Camera works well but no video recording
595 1 2020-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RockQueen
lvl.1
United States

Seeking expert insight - The ENTIRE story of my Mavic Pro

Mavic Pro bought "NEW" from Best Buy. Had intermittent issues with controlling the camera gimbal. It would not be controllable from the remote and the camera would never be pointing out to take pictures. It slammed itself against its mechanical limits. Rebooting the craft would sometimes fix this. Craft was NEVER crashed by me. I have no knowledge of what may have happened to the craft before I bought it at Best Buy. I did not seek warranty replacement at the time. Life got in the way. Years later. I am using the Mavic Pro again. I note that the video recording did work. I could readily switch between still and video mode. I chose to buy a replacement camera gimbal assembly off eBay. I personally replaced the camera myself. Mind you I have over 40 plus years of electronics/engineering experience and felt comfortable fixing the Mavic Pro. Its what I do. After repacement of the gimbal and camera I am able to have reliable control of the camera from the remote and take still pictures. The craft has the latest firmware loaded. Craft flies well. Camera and gimbal control works welll except for the following issues:

1) I am unable to switch into video record. I have tried numerous SD card. Reformatted them as suggested. I use Sandisk Exterme Plus U3 cards. Have tried various sizes cards, 16GB, 32GB and 64GB. I always formatted the cards using the remote and NOT on a computer as suggested by many. The "no video record" issue continues. I am able to save pictures normally to the SD Card locaed in the craft.

2) On the IPHONE, the camera menu is visible and I am able to do a gimbal AUTO Calibration. The camera gimbal does a series of up and down, left and right actions. I never get a calibration COMPLETE popup though. Is this normally what happens when the AUTO GIMBAL CALIBRATION completes ?

See attached picture

3) On my Samsung Android phone, the camera menu ICON is absent. Odd.

See attached picture

Both apps are current and functional to fly the craft and take still pics. I have attached an Aircraft Status screen capture. In order to capture the full status, I cut and pasted the captures but all indicates no issues. All systems normal

Would appreciate some insight here. Thank you

Samsung Droid

Samsung Droid

iPhone

iPhone

IPhone

IPhone
2020-10-13
Use props
Dean
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hi rock -
when u replaced the camera gimbal assembly did you replace the  gimbal ribbon and the PTZ cable?

After nearly 5000km flight with my mavic pro it has been the only parts i needed to replace that were not user error related.

at the start of this year my drone became unusable due to gimbal issues - i recently replaced the gimbal ribbon and the gimbal worked perfectly again.
But then my camera was not working - so next i replaced the ptz cable and immediately my problems were resolved.

The gimbal ribbon controls the gimbal movements
the PTZ cable connects the camera.

I am suggesting that if you have not replaced the ptz cable that this could be the problem on yr drone.

If you did replace the ptz cable then i suggest you inspect the instalation to ensure that those fine wires are not pinched by any of the gimbal assemble cover plates.

Check especially the last cover plate where the wires leave the assembly and enter the drone - that last cover plate is the area where pinching can easily happen.

TIP:
when replacing ptz cable ensure that cover plates do not or have not pinched the thin wires
2020-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules