12Next >
9891 59 2020-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin Wale
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38737 ft
Canada

So I noticed on my last two flights that my gimbal on my Mavic Air 2 has been doing some weird things very randomly, and I have no clue what's going on.
All I know is that about 60% of the time, when I use the right stick to push forward, the gimbal jerks only for a moment, and then jerks again when I stop. Like I said tho, this only happens about 60% of the time because the other 40% I do that there is no issue whatsoever, and I cannot figure out why and there is no consistency with when it happens.
I calibrated the gimbal twice and it didn't have an impact, and I am also not getting any warning that there is a gimbal overload. While today had some wind, the last flight where I also had this issue had no wind whatsoever. I really can't afford to have these issues with my drone as I do work for clients. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2020-10-8
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

if too fast or on s mode, then the gimbal will do jerky movement. it happened to me too
2020-10-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Kevin Wale. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know if the said drone had a hard landing or a crash before this issue happened and are you able to post a sample video of the said issue for us to see. Thank you.
2020-10-8
Use props
Kevin Wale
lvl.1
Canada

kiminx Posted at 10-8 19:00
if too fast or on s mode, then the gimbal will do jerky movement. it happened to me too

But the problem is it happens on all modes, sport, normal and tripod, and sometimes it won't do it at all for no rhyme or reason, and it doesn't effect the gimbal when I move the stick right or left.
2020-10-9
Use props
Kevin Wale
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-8 21:58
Hello there Kevin Wale. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know if the said drone had a hard landing or a crash before this issue happened and are you able to post a sample video of the said issue for us to see. Thank you.

For some reason I cannot attach the video in this comment, even tho it is a DJI file lol...

I might be able to share it via Drive if I must. To answer your question, no the drone has not had recently, not ever had a hard or even an abrupt landing. I did have some issues about 2 months ago with a filter that wouldn't come off, but I was able to fix the issue and my first flight after solving it I took off (on a very windy day btw) with no gimbal issues.
2020-10-9
Use props
ronaldocc13
New
Flight distance : 44482 ft
Bolivia

The same happens to me, it is uncomfortable to record something good and that the video comes out with a sudden movement
2020-10-22
Use props
Jamie Andrew
New

Canada

Same thing happens to me.   Ma2 new outta the box and it’s doing it.
2020-12-12
Use props
rooller71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 750935 ft
Hungary

This problem is already running on multiple threads! Unfortunately, this also happened with my new machine! It started with the third battery! I sent it back to enforce the warranty! Current status, backward posted by DJI.
2020-12-13
Use props
Rauma
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1794291 ft
Italy

It's a known issue. This is my post: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=227777
2020-12-15
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
United States

if you can record the video of this happening either through your phone live view screen recording or better yet through the memory card saved video, it will be the proof needed to send in your drone for warranty repair.

FYI it has happened to a few owners in my country, way before the firmware update, months and months ago, and I live in a equatorial climate with all year round 27 to 40C.
2020-12-15
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

fans01d4f09b Posted at 12-15 22:48
if you can record the video of this happening either through your phone live view screen recording or better yet through the memory card saved video, it will be the proof needed to send in your drone for warranty repair.

FYI it has happened to a few owners in my country, way before the firmware update, months and months ago, and I live in a equatorial climate with all year round 27 to 40C.

So this has nothing to do with cold weather?

I seem to have this problem.  I'm now reviewing all of my footage.
2020-12-16
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Malaysia

The Duck Posted at 12-16 06:26
So this has nothing to do with cold weather?

I seem to have this problem.  I'm now reviewing all of my footage.

it has happened in the US (according to my anecdotal knowledge) and across the world since close to launch. Google youtube gimbal jelly / jello / shake Mavic Air 2, so if we count just time from May / June till now, Dec 6 months will be enough to cover all sorts of weather.
2020-12-16
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

rooller71 Posted at 12-13 01:37
This problem is already running on multiple threads! Unfortunately, this also happened with my new machine! It started with the third battery! I sent it back to enforce the warranty! Current status, backward posted by DJI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJPXlaManbk

I've never experienced that with mine. Wow... that is really bad actually.
2020-12-16
Use props
SangheiliSpecOp
lvl.1
United States

itsdavesdrone Posted at 12-16 12:56

Yeah I guess I am lucky, I only went out for a couple of flights so far with my new MA2 and have no issues. Also been reading threads of peoples drones crashing or falling from the sky n stuff (just in general, maybe not related to this specific model) and it scared me lol. I always calibrate everything and check my props and test everything before flying though. I hope everyone gets the gimbal issue sorted
2020-12-16
Use props
rooller71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 750935 ft
Hungary

itsdavesdrone Posted at 12-16 12:56

You are lucky my friend! My machine has been replaced and if all is true tomorrow will arrive by post! I'm afraid in advance that a defective product will not come to me again !!!
2020-12-17
Use props
fans51747691
New

United States

Mine too. Just started doing it recently. No hard landings, crashes, etc
2020-12-18
Use props
Brent Kowalske
New

United States

rooller71 Posted at 12-13 01:37
This problem is already running on multiple threads! Unfortunately, this also happened with my new machine! It started with the third battery! I sent it back to enforce the warranty! Current status, backward posted by DJI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJPXlaManbk

Has anyone got an answer for why my gimbal jerks around while I shot video? This is happening right out of the box. Same exact thing as in this video. Thx!!
2020-12-29
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Malaysia

Brent Kowalske Posted at 12-29 17:51
Has anyone got an answer for why my gimbal jerks around while I shot video? This is happening right out of the box. Same exact thing as in this video. Thx!!

Hi, if you did actually read the link, it wouldve ended with the owner sending it in for a warranty repair / replacement.

Do it for your own drone, so far there is no further explanation than dji will repair it. Most likely a defective part or design or some manufacturing defect.
2020-12-29
Use props
djiuser_zZjuynH0kiPI
New
Flight distance : 2593698 ft
United States

It seems like mine started doing it after the firmware update 2 days ago. I flew it for a couple months with no problems until the firmware update I am wondering if it can be reverted.
2020-12-30
Use props
KTM80PT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 743235 ft
United Kingdom

I have this exact same problem. I have had my mavic air 2 since May and had no issues, I updated the drone probably 2 days ago and now the gimbal bounces when stopping - this has nothing to do with the speed let me be clear!

It has NEVER been crashed or banged, It never ever done this in any of the three modes regardless of speed or direction - it has this problem from the last update now.

Please FIX this ASAP!
2021-1-1
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

KTM80PT Posted at 1-1 10:13
I have this exact same problem. I have had my mavic air 2 since May and had no issues, I updated the drone probably 2 days ago and now the gimbal bounces when stopping - this has nothing to do with the speed let me be clear!

It has NEVER been crashed or banged, It never ever done this in any of the three modes regardless of speed or direction - it has this problem from the last update now.

The fact that you updated the firmware and it started happening is a coincidence.  It's a hardware fault.  From what I've read it is a very common problem.  Mine started doing it after a few flights and it progressively got worse.  I was told to send it in for repair, but I opted to return it instead.

There was one person who took a fan brush and cleaned the gap where the gimbal rotates on the Y-axis and he said it fixed the problem.  That might be worth a try.  Otherwise you are due a free repair.
2021-1-1
Use props
KTM80PT
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The Duck Posted at 1-1 19:28
The fact that you updated the firmware and it started happening is a coincidence.  It's a hardware fault.  From what I've read it is a very common problem.  Mine started doing it after a few flights and it progressively got worse.  I was told to send it in for repair, but I opted to return it instead.

There was one person who took a fan brush and cleaned the gap where the gimbal rotates on the Y-axis and he said it fixed the problem.  That might be worth a try.  Otherwise you are due a free repair.

Myself - I don't think it is a hardware fault, If i fly in video mode - even with out recording the the gimbal bounces when coming to a stop looking at the screen, look at the screen and it does it when coming to a stop. Seems odd that there are more people having this issue After this recent update and that have flown months without issue.
The gimbal rotates freely in all axis (powered off as well as in the sky) if i yaw or use thumbwheel to rotate gimbal totally free - its only with flight.
Forward flight video  [color=var(--ytcp-link-color)]
Manual circling lateral flying video  [color=var(--ytcp-link-color)]

I have emailed DJI support to make them aware as nothing seems to be noted by them on the forums.

2021-1-2
Use props
djiuser_ej1lN6xoIo98
New
Flight distance : 1697717 ft
Ireland

I am having the same issue, it started a few days ago.
I will follow this thread for more updates
2021-1-2
Use props
Romahn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 623894 ft
United States

I have the same issue with my Mavic Air 2 once temperature dropped below 40 F.
Found one solution here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gac4Al8bVvo
Author removed bearing from Mavic Air 2 gumball. Then he placed the bearing into a freezer for several minutes, then notice that the bearing "rotates with braking". Author recommend to place the bearing into alcohol (I believe 97% alcohol) for 10 minutes, dry it out and place the bearing back. Author said no oil should be added.
I didn't try to follow the procedure yet. Just some thoughts. What do you think? If someone will repeat the procedure, please comment below. Thank you.
2021-1-4
Use props
Romahn
lvl.1
United States

KTM80PT Posted at 1-2 02:44
Myself - I don't think it is a hardware fault, If i fly in video mode - even with out recording the the gimbal bounces when coming to a stop looking at the screen, look at the screen and it does it when coming to a stop. Seems odd that there are more people having this issue After this recent update and that have flown months without issue.
The gimbal rotates freely in all axis (powered off as well as in the sky) if i yaw or use thumbwheel to rotate gimbal totally free - its only with flight.
Forward flight video  https://youtu.be/mNEipE4lOa8

"The gimbal rotates freely in all axis”: Do following test: remove SD card and use built-in memory. If no issues: for 64 GB SD cards - format your SD card to FAT32 [more details are here: https://mavicpilots.com/threads/sd-card-for-mavic-pro-gimbal-resets-64-gb-fake-microsd-cards.70850/page-1]. Other option will be to buy another SD card that approved by DJI [on the bottom of this page: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air-2/specs]. Choose SD card brand that doesn’t match your current one.
2021-1-4
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
United States

Romahn Posted at 1-4 14:25
I have the same issue with my Mavic Air 2 once temperature dropped below 40 F.
Found one solution here:

This is an interesting finding. Personally I'm not ready to admit it is due to a low temperature as there are instances of the gimbal jerking / overloading / skipping / jumping in my country (Malaysia, temperature never below 24C, never above 45C). I've heard of at least 5 cases in my country through facebook groups etc.

Also, the video maker "put the bearing in a freezer" and noticed unsmooth bearing rotation? I'm wondering was there moisture condensing and freezing from the freezer itself, depositing onto the bearing?

Based on the Youtube machine translation it wasn't clear if the video maker is trying to degrease the bearing or remove moisture from the bearing (Which if deposited from the act of freezing is just not the original problem).

I have seen in my job cases of grease / lubricant failure at low temperatures. Such as freezing / caking and causing skipping, which lends some credibility to this hypothesis.

I applaud this video maker (The world will not run out of problem solvers-yet) but for now I'm not 100% convinced yet, based on my few arguments above.
2021-1-4
Use props
djiuser_MGQiXyot5cTQ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 144882 ft
Canada

This is clearly a defect of some kind DJI. It has done it and has since I pulled it out of the box.Jerking gimbal. And it is noticeable and bad. Time to fix a known issue. Comeon I paid like $1400 bucks for this! What the hell?
2021-1-9
Use props
djiuser_KGl2OiTN1CoQ
New
Flight distance : 65886 ft
United Kingdom

I have had the same happen with my MA2 recently. Which has only occured in the last 3 flights over the last 3 weeks. The drone has not experienced any impact whatsoever, looking at the other comments leads me to believe that it could be a software glitch as it is now a common issue.
2021-1-10
Use props
Romahn
lvl.1
United States

I made a video to demonstrate my Mavic Air 2 behavior on 33 F. https://youtu.be/TggqEDkDF3c
2021-1-11
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

Romahn Posted at 1-4 14:25
I have the same issue with my Mavic Air 2 once temperature dropped below 40 F.
Found one solution here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gac4Al8bVvo

Bad oil or grease formulation was my best guess on why it's happening.  Of coursea a fearless Russian takes his gimbal apart and fixes the problem.  Forget the warranty!

If you have the gimbal problem, contact DJI immediately and have them fix it.  They need to know there is a problem and fix their quality control problems.
2021-1-12
Use props
fans13922c26
lvl.1
Flight distance : 176499 ft
United States

Same thing... received my magic air 2 3 days ago. every video of flight has the jerky gimbal, that am now discovering, is very common.
2021-1-12
Use props
Mbetti
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51086 ft
United States

rooller71 Posted at 2020-12-13 01:37
This problem is already running on multiple threads! Unfortunately, this also happened with my new machine! It started with the third battery! I sent it back to enforce the warranty! Current status, backward posted by DJI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJPXlaManbk

I just took a replacement drone out of the box today and it does this exact same thing, not impressed!
2021-1-12
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

Mbetti Posted at 1-12 19:50
I just took a replacement drone out of the box today and it does this exact same thing, not impressed!

No one tested it before it was sent to you.  I'm not surprised.

DJI, kindly fix the problem.
2021-1-13
Use props
KTM80PT
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The Duck Posted at 1-13 07:24
No one tested it before it was sent to you.  I'm not surprised.

Do me a favour (meant in a kind way ) check the controller for a firmware update/try DJI assistant - I powered my Sc up and a firmware update fore it to 01.00.0880 was available, done that and went out for a fly, I had no bounce from ether lateral travel or for/Rev at over 7m/ps where as before the gimbal bounced  at 2m/ps or more. Also today was still cold at 0c
2021-1-13
Use props
SharkWatch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3740089 ft
United States

Same issue. No idea why this keeps happening.

2021-1-15
Use props
KTM80PT
lvl.3
United Kingdom

SharkWatch Posted at 1-15 12:12
Same issue. No idea why this keeps happening.

Couple examples of the issue here

Hi shark watch, are you using the standard roc or smart controller? Have you checked for firmware updates- my controller had one a few days ago, the previous was late December.

I updated the controller fw, then in case calibrate imu/ gimbal ( which did not fix the problem before) but now mine has gone and flying in minus and 0c which so,e had claimed was the cause.
2021-1-15
Use props
Lops
lvl.3
Flight distance : 747772 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I am quite sure it is a software problem, nothing to do with temperature. The drone is breaking too hard for the gimbal balance system. And that occured with software updates. DJI needs to fix it, because i WILL NOT BUY A NEW DRONE for artificially caused problems due to software...
2021-1-16
Use props
Yavuz Demir
lvl.1

Turkey

Did you solve this problem??
2021-1-21
Use props
Yavuz Demir
lvl.1

Turkey

Romahn Posted at 1-4 19:12
"The gimbal rotates freely in all axis”: Do following test: remove SD card and use built-in memory. If no issues: for 64 GB SD cards - format your SD card to FAT32 [more details are here: https://mavicpilots.com/threads/sd-card-for-mavic-pro-gimbal-resets-64-gb-fake-microsd-cards.70850/page-1]. Other option will be to buy another SD card that approved by DJI [on the bottom of this page: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air-2/specs]. Choose SD card brand that doesn’t match your current one.

Did you solve the problem in this way then?
2021-1-21
Use props
cagatayh
lvl.2
Turkey

Waiting response from DJI.

More than 10 people have exactly same problem here.
2021-1-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules