High Altitude Warning msg at 0 FT
2777 13 2020-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Scorp2k20
lvl.1

El Salvador

Hi Everyone!!Iv been loving my Mavic Mini so far I have taken lots of great footage with this small drone, gladly in my country there are no regulations for this kind of drones so im having a blast lol
I watched LOTS of videos before buying my Mini, as well learned the basics and some advanced drone stuffs so i kind of know how not to mess up lol.. but today...  something really weird happened?

I went to a place called "El Boqueron" in El Salvador, this is a dead Volcano with a great view, this place is at 1,893 meters and it has a huge hole when you climb to the top so I was trying to get some footage. Note: Everytime I flight, I always calibrate IMU and Compass, I did it and  as soon as I took off... I got the High Altitude. Fly with caution warning message... i was at 1 meter or less so I did check the settings and everything was fine, max altitude was at 200mts, distance around 3000mts, RTH 100mts, i tried to go further but it didnt let me go futher than 49mts of distance, also tried to get altitude but also didnt let me.. i have uploaded the logs as well the recording on my drive if you wanna see and help me understand why did this happend..  

After that, i took my drone and went to another location, I thought maybe my Fly App is buggy.. so i did switch phone and used the Fly App with another account on that android phone but it was WORST.. lol when i tried to take off, got the High Altitude warning message, tried to fly but same issue, also when I tried to perform a hand landing (I always do a hand landing), it didnt recognize my hand? lol also I tried to force turn off by turning it upside down but it didnt work? somehow it did turn off while I was holding down on my controller and the drone upside down...  

Also forgot to mention.. I did calibrate IMU and Compass again before the second test and it took some time to complete some steps.. any clue?

Here are the 2 logs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18WdXLhll0zm1ACAwygv8aIiUNj9vZNv_/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1izOMZPWZrmlL3M1wQJg7ZkUWKHBXPNAg/view?usp=sharing

Here is the Video from the Flight Data Center: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ffVNv86Onq25gLcu03zydRxRvTD_Ftf8/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for your help in advance!

2020-10-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Note: Everytime I flight, I always calibrate IMU and Compass
Also forgot to mention.. I did calibrate IMU and Compass again before the second test

Why?  There's no need to do this and it doesn't make anything work better.

this place is at 1,893 meters
I got the High Altitude. Fly with caution warning message.
Here's that message:
High altitude. Aircraft braking distance increased and flight time decreased. Fly with caution

it didnt let me go futher than 49mts of distance, also tried to get altitude but also didnt let me
Did you have any extra weight on the Mini?  Propguards etc?
The limits you describe are the same as for Payload Mode
If there was no extra weight, it must be related to the altitude.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-209012-1-1.html

2020-10-10
Use props
Scorp2k20
lvl.1

El Salvador

Labroides Posted at 10-10 19:31
Note: Everytime I flight, I always calibrate IMU and Compass
Also forgot to mention.. I did calibrate IMU and Compass again before the second test

Thanks!

I never use the Prop Guards outdoors, only when im at home testing, I also thought maybe the Payload mode somehow got enabled after I took off but shouldnt the logs mention the drone is on payload? also I always check the advanced safety settings to make sure RTH is checked, as well to make sure payload is not enabled.

It did happen twice, with a different phone, different user and also did check the advanced safety settings, didnt see payload enabled but maybe somehow it did enable payload after i took off?  could this be a firmware issue?  

I am confused because I tested 2 different phones, 2 different users, actually the second phone didnt have the DJI Fly app, i had to dl it, did the first configuration and also made sure RTH was checked, no payload, altitude set to 200, RTH 100, max distance 3000mts and i had the same issue.

In regards of the IMU calibration, honesty I always do this before I flight because my first month, the radar was not working properly, sometimes it did mark my drone behind me when I had it in front of me so I fixed that issue by doing the IMU calibration as some youtube users recommended, "make sure to calibrate compass and IMU just in case" but can the IMU calibration really be the cause of this?  also one more thing...  the drone did not recognize my hand as well the floor.. was just dirt and grass...  i tried to land it on my hand but didnt work.. tried to turn it upside down but didnt work.. so i decided to land normally and still did not recognize the grass.. i had to hold down while having it upside down for like 10 seconds lol somehow it did finally worked.
2020-10-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Scorp2k20 Posted at 10-10 19:51
Thanks!

I never use the Prop Guards outdoors, only when im at home testing, I also thought maybe the Payload mode somehow got enabled after I took off but shouldnt the logs mention the drone is on payload? also I always check the advanced safety settings to make sure RTH is checked, as well to make sure payload is not enabled.
I am confused because I tested 2 different phones, 2 different users, actually the second phone didnt have the DJI Fly app, i had to dl it, did the first configuration and also made sure RTH was checked, no payload, altitude set to 200, RTH 100, max distance 3000mts and i had the same issue.
The limits are unrelated to the phone you use and are all about the drone.
If it's not Payload Mode, it probably has something to do with the altitude since the Mini is only rated to 3000 metres and the higher it is, the harder it is for the Mini.
The simple way to check is to fly down much closer to sea level and see if it still has the limitations.

In regards of the IMU calibration, honesty I always do this before I flight because my first month, the radar was not working properly, sometimes it did mark my drone behind me when I had it in front of me so I fixed that issue by doing the IMU calibrationas some youtube users recommended, "make sure to calibrate compass and IMU just in case" but can the IMU calibration really be the cause of this?
Maybe only half of what you'll find on Youtube is correct.
There are plenty of idiots spreading misinformation there.
Recalibrating the IMU won't fix the orientation indicator and there's no need to do it much unless your drone gets banged up in a crash.
There's definitely no need to recalibrate anything before each flight.
If your orientation indicator is misreading, that's because the magnetic field of your controller is deflecting the compass in your phone.

2020-10-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12445630 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Had a look at your log to.

This message in the first log may explain why....

at 4m28s > " Flight altitude restricted | Flight altitude restricted. Log in or go to real-nameauthentication ""

Any NoFlyZone etc there ?  or any kind of zone wich does restrict to fly there?

At 1m37 your MM reached the maximum distance allowed, this is a setting in the app. But this value is not written in the flightlog but in the DAT file.So if you like put a cloud-link to the DAT file for this flight. (on your mobile device ; MCDatFlightrecords map)

EDIT
Had a better check about your height and distance limit reaching, few in this log.  see the chart.
The post of Labroides did help ofourse; if your fly app was on-off-on ect  than the default limitations are in place, height and distance.
In the chart you see writen
"LimitDistanceReached" and "LimitHeightReached" and "CX LimitDistanceReached" and "CX LimitHeightReached". CX is when the True becomes False again.

Don`t know yet why the reached True/False value becomes False again, any disturbance between RC<>FlyApp ?
But the connection RC<>App is gone  than no data is written in the log, so i am bit puzzeld now....Why did you think your mobile device (FlyApp) was bit buggy ??

Who knows the height and distance limitations when flying a MM without a mobile device?  I Cannot find it in the manual. Read one post on this forum ; user experience > 100 feet / 30 meters for both.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2020-10-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 10-11 01:18
Hi,

Had a lool at your log to.

If it's saying: Log in or go to real-nameauthentication
That just sounds like he needs to sign out of the app and sign in again.
2020-10-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 10-11 01:25
If it's saying: Log in or go to real-nameauthentication
That just sounds like he needs to sign out of the app and sign in again.

perhaps  but OP did not wrote he was thrown out of the app
Plus the message is in one line "Flight altitude restricted. Log in etc...."  so imo not to do with sign in again.

Interesting, so if i fly only with a RC connected than the height limit = 30 meters?  do you know this?

2020-10-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 10-11 01:34
perhaps  but OP did not wrote he was thrown out of the app
Plus the message is in one line "Flight altitude restricted. Log in etc...."  so imo not to do with sign in again.

do you know this?
Yes
2020-10-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 10-11 01:39
do you know this?
Yes

Thanks,  learning all the time!  
2020-10-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 10-11 01:56
Thanks,  learning all the time!

When it was first introduced, it happened quite a bit but I haven't seen one of these for a year now.
2020-10-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 10-11 02:09
When it was first introduced, it happened quite a bit but I haven't seen one of these for a year now.

see my edited post, more True False readings for height and distance reached limits
2020-10-11
Use props
Scorp2k20
lvl.1

El Salvador

JJB* Posted at 10-11 01:18
Hi,

Had a look at your log to.

Now that you mention this, I did notice something, when I did the IMU calibration, it took a long time to finish, there was a HUGE antenna behind me, around 200 meters, and also there were alot of antenas around the volcano at probably 500 - 800 meters from my spot, i could say around 10 or 15 antennas, I was told to fly my drone at that spot because thats the spot tourists use to fly drones, only 1 antenna behind and the rest were far.
This is why I thought maybe the antenna disrupted somehow the app so I decided to go to a restaurant 5kms away from that place, no antennas, did the IMU calibration just in case because I didnt know but now i know it doesnt help lol  but still had the same issue.

I just came home today, and my first thought..  "i will try my drone here to see what happens" it did work fine :s  so im lost.. not sure if the reason was the antennas maybe somehow disrupted the RC or drone configuration?   also there are no restrictions, the only place I see with restrictions is very close to the Airport and some military bases.

Today, I decided to try going to the same restaurant, is close to the volcano with a great view, I hope it works this time.

Also someone mentioned, maybe the RC / Drone detected I was very high but I have been in the highest place in my country where the altitude is at 2700 meters and I had no problem flying my Mavic, the place is called "Cerro el pital - El Salvador" has a fantastic view by the way   so i will try going to the restaurant to see if it works,  if everyone goes fine, means probably the antennas caused this behavior.
2020-10-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Scorp2k20 Posted at 10-11 06:17
Now that you mention this, I did notice something, when I did the IMU calibration, it took a long time to finish, there was a HUGE antenna behind me, around 200 meters, and also there were alot of antenas around the volcano at probably 500 - 800 meters from my spot, i could say around 10 or 15 antennas, I was told to fly my drone at that spot because thats the spot tourists use to fly drones, only 1 antenna behind and the rest were far.
This is why I thought maybe the antenna disrupted somehow the app so I decided to go to a restaurant 5kms away from that place, no antennas, did the IMU calibration just in case because I didnt know but now i know it doesnt help lol  but still had the same issue.

oke, looking forward to see your video. Must be great place to visit & fly your drone!

as said ; no need to do always a IMU calibration.  If the aircraft orientation indicator doesn`t show correct than
- if white arrow is not pointing to the same heading as the actual craft > calibrate drone compass
- if white arrow is not correct positioned on the fwd 180 compass scale > calibrate mobile device compass

happy many landings,
cheers
JJB

2020-10-11
Use props
Scorp2k20
lvl.1

El Salvador

Alright, I went to the same restaurant yesterday, It did allow me to further and I could go higher but still the High Altitude warning message was all the time on my screen, as soon as I took off, the High Altitude warning message would appear, I had 4 disconnections from my RC at a very close range (20 - 100 meters), I had to turn off the RC, turn it back on quickly to get signal back.. so in conclusion:

The last firmware update is not working properly, there is a lot of comments on Youtube and Social Media about the last firmware update, I never had so many disconnections in 1 day, as well the High Altitude warning message, idk.. anyone else here can confirm the last firmware is buggy?

Here is the log of the disconnection from my RC at a very very close range: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18GQVYy8Ucl7pc4ps6LOR7Uu9G4WBW7Li/view?usp=sharing
Here is one of the logs with the High Altitude warning msg while flying around that place: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18CFk7Q1Zr9wFqwXSg3a4USxoA6_6P-Y_/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: I was not going to upload what I recorder on my phone because somehow, the resolution was too small lol but I will still upload the small footage so you can see, how it got disconnected at close range, it was the 4th time I had that issue yesterday, also the high altitude warning msg at all times: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Jh-Ft0f1vxZx9DYJngcdEwdf21ba7hG/view?usp=sharing
2020-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules