Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Don't buy a drone until you know your phone works with it
1264 17 2020-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lasivian
lvl.1

United States

I'm beginning to learn that the most important thing when buying a drone is not anything to do with the drone itself, but to make sure that the app that goes along with the drone will work on the phone or tablet you intend to use with it.

This has been nothing but an impossible headache for me.

Either the app crashes, the the device isn't 64-bit, or the cable is not long enough, or the phone doesn't fit in the controller, etc, etc, etc.

At this point i'm down $200 in additional phones and cables and 3 weeks deep in just trying to get the app working and I have not even powered on the drone yet.

2020-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You know about the compatibility list on the website right?
2020-10-11
Use props
Lasivian
lvl.1

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 10-11 11:30
You know about the compatibility list on the website right?

I know about it "now". Nobody and nothing told me that phone compatibility would be an issue with a drone before I bought one.
2020-10-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Lasivian Posted at 10-11 12:34
I know about it "now". Nobody and nothing told me that phone compatibility would be an issue with a drone before I bought one.

I'm more of a a 'RTFM' guy, so DJI told me before I bought one.
2020-10-11
Use props
Lasivian
lvl.1

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 10-11 22:57
I'm more of a a 'RTFM' guy, so DJI told me before I bought one.

Good for you
2020-10-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

But it happens more often.
You sort of expect things to work on all devices these days.
2020-10-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

(I mean : you are not the first one for this to happen)
2020-10-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just get an iPhone 11 or 12 and you won't have any issues.
2020-10-13
Use props
Lasivian
lvl.1

United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-13 02:56
Just get an iPhone 11 or 12 and you won't have any issues.

My drone cost half of one of those phones does.
2020-10-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lasivian Posted at 10-13 06:02
My drone cost half of one of those phones does.

My drone was more than the 11 pro max,  but as a device I use all day long its still worth the money.  
2020-10-13
Use props
fanse39fc2b6
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 10-11 23:25
But it happens more often.
You sort of expect things to work on all devices these days.

Wrong pronoun.
A lot of us DON'T just expect things to work on all devices.
Consider the $$ spent education expenses,
2020-10-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fanse39fc2b6 Posted at 10-15 13:31
Wrong pronoun.
A lot of us DON'T just expect things to work on all devices.
Consider the $$ spent education expenses,

Well, I would expect an app to work on all devices if I did not know better.
2020-10-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Indeed - basic research is very important when deciding if flying a drone is worth while. There are many things to take into consideration such as the device you have being compatible with the app, that you are a patient person able to read manuals/perform preflight checks/are responsible enough to adhere to basic laws/live in or near an area that permits the flight of drones etc etc - these crafts are not toys and many people go in head first only to regret their decision by not doing proper planning and research before pulling the trigger.

DJI drones are renowned to work more efficiently with Apple products and anything from an iPhone 6 to 11Pro will work. The more powerful the processor in the phone, the more efficient the app will perform - which is common sense.

2020-10-15
Use props
Lasivian
lvl.1

United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-13 23:52
My drone was more than the 11 pro max,  but as a device I use all day long its still worth the money.

My company pays for my day-to-day phone. Why would I spend more than I have to on a phone that I will only ever use with my drone?
2020-10-16
Use props
Lasivian
lvl.1

United States

A J Posted at 10-15 23:05
Indeed - basic research is very important when deciding if flying a drone is worth while. There are many things to take into consideration such as the device you have being compatible with the app, that you are a patient person able to read manuals/perform preflight checks/are responsible enough to adhere to basic laws/live in or near an area that permits the flight of drones etc etc - these crafts are not toys and many people go in head first only to regret their decision by not doing proper planning and research before pulling the trigger.

DJI drones are renowned to work more efficiently with Apple products and anything from an iPhone 6 to 11Pro will work. The more powerful the processor in the phone, the more efficient the app will perform - which is common sense.

Then praytell why does it not support more Android tablets?

This all sounds to me more like DJI not wanting to deal with the added expense and complications of coding an app for more than high-end users.

I'm not made of money. $400 for a drone was a major investment. Being forced to spend several hundred dollars more just to use a screen with it is insulting.
2020-10-16
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lasivian Posted at 10-16 17:53
Then praytell why does it not support more Android tablets?

This all sounds to me more like DJI not wanting to deal with the added expense and complications of coding an app for more than high-end users.

Th app is quite powerful (64 bit) and requires a processor with sufficient power to handle it. There are toy drones that don't require such modern devices to fly.
2020-10-16
Use props
Lasivian
lvl.1

United States

A J Posted at 10-16 23:02
Th app is quite powerful (64 bit) and requires a processor with sufficient power to handle it. There are toy drones that don't require such modern devices to fly.

There are plenty of powerful android devices that DJI refuses to support. Including all of Xiaomi.
2020-10-16
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lasivian Posted at 10-16 23:05
There are plenty of powerful android devices that DJI refuses to support. Including all of Xiaomi.

No idea - but it doesn't. So the simple solution is to purchase a device that is compatible or return the drone.
2020-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules