarcrash Posted at 10-4 08:39
Just completed a factory data reset on the SC.....no change in the screen distortion....

I am fearing a bit the display got damaged.
2020-10-4
Use props
Caarcrash
lvl.1
United States

JohnDG Posted at 10-4 09:16
I am fearing a bit the display got damaged.

That's what I am afraid of.  It has never been dropped and treated like my $80,000 scanner I use as well.  Just defective I guess.  Thanks for the suggestions though!
2020-10-4
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Belgium

Caarcrash Posted at 10-4 15:11
That's what I am afraid of.  It has never been dropped and treated like my $80,000 scanner I use as well.  Just defective I guess.  Thanks for the suggestions though!

Hi Caarcrash,

when dropping it, you would rather have a crack in the display. This is more likely the video processor chip or the display array itself.
2020-10-5
Use props
Caarcrash
lvl.1
United States

JohnDG Posted at 10-5 01:45
Hi Caarcrash,

when dropping it, you would rather have a crack in the display. This is more likely the video processor chip or the display array itself.

That makes the most sense.....I sent a request to DJI for replacement.  Purchased it on 8/3/2020.  Guess I'll see
2020-10-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Caarcrash. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having issue with the screen of your DJI Smart Controller and for the trouble this has caused. Since you have done multiple troubleshooting steps that could possibly rectify the issue on your DJI Smart controller. However, it seems that the problem persists, we highly recommend you to contact our DJI support team at ( https://www.dji.com/support ) for further assistance and for further evaluation of the said remote controller. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for your understanding.
2020-10-5
Use props
djifan99
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1611 ft
United States

I had a very similar issue a few days ago. Screen suddenly got all messed up about a minute after power on. I could still see the camera feed, but the viewport got shifted/squeezed to the left half of the screen, multiple lines going across horizontally, entire screen became purple and started flashing.

Immediately I took two screenshots but surprisingly they came out just fine. I should've used my phone to take a photo directly at the screen. Oh well.

That's not all. This is the 2nd Smart Controller I had, and before the mini 2 FW update came out, I had multiple occasions Go4 app crashing and freeze up. One time the drone was literally 5 meters above me on a beach with nobody around, and it froze up real bad that the drone wouldn't respond to anything, had to reboot Smart Controller on the spot to regain control.

The 1st Smart Controller I got had some kind of pairing issue, it would pair fine but within seconds the camera feed would freeze up (control still works), I had to constantly reboot the Smart Controller and/or re-pair before I could fly.

No it's not the problem with my drones for sure, I have two Mavic 2s, they work just fine with the stock controllers + iPhone.
2021-8-27
Use props
Caarcrash
lvl.1
United States

djifan99 Posted at 8-27 01:01
I had a very similar issue a few days ago. Screen suddenly got all messed up about a minute after power on. I could still see the camera feed, but the viewport got shifted/squeezed to the left half of the screen, multiple lines going across horizontally, entire screen became purple and started flashing.

Immediately I took two screenshots but surprisingly they came out just fine. I should've used my phone to take a photo directly at the screen. Oh well.

I sent my smart controller in for service and it was found to have manufacturer issues.  They sent a replacement for free.
2021-8-27
Use props
fans03468eb7
New
Canada

I had this exact same problem with my DJI RC, the lines randomly came on screen and didn't go away even after a factory reset. It definitely was a problem with the chip inside the controller. Ended up returning it.
2023-1-15
Use props
fans03468eb7
New
Canada

I had this exact same problem with my DJI RC, the lines randomly came on screen and didn't go away even after a factory reset. It definitely was a problem with the chip inside the controller. Ended up returning it.
2023-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules