575 29 2020-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

3.0m/s descent is way too slow.  8m/s was perfect but the default should really be at least 4 or even 5m/s in Sports mode (emergency mode).  To come down from 400' from 25% took like 5% battery.  Imagine doing an RTH from a high-altitude and it being at 5% while overhead is the issue.
2020-10-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Imagine doing an RTH from a high-altitude and it being at 5% while overhead is the issue.
Imagine being so bad at planning your flying !!
You'd probably have lots of other problems too.
2020-10-11
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-11 00:53
Imagine doing an RTH from a high-altitude and it being at 5% while overhead is the issue.
Imagine being so bad at planning your flying !!
You'd probably have lots of other problems too.

If you shot commercially, you would understand.  Sometimes you want to get those extra shots and forget the battery is low.

I don't think I have flown non-commercially in a while.  It's too boring but because of all the commercial skills, you can put the drone up in the air and fly w/o issue.
2020-10-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 10-11 01:15
If you shot commercially, you would understand.  Sometimes you want to get those extra shots and forget the battery is low.

I don't think I have flown non-commercially in a while.  It's too boring but because of all the commercial skills, you can put the drone up in the air and fly w/o issue.

If you shot commercially, you would understand.

I do and I do, but it sounds like you don't.

Sometimes you want to get those extra shots and forget the battery is low.
So a commercial operator can't be expected to keep track of the battery level while flying??

And the significance of this is ??
2020-10-11
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-11 01:37
If you shot commercially, you would understand.
I do and I do, but it sounds like you don't.

If you don't get lost in the experience, it's probably due to the P4 feed being so bad compared to the M2 feed w/ the Smart Controller.  If you have both, you would understand what you don't understand.

It's that good.
2020-10-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Even the MA2 can do 11.2MPH
2020-10-11
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I put mine back to 8 m/s.  Had awesome results w/ it.  Takes no time to get on the ground.  8m/s ascent was great but stresses the batteries.
2020-10-11
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

3m/sec is a safe speed designed for stable flight to avoid descending into its own turbulent airflow.  Its designed like that for a reason.

The rest is just terrible planning and operation.  You dont end a flight on 5% battery in the same way you dont plan to end a car journey with 5% fuel remaining.

3m/sec is 40 seconds from 400ft to the ground.  Nowhere near any sensible battery/flight time usage.

Untrue.  Commercially especially you have planned your flight, your times, your shots, have risk assessments, insurance policies that force SAFER flight than recreational users.  You also have spare batteries to finish the job.

If you 'forget' your battery is low you have no business flying a drone at all yet alone commercially.
2020-10-11
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

c
2020-10-11
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 10-11 03:27
3m/sec is a safe speed designed for stable flight to avoid descending into its own turbulent airflow.  Its designed like that for a reason.

The rest is just terrible planning and operation.  You dont end a flight on 5% battery in the same way you dont plan to end a car journey with 5% fuel remaining.

You are lacking real-world information as well as real-world experience.

I probably have so much more experience than you ever had in drone flying.  DJI drones are the drones for novices.  I fly drones that don't have stabilization.

Just think about the reason why the 25% limit exist.  Just think about having GPS and the Compass working.  Think about everything setup as well as everyone else who crashed their drones.  I haven't lost a DJI drone once.  If you think I have no idea how to fly, how bored must you be?

Should we always remember how much flight time we have w/o looking at the battery percentage?  Should be always be mindful of the battery and distance?  Of course, I don't fly 10KM with 25% battery, I'm still within LOS.  I'm saying, my suggestion is to increase the descent rate for the other users who aren't supposed to be flying, as you've said, that run their batteries All the way down to 5% that comes in to land from above only to find out they don't have enough to make it land w/o dropping out of the sky.

8m/s descent won't work on the Spark if you are too close to the ground.  There isn't enough power to keep it from going into the ground if you let off too late.

The actual descent rate limit is 10m/s.  I've had the 8m/s descent limit on All my DJI drones except the P4PV2.0 and they descend just fine.  The drones are designed to right itself from a motor off state with how the flight computers are designed.  The PID loop is what all these drones are based off of.  If you do research and build your own as I've done back in 2013, you would know this.

If you want to always use things according to what the manufacturer set.  If you want to keep the shipping plastic on your TV and other displays like other people.  If you want to always follow what anyone tells you who you consider Professional, then go ahead but you will remain limited but, safe not safest.

I've applied for FAA waivers as well as contacted towers with approval.  They know me and there is no issue.  I prefer not to fly as it could crash out of the sky but for the sake of making more money and helping clients out, I have to do what I gotta do to make it all work.
2020-10-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with Ant on this.  It should be 5/ms.  The M2 is ridiculously slow at descent.  Overly cautious.
2020-10-11
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I am sure you guys know better then to get into an argument with Ant by now
2020-10-11
Use props
xagoras
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1357589 ft
Greece

Suren Posted at 10-11 09:22

Haha, I'm getting the popcorn out
2020-10-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 10-11 09:22

An awful lot of hot air emanating from this thread, and it's not coming from over-heated motors
2020-10-11
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I totally agree with OP. Slow descent rate is a great annoyance if you're in a hurry for the next scheduled gig. For this reason I'm often adding the cost of a replacement drone to the invoice and perform CSC motor killing procedure to pull the SD card with footage out as quick as possible. Sometimes it takes a bit of a dirt sifting to find this little thing, but hey, the client is happy with fast delivery and extra entertainment!
2020-10-11
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 10-11 15:49
I totally agree with OP. Slow descent rate is a great annoyance if you're in a hurry for the next scheduled gig. For this reason I'm often adding the cost of a replacement drone to the invoice and perform CSC motor killing procedure to pull the SD card with footage out as quick as possible. Sometimes it takes a bit of a dirt sifting to find this little thing, but hey, the client is happy with fast delivery and extra entertainment!

Using CSC in the air and doing a restart is the fastest way to come down but it's better to set 10m/s descent as that is the safest fastest proven way over CSC.
2020-10-11
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

xagoras Posted at 10-11 13:43
Haha, I'm getting the popcorn out

2020-10-11
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Blériot53 Posted at 10-11 14:38
An awful lot of hot air emanating from this thread, and it's not coming from over-heated motors

Oh don't get him started
2020-10-11
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Blériot53 Posted at 10-11 14:38

Oh don't get him started
2020-10-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 10-11 22:56
Oh don't get him started

2020-10-11
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 10-11 21:19
Using CSC in the air and doing a restart is the fastest way to come down but it's better to set 10m/s descent as that is the safest fastest proven way over CSC.

I'm not smart and fast enough to restart the motors just above ground after CSC. I prefer crashing the drone, recovering SD card for a client and adding the cost of a replacement to the invoice. They never complain, enjoying the crashing spectacle and extremely fast delivery of the footage.  
2020-10-11
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 10-11 23:06
I'm not smart and fast enough to restart the motors just above ground after CSC. I prefer crashing the drone, recovering SD card for a client and adding the cost of a replacement to the invoice. They never complain, enjoying the crashing spectacle and extremely fast delivery of the footage.

Use a drone net then to catch it.
2020-10-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How are you updating the descent speed?
2020-10-13
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-13 01:35
How are you updating the descent speed?

DJI Assistant.
2020-10-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is that one of the hidden options?
2020-10-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-15 01:34
Is that one of the hidden options?

You have to use I think 1.1.2
2020-10-15
Use props
Kwazy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41227 ft
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-11 04:48
You are lacking real-world information as well as real-world experience.

I probably have so much more experience than you ever had in drone flying.  DJI drones are the drones for novices.  I fly drones that don't have stabilization.

"I probably have so much more experience than you ever had in drone flying."

Who talks like that? Are you 12? My dad will beat up your dad.
2020-10-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... H-GFXWZ?usp=sharing
then search vert_vel for normal and sport in parameters and change the negative ones to -8 instead of -3
2020-10-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Kwazy Posted at 10-15 15:05
"I probably have so much more experience than you ever had in drone flying."

That's the village idiot.
He talks like that all the time,
The messages on Japanese T-shirts make more sense (and have a better understanding of photography).
2020-10-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 10-15 05:03
You have to use I think 1.1.2

Ah the ctrl-click thing, OK.
2020-10-16
Use props