823 8 2020-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HitrackAP
lvl.3
Flight distance : 428176 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Been using the Mavic Air 2 quite a bit recently whilst travelling. Noticed a bit of an Issue with Batteries and the way they behave in storage. It seems we have no way of changing the time allowed before discharging. Thats fine for now I guess. However in between travelling to a recent shoot the batteries started to Auto Discharge in my bag. I charged all at the same time a few days before I left so they all discharged at the same time also. When I got to the hotel I noticed theres heat generated from all 3 batteries and they simply wouldnt halt discharging. On The P4 Pro I could turn then on and off which would intterupt the discharge time. I needed to charge them again whilst still quite warm which after many years of using lipos I know really isnt a good thing. This had happened twice now and I think we need a better solution or these batteries are going to fail at some point!
2020-10-9
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Exactly, I fear that too.  
It is very inconvenient to keep an eye on the state of charge and start charging at the right moment if you want to fly soon.
2020-10-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

They should discharge after not being used for 2 days and it is normal for them to get warm when in discharge mode, to take it off this mode just put them on the charger. don't fly your drone when the battery is in this state always charge up first.
2020-10-9
Use props
HitrackAP
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 10-9 10:53
They should discharge after not being used for 2 days and it is normal for them to get warm when in discharge mode, to take it off this mode just put them on the charger. don't fly your drone when the battery is in this state always charge up first.

Thats the issue here. Lipo batteries really shouldn't be charged when hot.  We need some control on when they discharge I guess.
2020-10-10
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A few days before is to many days to hold the charge at full. Ideally you should discharge the batteries to storage charge if you are not using them in a 24 hour period. Remember these are not LiPos they are LiHVs so hold a greater charge and voltage.
2020-10-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there HitrackAP. Thank  you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. The DJI Mavic Air 2 has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For additional reference I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. Thank you.

2020-10-11
Use props
MisterFrag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I don’t think charging them while they are in the discharge phase is much of a concern. The heat you are feeling isn’t coming from the batteries themselves, but a separate element designed to dissipate the charge as heat. The internal battery temperature isn’t going to be much above ambient, and most of that is radiant heat. The heating element draws so little power that it takes several days to bring the voltage down to a storage level.
2020-10-11
Use props
HitrackAP
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-11 19:17
Hello there HitrackAP. Thank  you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. The DJI Mavic Air 2 has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For additional reference I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thanks for this information. Stephen. Thats cleared up a lot of my worries. If they do indeed have some  element to dissipate heat then I dont need to worry about charging warm batteries. Hey this will also come in handy during the colder months ha
2020-10-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

HitrackAP Posted at 10-12 02:05
Thanks for this information. Stephen. Thats cleared up a lot of my worries. If they do indeed have some  element to dissipate heat then I dont need to worry about charging warm batteries. Hey this will also come in handy during the colder months ha

Hi there HitrackAP. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules