Mavic Air Firmware Update Resulted in Crash!!!
830 20 2020-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shogan20
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1629012 ft
United States

Has anyone else with a Mavic Air with the recent update crashed?
I updated my Mavic Airs firmware recently, however afterward I had a ton of trouble connecting to GPS and would sometimes have to wit several minutes before connecting even in places wide open where I have flown several times.  

On Sept 7th I flew in a place I have flown several previously a ton.  However, on this trip, it resulted in a crash.  I waited several minutes for the GPS to lock on.  Then the Air went straight up as if connecting to GPS finally, then all of a sudden accelerated downwards violently, as almost if it was an emergency landing.  Unfortunately, it splashed down into freshwater and an "ESC Error" warning started popping up.  
What you will see in the video is me searching for a signal for a long time while hitting the up stick to ascend the drone.  What is NOT on here is the drone falling/descending into the water, then popping back out and accelerating back up super high, I was then struggling to control the bird as it was acting bizarre.  I then took it down in the final minutes to remove the battery and such.
I will add that I calibrated the compass before takeoff as per usual.  

I've spoken to a few other Air pilots and they have had similar issues recently.  I sent it to DJI and argued that it wasn't any pilot related issue, but a firmware issue, but it fell on deaf ears.  I just want to see if this has been common recently?  Thanks.
  Recording of my final flight.

2020-10-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

To get help best is to upload your flightlog,
using this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
After uploading put that link here.

or put a cloud link to your flightrecord.xt on here.

cheers
JJB
2020-10-7
Use props
NeverGrowBored
lvl.1
United States

Thx JJB!  Here is the link:  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/231IYW94XEV8XLTVIBIM
2020-10-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I am sorry for the accident happened, shogan, I understand that must be frustrated for you. I had checked your case, sorry that since the drone is beyond the warranty period, free data analysis may not be able to provide in this case, sorry for this situation. I will note down your feedback and forward to the proper team to notice.
Noticed that the drone was sent back to you, if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know, I will try my best to help.
2020-10-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I had a ton of trouble connecting to GPS and would sometimes have to wit several minutes before connecting even in places wide open where I have flown several times.  
You never had GPS any time during the flight, but that didn't seem to worry you.
You flew for 5:20 without recording a home point or having horizontal position holding or brakes (but don't seem to have noticed ??)

Because there was no GPS, there's no way to tell if this was due to the location you flew or if it was a genuine hardware fault (it wasn't firmware at all).
I waited several minutes for the GPS to lock on.  
It never had GPS at all.

Then the Air went straight up as if connecting to GPS finally
Umm .. connecting to GPS doesn't make the drone shoot straight up ??
There were two factors causing height issues in this flight.
One was that because your VPS sensors are sporadically giving false data, making the drone think it was close to the ground although it was quite high.
Either you have something blocking the downward sensors or the sensors need to be recalibrated.
The second is explained by this from p48 of your manual:
  Height is restricted to 16 feet (5 meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is activated.

then all of a sudden accelerated downwards violently, as almost if it was an emergency landing.
That sudden acceleration downwards matches your joystick input.

I was then struggling to control the bird as it was acting bizarre.
It was in atti mode (that you didn't notice) and had complicated height issues

That makes no difference and whether you did or not wouldn't have made any difference

I sent it to DJI and argued that it wasn't any pilot related issue, but a firmware issue, but it fell on deaf ears.
An experienced pilot should have noticed that he had no GPS and also that the VPS sensors were giving false data.
My feeling is that this is down to the operator and there's nothing to indicate a firmware issue.  
2020-10-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

If i may say so, you did miss a lot of warnings.....why ?

Flying in OPTI mode ; craft is stabilized using visual references.

Max height > no GPS and visual reference (flying in OPTI) = 5 meter max
Max height > no GPS and no visual reference (flying in ATTI) = 30 meter max

with a normal flight this chart is empty.

cheers
JJB

ID        Time         Warning Low
78         00 m  07.7 s  [   7.7 ]  [-LL]         Weak GPS signal. Positional accuracy may be compromised. Please fly with caution.
105         00 m  10.3 s  [  10.3 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
175         00 m  17.3 s  [  17.3 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
265         00 m  26.4 s  [  26.4 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
273         00 m  27.1 s  [  27.1 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
375         00 m  37.4 s  [  37.4 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
506         00 m  50.4 s  [  50.4 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
595         00 m  59.4 s  [  59.4 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
625         01 m  02.3 s  [  62.3 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
815         01 m  21.3 s  [  81.3 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
835         01 m  23.3 s  [  83.3 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
1025         01 m  42.4 s  [ 102.4 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
1185         01 m  58.4 s  [ 118.4 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
1305         02 m  10.5 s  [ 130.5 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
1335         02 m  13.3 s  [ 133.3 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
1515         02 m  31.4 s  [ 151.4 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
1595         02 m  39.3 s  [ 159.3 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
1655         02 m  45.4 s  [ 165.4 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
1951         03 m  15.0 s  [ 195.0 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
2070         03 m  26.8 s  [ 206.8 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
2077         03 m  27.6 s  [ 207.6 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
2085         03 m  28.3 s  [ 208.3 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
2110         03 m  30.9 s  [ 210.9 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
2118         03 m  31.7 s  [ 211.7 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
2128         03 m  32.6 s  [ 212.6 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
2155         03 m  35.3 s  [ 215.3 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
2185         03 m  38.4 s  [ 218.4 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
2225         03 m  42.4 s  [ 222.4 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
2261         03 m  46.0 s  [ 226.0 ]  [-LL]         IMU heading error. Please try flying forward and backward or land as soon as possible to calibrate the compass.
2279         03 m  47.9 s  [ 227.9 ]  [-LL]         IMU heading error. Please try flying forward and backward or land as soon as possible to calibrate the compass.
2281         03 m  48.0 s  [ 228.0 ]  [-LL]         Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution;
2405         04 m  00.3 s  [ 240.3 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.
3005         05 m  00.4 s  [ 300.4 ]  [-LL]         Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend.

analysis1a.png
2020-10-8
Use props
NeverGrowBored
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-7 20:58
I had a ton of trouble connecting to GPS and would sometimes have to wit several minutes before connecting even in places wide open where I have flown several times.  
You never had GPS any time during the flight, but that didn't seem to worry you.
You flew for 5:20 without recording a home point or having horizontal position holding or brakes (but don't seem to have noticed ??)

It has taken sometimes 5mins or more to get a signal, I was actively trying to get GPS connection by keeping the drone up as high as I could.  I have flown in this location several times.  It is remote, but I've ALWAYS been able to get GPS connection.

Because there was no GPS, there's no way to tell if this was due to the location you flew or if it was a genuine hardware fault (it wasn't firmware at all).I understand its tough without flight maps and such to determine a final answer just from the flight log, which is why I also included my first-hand experience on this flight.

I waited several minutes for the GPS to lock on.  
It never had GPS at all. I'm very aware, but thanks.  I'm not sure if that's a shot across the bow, but that's pretty obvious.

Then the Air went straight up as if connecting to GPS finally
]Umm .. connecting to GPS doesn't make the drone shoot straight up ??
I like having my sticks continuously up, then when it connects it will shoot upwards (as the video indicates).  I like doing this too because of the location being remote to ensure I gain a strong connection beyond the height of the trees.

There were two factors causing height issues in this flight.
One was that because your VPS sensors are sporadically giving false data, making the drone think it was close to the ground although it was quite high.
Either you have something blocking the downward sensors or the sensors need to be recalibrated.
The second is explained by this from p48 of your manual:
  Height is restricted to 16 feet (5 meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is activated.
Thank you.  This was good information about the sensors.  I did notice a discrepancy in the flight data as I looked over it when comparing the VPS height vs the IMU height towards the end of the flight when it crashed (large difference at about 3min 46sec). That may very well explain the data.

then all of a sudden accelerated downwards violently, as almost if it was an emergency landing.
That sudden acceleration downwards matches your joystick input.  If you're speaking of the end (4mins 2secs) I was landing.

I was then struggling to control the bird as it was acting bizarre.
It was in atti mode (that you didn't notice) and had complicated height issues
Of course I noticed.  I've been flying for about 4 years.  This is not uncommon when I hike into remote locations, but typically it will pick up GPS eventually and be fine.

That makes no difference and whether you did or not wouldn't have made any difference

I sent it to DJI and argued that it wasn't any pilot related issue, but a firmware issue, but it fell on deaf ears.
An experienced pilot should have noticed that he had no GPS and also that the VPS sensors were giving false data.
My feeling is that this is down to the operator and there's nothing to indicate a firmware issue.
Thanks for your input.  I was VERY aware it didn't have GPS.  My height onscreen in DJI Go4 App was reading out accurately.  
2020-10-8
Use props
NeverGrowBored
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 10-8 01:35
Hi,

If i may say so, you did miss a lot of warnings.....why ?

Understood.  I was in a remote location and previously flew to max height in ATTI awaiting for satellites to "catch" signal had proven to be a working method.  I'm not sure what the two black error dots are, but that looks to be around the freshwater touchdown.  

I'm certainly open to trying other methods to gain GPS in remote locations.  I typically hike in the Blue Ridge Mountains and take photos/videos in the woods.  I'm definitely open to suggestions as now with my Mavic Air 2, I want to avoid if there is a better solution.  Thanks again!
2020-10-8
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Your batteries seemed all messed up too.....
2020-10-8
Use props
NeverGrowBored
lvl.1
United States

amir_KING Posted at 10-8 04:49

I believe the one I had on board was toast post-flight.  Correct.  Up until that point, it worked fine.
2020-10-8
Use props
NeverGrowBored
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 10-7 20:21
I am sorry for the accident happened, shogan, I understand that must be frustrated for you. I had checked your case, sorry that since the drone is beyond the warranty period, free data analysis may not be able to provide in this case, sorry for this situation. I will note down your feedback and forward to the proper team to notice.
Noticed that the drone was sent back to you, if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know, I will try my best to help.

Yes, it was an uncharacteristically disappointing experience not even being able to look at the data due to the age when DJI still sells Mavic Airs on the website store.  Previously I've always had good experiences.  The main reason I started this post was to gain insight and also see if this is a common issue.  Thanks.
2020-10-8
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
United States

NeverGrowBored Posted at 10-8 04:51
I believe the one I had on board was toast post-flight.  Correct.  Up until that point, it worked fine.

Could this be the issue along with the other warnings?
2020-10-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

NeverGrowBored Posted at 10-8 04:44
Understood.  I was in a remote location and previously flew to max height in ATTI awaiting for satellites to "catch" signal had proven to be a working method.  I'm not sure what the two black error dots are, but that looks to be around the freshwater touchdown.  

I'm certainly open to trying other methods to gain GPS in remote locations.  I typically hike in the Blue Ridge Mountains and take photos/videos in the woods.  I'm definitely open to suggestions as now with my Mavic Air 2, I want to avoid if there is a better solution.  Thanks again!

Hi,

2 black dots indicate the IMU heading error during your flight.

When i look at the pitch/roll angles of your MA ; was it a no-wind day ?
Mayby because you did fly in OPTI mode (stabilized position) for some time, MA was in-out OPTI/ATTI, so easy to control in OPTI, more difficult to control in ATTI...wich surprised you....or ?

Best to wait for good GPS lock, MA2 is great next drone, but waist of money to loose it this way too in the future.

About your sudden climb...if you have full UP RC command in OPTI, drone will not climb ; 5 meter limit.If then craft switches to ATTI or better P-GPS, than with the full stick UP input it will climb up, shooting up in your words. But in ATTI it not attitude controlled....
In your flight ; 'normal' behaviour as the 5 meter limit was cancelled by ATTI, thus craft flys UP! to the next limit of 30 meter.
Its need only 1 record of ATTI to cancel the 5 meter limit, in OPTI again and flying higher than 5 meter, possible. As in your flight.Once you get down again < 5 meter the limit becomes active again.

Just for my understanding ; did your MA touches the water, you pulled her out and after that a landing in ATTI mode?
At that point MA roll right = 50 degrees! before and after normal values...

In the chart, is where the VPS height line touches zero the encouter with water ? if yes, than i do not understand the baro height values in your log.

Ps if you stil like to start a flight in OPTI/ATTI (risky), than only hovering in front of you to wait for GPS; no need to have 100% UP stick, as it will not climb.
Just watch drone / screen / drone / ect..   or you see ATTI (plus audio) : land asap, or you see P-GPS ;go for a flight

But best ofcourse is just to wait on the ground for enough sats.

Cheers
JJB

analysis3.png
2020-10-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

amir_KING Posted at 10-8 04:49

The battery was fine and had nothing to do with the incident.
2020-10-8
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-8 06:00
The battery was fine and had nothing to do with the incident.

He had multiple high cell deviations and cell 3 was definitely acting up. I dont think it affected the flight though.
2020-10-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

amir_KING Posted at 10-8 06:11
He had multiple high cell deviations and cell 3 was definitely acting up. I dont think it affected the flight though.

Nothing to worrie about, i think....
analysis2.png
2020-10-8
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 10-8 06:19
Nothing to worrie about, i think....

I mean, you much more, ill take your word for it.
2020-10-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

amir_KING Posted at 10-8 06:26
I mean, you much more, ill take your word for it.

i flew many miles with my MA, had 4 batterys  and all 4 had max cell deviations between 200 and 800 mVolts. Never had any problem in my flights.

So mayby > 100 mVolts = not oke, but for me practically no problem.

But all pilots should use their own limits in wich they feel good/safe to fly.

cheers
JJB
2020-10-8
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 10-8 06:40
i flew many miles with my MA, had 4 batterys  and all 4 had max cell deviations between 200 and 800 mVolts. Never had any problem in my flights.

So mayby > 100 mVolts = not oke, but for me practically no problem.

I might be a scardy cat, but if i get battery errors, sorry battery, bye bye!
2020-10-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

amir_KING Posted at 10-8 06:47
I might be a scardy cat, but if i get battery errors, sorry battery, bye bye!

In the GoApp never a battey error, all sites wich decode flightrecords adds their own 'truth' on limitations. Just my 2 cents.

I do the same in FRAP, but only to inform about out-of the-what-i think-is-normal values, than the user can decide what to do...
2020-10-8
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 10-8 06:51
In the GoApp never a battey error, all sites wich decode flightrecords adds their own 'truth' on limitations. Just my 2 cents.

I do the same in FRAP, but only to inform about out-of the-what-i think-is-normal values, than the user can decide what to do...

2020-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules