To windy RTH
742 21 2020-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

I want to go fly and it's calm on the ground but my safe RTH height is to windy. So if I fly and active by hand or threw an unexpected auto RTH  it would be bye bye mini.
I do not plan to fly above the tree lines.
So the minimum RTH is 49.2 height so that's not good. I wish it could be set at 15 feet.
Doug
2020-10-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I want to go fly and it's calm on the ground but my safe RTH height is to windy. So if I fly and active by hand or threw an unexpected auto RTH  it would be bye bye mini.
You need to consider direction, not just wind velocity.
If you fly upwind, it might be slow flying, but coming home would be no problem at all.

2020-10-9
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

My main concern is it has to go up into the higher winds during a RTH if that was activated. I do understand flying into the wind.And I do plan on keep it 20 feet or less. So I'm wondering if I should at least set the RTH as low as possible. I guess doing that it could tumble to the ground at my feet lol.
Doug
2020-10-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Will the drone be relatively close to you? If so, set it to hover instead of RTH. You could then try to get closer and take control back.
Worst case it evemtually runs out of power and lands where it is.

2020-10-9
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-9 20:53
Will the drone be relatively close to you? If so, set it to hover instead of RTH. You could then try to get closer and take control back.

Thats a good idea. I didn’t think of doing a hand launch and do a hover.
And as I keep it below the tree line I should be fine.
Question. If I do a hover dose it do the RTH height and return to home or dose it just go to home at its height and hover at take off point height.
2020-10-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 10-9 20:53

But if the drone was stuck in a headwind too strong to fly against, it's not going to hold position any better if the loss of signal action is set to hover.
2020-10-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Donut Posted at 10-9 21:28
Question. If I do a hover dose it do the RTH height and return to home or dose it just go to home at its height and hover at take off point height.

Hand launch ??
Who said anything about hand launching?
Hand launching won't do anything to help you in the scenario you've described.

And forget the whole hover thing, it's not the solution to anything .. as explained in the post above.

The Mini is poorly equipped to fight strong winds.
What you need to do is avoid getting caught in a situation where your Mini is downwind and fighting a headwind that's too strong for it to fight.
2020-10-9
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-9 22:28
Hand launch ??
Who said anything about hand launching?
Hand launching won't do anything to help you in the scenario you've described.

My concern is not to fly in the wind and was wondering about RTH that it has to go up high to,RTH height to. Return.  In the area I fly it’s calm close to, the ground or below tree level but if I were to loose signal it would climb to RTH up where its windy. During those times I keep it low. When I fly at this area the mini is in sight. Minimum RTH height is 49 feet.
At ground lever to 30 feet it’s calm but at 50 feet it’s getting above the trees where the wind is.
2020-10-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If, for any reason, RTH is activated, the drone will rise to its pre-set RTH height before heading for home.
Unless of course your drone is already flying above that pre-set height in which case it will RTH at the current altitude.
2020-10-9
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 10-9 22:43

Ok. I’ve used RTH a few times.
So what is the difference between RTH and  Hover.
2020-10-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Donut Posted at 10-9 22:49
Ok. I’ve used RTH a few times.
So what is the difference between RTH and  Hover.

RTH is what it says - Return to Home.  Hover is exactly that - hover in place (until further command)
2020-10-9
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 10-9 23:07
RTH is what it says - Return to Home.  Hover is exactly that - hover in place (until further command)

Ok thank you. Now I understand .
2020-10-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Donut Posted at 10-10 00:05
Ok thank you. Now I understand .

You're very welcome
2020-10-10
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-9 22:23
But if the drone was stuck in a headwind too strong to fly against, it's not going to hold position any better if the loss of signal action is set to hover.

I think you missed his question. He wants to avoid it going higher and into the strong wind. He wants to avoid the RTH that will put the drone higher. I suggested he avoid increasing altitude by using hover instead of RTH.
2020-10-10
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

"Question. If I do a hover dose it do the RTH height and return to home  or dose it just go to home at its height and hover at take off point  height."

No, if it is set to Hover, it will not increase altitude. It will just stay where it is until the battery is expended, at which time it will have to land there.
I use the Hover option a lot when flying my drones from a boat since I don't want it trying to get to a home position that is no longer useful.
2020-10-10
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-10 08:41
I think you missed his question. He wants to avoid it going higher and into the strong wind. He wants to avoid the RTH that will put the drone higher. I suggested he avoid increasing altitude by using hover instead of RTH.

Thanks Gary. That is exactly what I was trying to explain.
I think the hover would be my best option.
But if and when it goes into RTH mode dose it go to the RTH height and hover. That would not be good either. I wish DJI would reduce the RTH height to say 20 feet. And yes I do understand the RTH obsticals that it has to clear. Right now the lowest it can be is 49 feet.
Thanks Gary.
2020-10-10
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Donut Posted at 10-10 09:45
But if and when it goes into RTH mode dose it go to the RTH height and hover. That would not be good either. I wish DJI would reduce the RTH height to say 20 feet. And yes I do understand the RTH obsticals that it has to clear. Right now the lowest it can be is 49 feet.

Unless you're positioned in a hollow or a sheltered place, the wind at 50ft shouldn't be too much different to the surface. You said in your first post "I want to go fly and it's calm on the ground but my safe RTH height is to windy" - I can't see how the wind at the minimum RTH height is going to be too strong for your Mini. If it really was calm on the ground, even at a few hundred feet it's not going to be too strong unless there's some significant windshear, which is not that common.

2020-10-10
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donut Posted at 10-10 09:45

Once again, NO. It does not do anything but stay there and hover. And by the way, if you select Hover instead of RTH, there is no RTH. Hover or Descend is an option instead of RTH.
2020-10-10
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-10 14:31
Once again, NO. It does not do anything but stay there and hover. And by the way, if you select Hover instead of RTH, there is no RTH. Hover or Descend is an option instead of RTH.

Sorry for the confusion but I just wanted to be clear.
Thank You.
2020-10-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Doug. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. In addition, to this post the DJI Mavic Mini's max wind speed resistance is at 8 m/s ( Scale 4 ). Please fly with caution and always check the environment where you fly your DJI Mavic Mini to avoid any unwanted incidents. Thank you.
2020-10-11
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-11 20:08
Hello there Doug. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. In addition, to this post the DJI Mavic Mini's max wind speed resistance is at 8 m/s ( Scale 4 ). Please fly with caution and always check the environment where you fly your DJI Mavic Mini to avoid any unwanted incidents. Thank you.

Thanks Stepien. I always check local wind conditions and always check the top of the tall trees in my area.
I don’t fly UP  HIGH  if their is any wind.
Something on a windy day towards evening the wind dies down ground lever but their sometime their is sometimes a shear winds just above the trees that you can’t see and this is late in the afternoon before sunset.
So I just have to be careful and when I’m not sure I just do a straight up from takeoff point and watch and I listen to the motors close.
Doug
2020-10-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Donut Posted at 10-11 20:21
Thanks Stepien. I always check local wind conditions and always check the top of the tall trees in my area.
I don’t fly UP  HIGH  if their is any wind.
Something on a windy day towards evening the wind dies down ground lever but their sometime their is sometimes a shear winds just above the trees that you can’t see and this is late in the afternoon before sunset.

Hi there Doug. You are very much welcome and thank you for the wonderful information you have shared. have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2020-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules