Throttle stick off centred
5765 25 2020-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65200 ft
United Kingdom

I am getting an error saying throttle stick off centred and I am unable to take off. When trying to calibrate the RC I get no input on left stick. This seems to be intermittent as sometimes it does work. I also have an intermittent issue where I am flying and the drone goes up and yaws left, however I am not pressing left to left and up (mode 2). I am at wits end with it, only had the drone a month and sent it off to DJI who couldn’t not find a defect, however I am unable to fly anymore because it says throttle off centred when it is in centre.

Has anyone had similar issues or can anyone advise on why this is? I have raised the issue again with DJI and hoping this time they will deal with it.

Please see this link to YouTube video where I have recorded my issues - https://youtu.be/A8YXm0-vooo

Any help appreciated

2020-10-13
Use props
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I am unsure how to upload photo on here to show the error. New to this forum.
2020-10-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very bizarre behavior.  Your video definitely indicates there is an issue with the RC.  DJI needs to look at the RC again.  Easy fix would be for them to review your video and send you a new RC.  Good luck and I hope you get it fixed and flying again soon.
2020-10-13
Use props
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-13 05:44
Very bizarre behavior.  Your video definitely indicates there is an issue with the RC.  DJI needs to look at the RC again.  Easy fix would be for them to review your video and send you a new RC.  Good luck and I hope you get it fixed and flying again soon.

My thoughts exactly, but when I sent it off they said engineers found no defect. The video clearly shows it is not working as it should. I have been back in contact today and I am hoping this time they take it back and fix or replace it. I think the drone itself is fine, it’s just the RC that seems to be dodgy.

I bought it direct from DJI back in August and have no confidence in flying it with these issues.  
2020-10-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz Posted at 10-13 05:47
My thoughts exactly, but when I sent it off they said engineers found no defect. The video clearly shows it is not working as it should. I have been back in contact today and I am hoping this time they take it back and fix or replace it. I think the drone itself is fine, it’s just the RC that seems to be dodgy.

I bought it direct from DJI back in August and have no confidence in flying it with these issues.

I agree with you.  Definitely a hardware issue and I would definitely not be flying it.  
2020-10-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello there, I realize that this situation is difficult and I appreciate the video that you have shared. Have you tried to fly your Mavic mini to a different location and see if same thing happen? Possible reason is because of the GPS signal is weak or there's an interference. If issue persist send your Aircraft and the RC for diagnosis. You can refer to this link to submit an online repair request: https://www.dji.com/uk/service/repair
Or you can send an email to support@dji.com for repair assistance. Thank you.
2020-10-13
Use props
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-13 09:24
Hello there, I realize that this situation is difficult and I appreciate the video that you have shared. Have you tried to fly your Mavic mini to a different location and see if same thing happen? Possible reason is because of the GPS signal is weak or there's an interference. If issue persist send your Aircraft and the RC for diagnosis. You can refer to this link to submit an online repair request: https://www.dji.com/uk/service/repair

I have tried this in 4 different locations with same issue.
2020-10-13
Use props
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-13 09:24

I raised a case with DJI and they asked me to send it which I did. The engineers said they found no defect and sent it back. However I am unable to fly it so as you can imagine I am pretty angry about this and have raised the case again.
2020-10-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't believe a Super Moderator asked about the GPS, as if bad GPS data would affect the left controller stick capability ONLY. Come on.

I just disassembled one of my remotes (the one with no insurance), traced the circuitry, and it looks like the white wire is open at the left stick control cable to the connector on the main board. Since the white wire is at the end of the 4-pin connector, it may be that the connector is cocked to one side and is making contact only at times. In the business, this is called an "intermittent" and may be ok when the tech tests it but not ok when you use it. It is possible to view the connector by removing just one small screw and the small plastic panel it fixes, if you are interested. The yellow wire could be open instead but that would create the opposite problem (down/right instead of up/left). It is just as likely to be a bad connection inside the connector or cable and that you could not fix yourself. I would send it back with this explanation. Good luck.
By the way, the fact that it happened while the drone was already in flight probably means it was not a problem at launch time, again pointing to an intermittent connection.

With white wire cut:

white wire cut on left stick.png
2020-10-13
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-13 13:35
I can't believe a Super Moderator asked about the GPS, as if bad GPS data would affect the left controller stick capability ONLY. Come on.

I just disassembled one of my remotes (the one with no insurance), traced the circuitry, and it looks like the white wire is open at the left stick control cable to the connector on the main board. Since the white wire is at the end of the 4-pin connector, it may be that the connector is cocked to one side and is making contact only at times. In the business, this is called an "intermittent" and may be ok when the tech tests it but not ok when you use it. It is possible to view the connector by removing just one small screw and the small plastic panel it fixes, if you are interested. The yellow wire could be open instead but that would create the opposite problem (down/right instead of up/left). It is just as likely to be a bad connection inside the connector or cable and that you could not fix yourself. I would send it back with this explanation. Good luck.

I have seen where oxidation on plug pins can cause intermittent.  Not knowing the condition of where it is stored when not in use. I’m not saying this is the cause.
Storing in basement, back porch or car trunk all with possible humidity or temperatures change.
I keep mine in house where it stays worm.
Electronics doesn’t like temperature changes of moisture.
Doug
2020-10-13
Use props
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 10-13 13:35
I can't believe a Super Moderator asked about the GPS, as if bad GPS data would affect the left controller stick capability ONLY. Come on.

I just disassembled one of my remotes (the one with no insurance), traced the circuitry, and it looks like the white wire is open at the left stick control cable to the connector on the main board. Since the white wire is at the end of the 4-pin connector, it may be that the connector is cocked to one side and is making contact only at times. In the business, this is called an "intermittent" and may be ok when the tech tests it but not ok when you use it. It is possible to view the connector by removing just one small screw and the small plastic panel it fixes, if you are interested. The yellow wire could be open instead but that would create the opposite problem (down/right instead of up/left). It is just as likely to be a bad connection inside the connector or cable and that you could not fix yourself. I would send it back with this explanation. Good luck.
[Image]

Thanks Gary, I did try to explain that the issue is intermittent. The engineers said they tested and was fine, I recorded video clearly showing I don’t have input and have now told them I want to send it again, they are escalating it. But yes I think they don’t have a clue at DJI, I really hope this time they can see that it is an issue.

Thanks for explanation that is really helpful.
2020-10-13
Use props
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Donut Posted at 10-13 22:30
I have seen where oxidation on plug pins can cause intermittent.  Not knowing the condition of where it is stored when not in use. I’m not saying this is the cause.
Storing in basement, back porch or car trunk all with possible humidity or temperatures change.
I keep mine in house where it stays worm.

I keep it in the case and in the house. You would think a bit of kit that costs hundreds of pounds would be ok with a change of scenery.
2020-10-13
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

I would think the Potentiometer might be bad/ dirty. Older potentiometers sometimes start to work better by moving them around (working them).
It could have a bad wiper that is not full; missing sections which could cause intermittent operation.
I would think most likely replacing that potentiometer or the controller itself would be the only fixes.
2020-10-14
Use props
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 10-14 08:00
I would think the Potentiometer might be bad/ dirty. Older potentiometers sometimes start to work better by moving them around (working them).
It could have a bad wiper that is not full; missing sections which could cause intermittent operation.
I would think most likely replacing that potentiometer or the controller itself would be the only fixes.

Well if it is I am hoping that they will replace it, the drone is just over a month old and I have only flown it a handful of times with no issue. Most the time I now have issues. DJI best be sorting it
2020-10-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

videoeditman Posted at 10-14 08:00

Almost certainly not. This fault affects TWO of the directions on the left stick (up/down and left/right. There are separate pots for each direction (2). The things in common with both pots are the ground/white and VCC/yellow wires.

Left-stick mini.jpg
2020-10-14
Use props
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 10-14 13:02
Almost certainly not. This fault affects TWO of the directions on the left stick (up/down and left/right. There are separate pots for each direction (2). The things in common with both pots are the ground/white and VCC/yellow wires.[Image]

I have sent it off again today. Hopefully the engineers at DJI can see that there is an issue this time. I will be pretty frustrated if they again deny there is a problem with it.  
2020-10-19
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-14 13:02
Almost certainly not. This fault affects TWO of the directions on the left stick (up/down and left/right. There are separate pots for each direction (2). The things in common with both pots are the ground/white and VCC/yellow wires.

Missed that it was also going up also. So the VCC voltage regulation maybe out of tolerance; slightly low which could effectively change the center point of the wipers. Either way the controller is not functioning correctly so they should repair the part or replace the controller.
2020-10-19
Use props
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 10-19 08:22
Missed that it was also going up also. So the VCC voltage regulation maybe out of tolerance; slightly low which could effectively change the center point of the wipers. Either way the controller is not functioning correctly so they should repair the part or replace the controller.

I hope they do. Thanks again, il keep you posted on what they say.
2020-10-19
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

videoeditman Posted at 10-19 08:22

Again, no. The same voltage is used for everything including the other stick's pots. I have reproduced the problem by opening the white wire (ground) at the left stick's cable. Same left and up bias and same error message.
2020-10-19
Use props
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 10-19 14:23
Again, no. The same voltage is used for everything including the other stick's pots. I have reproduced the problem by opening the white wire (ground) at the left stick's cable. Same left and up bias and same error message.

I sent it off and it is on the way to DJI, I am really hoping they can see that there is an issue. Last time they said calibrating it fixed it and they didn’t see any issues with it. To me it’s clear there is a problem.

It seems that you know what you are talking about and thank you for re-creating the issue. If they tell me there is no issue I will show them screenshot of this or something.  Really hope the so called experts do this time notice that there is indeed an issue.
2020-10-20
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-19 14:23

Where did you get schematics for the Mavic Mini?  I missed the part where you took your controller apart So yes I agree a cold solder, loose terminal pin or such would sound like the likely culprit. Thanks for going to that length to assist!
2020-10-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

videoeditman Posted at 10-20 12:59
Where did you get schematics for the Mavic Mini?  I missed the part where you took your controller apart  So yes I agree a cold solder, loose terminal pin or such would sound like the likely culprit. Thanks for going to that length to assist!

I made the schematic after tracing the circuit. I used to do that kind of thing as a small part of my career in the early days and I guess I still do ;-)
2020-10-20
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

If you can contact DJI about this while they still have it, try to include the troubleshooting information that GaryDoug provided and let them know it is intermittent. This will help the service department hone in on the issue and should provide a positive outcome!
2020-10-22
Use props
djiuser_hrFSuMSRMHKz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have just received and email from DJI confirming an issue with left stick and it will be repaired. Thank you so much for your help guys. Really appreciate it.
2020-10-23
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

Glad to hear that, hope you get it back soon and that everything continues to work!
2020-10-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the follow-up.
2020-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now