MagSafe Iphone 12 max
49248 76 2020-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
L44YEK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Isn’t everyone missing the point here? The magnets in MagSafe are a red herring here- the real issue will be will the 12 pro max sensor stabilisation be compatible with the OM4???

DJI Please shine some light on the matter!
2020-10-31
Use props
AlexxPetroff
New

Bulgaria

I got iPhone 12 pro , the clip stand don't grip it that well especially with any kind of a case ... so disappointing that i should use it at my own risk without a case on a gimble hope DJI fix it somehow
2020-11-1
Use props
djiuser_bPyQHm0buibt
lvl.1

United States

L44YEK Posted at 10-31 15:50
Isn’t everyone missing the point here? The magnets in MagSafe are a red herring here- the real issue will be will the 12 pro max sensor stabilisation be compatible with the OM4???

DJI Please shine some light on the matter!

excellent question. with the sensor-shift image stabilization on the wide lens... i wonder if we'll see the same jittering issues the Osmo Mobile has with the iPhone's always-on Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) on previous camera systems.
2020-11-1
Use props
fans2d9e6dd2
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Gorko Posted at 10-13 11:37
I'm wondering 'about the same thing. Mine OM4 is brand new, not updating and etc., and I'm contemplating the 12 Pro Max.

I got the pro max today. Trust me the clamp fits even with the Apple clear case. No problem and it’s secure. Problem I have is that the OM4 will not Bluetooth connect with the Mimo app. The app needs a major update and quick!
2020-11-13
Use props
fans2d9e6dd2
lvl.1

United Kingdom

djiuser_bPyQHm0buibt Posted at 10-26 17:29
I love the idea of the OM 4 with an iPhone 12 Pro Max (which I plan to buy). But I'm waiting for DJI to get its hardware and software updated... unless a competitor releases a better iphone 12 pro/gimbal solution.

I bought the OM4 specifically for my iPhone 12 pro max purchase. The clamp is fine with the official Apple clear case. It holds fine. The problem is that the OM4 will NOT connect to the Mimo app via Bluetooth.
2020-11-13
Use props
virlmonkey
lvl.1

United States

Confirming message above, iphone 12 PRO Max works fine with the clip even with the Apple case on. Will wait for DJI's MIMO firmware update to make it compatible.  Question is will those magnets disrupt or create in any damage in the long run on the iphone 12 PRO MAX? Hope DJI responds promptly for us new iphone 12 users.
2020-11-13
Use props
pro100bear
lvl.1
United States

Why would they create any damage?
2020-11-14
Use props
Michiel Boerjan
New

Belgium

Isn't the weight of the Iphone 12 pro max also an issue ? just asking cause I am also thinking of getting an OM4 but saw the specifications about how much weight it can support and my 12 pro Max is to heavy I think
2020-11-15
Use props
virlmonkey
lvl.1

United States

pro100bear Posted at 11-14 06:09
Why would they create any damage?

Just wondering since the iphone 12 pro max has a mag safe magnet, then right behind it are 2 magnets again (DJI Magnet clip and the magnet to the gimbal)...If that would cause any issue to the phone?
2020-11-15
Use props
42deluxe
lvl.2
Germany

That‘s no problem. There‘s a magnet for the correct orientation.

Apple has very(!) detailed guidelines.
https://developer.apple.com/accessories/Accessory-Design-Guidelines.pdf#page82

I cannot understand why DJI has no statement regarding the magsafe/iPhone 12 support. As a product designer it happens so suddenly that Apple reveals a new iPhone. And it happens so suddenly that movie makers and hobby artists want to use this new gadget. What‘s your problem DJI? The dog ate my homework?

Perhaps a iPhone 12 mount has the same fate as the underwater housing for the Osmo Action. Announced for „We don‘t know“, released someday months later when the most diving seasons here in Europe were over.

I would not bet on DJI getting this done in the next 3 or 4 months.
2020-11-15
Use props
42deluxe
lvl.2
Germany

scubatopy Posted at 10-27 00:28
Same viewpoint here.
I wrote to customer support, particularly referring to the compatibility issue with iPhone 12 Pro Max:
- on magnetic interlock

Perhaps someone should tell them about Apples Developer Site

https://developer.apple.com/accessories/Accessory-Design-Guidelines.pdf#page82

„We collect suggestions..“

Really?
2020-11-15
Use props
fans8e04a829
lvl.1
United States

I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max and the leather MagSafe case, total weight is 0.57 pounds or 258.55 grams—way over the DJI OM4 load limit of 230 +/- 60 grams, or a maximum of 290 grams.  
I have to remove the phone from the case each time I want to use the DJI OM4, not very convenient.
I don't have a problem using the magnetic clamp on the iPhone 12 Pro Max, I think it grips the same as with the 11 Pro Max.

The DJI Mimo app is not fully compatible though.  I was able to take some panoramic shots and use the gimbal, but the Version Info and the Device SN both showed up as N/A.

DJI Mimo Info Screen with the iPhone 12 Pro Max

DJI Mimo Info Screen with the iPhone 12 Pro Max
2020-11-16
Use props
virlmonkey
lvl.1

United States

Update: Just downloaded firmware update V1.5.2 (153477) and object tracking works on iphone 12 PRO MAX.
So far simple video shots such tracking a static object and orbiting around it works.
Tried object tracking a moving subject where gimbal is just panning and not moving with subject (someone walking) , there is a bit of a struggle. But overall for the current videos my wife plans to do for her garden videos, it does the job.
2020-11-18
Use props
djiuser_qvLdKvfOArxN
lvl.1

United Kingdom

virlmonkey Posted at 11-18 12:16
Update: Just downloaded firmware update V1.5.2 (153477) and object tracking works on iphone 12 PRO MAX.
So far simple video shots such tracking a static object and orbiting around it works.
Tried object tracking a moving subject where gimbal is just panning and not moving with subject (someone walking) , there is a bit of a struggle. But overall for the current videos my wife plans to do for her garden videos, it does the job.

What firmware are you referring to? I just updated my OM4 and it is saying the firmware is version 1.00.7 so we are miles apart! Are you talking about the OM3?
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D761%26typeid%3D761
2020-11-19
Use props
Psajunk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1858363 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can confirm the OM4 works with the 12 Pro Max.

I have a ruggedized phone case which is too wide for the spring clamp, and the ring mount will NOT work if attached to the phone case as it allows for too much movement between the phone and case.

I cut a circular area out of the rear of the case to mount the ring, and all works well
EDIT: You must use the supplied clear circle sticker before mounting the ring to the back of the phone. It's also best to wait 8-12 hours before attaching the phone to the OM4 in order to allow the adhesive to set-up.

SOLVED: UNTIL you try and remove the phone from the OM4. I've tried multiple adhesive tapes, and none adhere well enough to the phone to prevent the OM4 magnet from pulling the ring off the back of the phone.

I thought 3M VHB used for GoPro mounts would work, but even it was pulled off as soon as the OM4 magnet attached.

Looking into two part epoxy next to attach the DJI ring.

2020-11-19
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

2020-11-21
Use props
Wartank
lvl.1

Canada

Does anyone know which kind of features currently work in the mimo app, such as time lapse?
2020-11-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great, thanks for sharing
2020-11-21
Use props
djiuser_h1deXDfwJho3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So just to get this straight. The best DJI mobile gimbal to date will not work with the best iPhone to date? I have ordered my 12 pro max, and was all ready to order the OM4, I have a Mavic Air 2 and given how impressed I am with that, it made sense to choose a DJI product when looking for a mobile gimbal. So assuming it will be some time before DJI address this oversight of theirs, and that I’m not going to change my phone to suit the OM4, can anyone recommend a good mobile gimbal that WILL work with the 12 pro max?
2020-11-24
Use props
djiuser_h1deXDfwJho3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So just to get this straight. The best DJI mobile gimbal to date will not work with the best iPhone to date? I have ordered my 12 pro max, and was all ready to order the OM4, I have a Mavic Air 2 and given how impressed I am with that, it made sense to choose a DJI product when looking for a mobile gimbal. So assuming it will be some time before DJI address this oversight of theirs, and that I’m not going to change my phone to suit the OM4, can anyone recommend a good mobile gimbal that WILL work with the 12 pro max?
2020-11-24
Use props
djiuser_h1deXDfwJho3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I’m wondering if this is a realistic solution? Anyone tried them?
2020-11-25
Use props
GAME OUT
New

Qatar

Iphone 12 pro and dji om4 combination is best
2020-11-27
Use props
djiuser_rauKi2MkCYaW
lvl.1

United States

42deluxe Posted at 11-15 18:29
That‘s no problem. There‘s a magnet for the correct orientation.

Apple has very(!) detailed guidelines.

Just about when the OM 5 comes out
2020-12-10
Use props
djiuser_LPkOmt07zXwT
New

Germany

I have a iP 12 Pro and the clamp is holding ok. MagSafe isnt the problem. But the not longer rounded edges are.

A bigger problem for me: the software doesnt film with 4k60 HDR. Any chances for getting this?
2020-12-20
Use props
42deluxe
lvl.2
Germany

djiuser_h1deXDfwJho3 Posted at 11-24 06:56

The Zhiyun Smooth Q2 takes a payload up to 260g and should work well.
2020-12-25
Use props
gracie
New

United States

Is there an Update? I have the iPhone 12 pro max and want to get this amazing gimbal... what are my options?
2021-1-7
Use props
Ratzlaff
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

There is a way for your iPhone 12 to work with the OM4 via MagSafe! Here's a video explaining how.
2021-1-19
Use props
Ratzlaff
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Interpol Posted at 2020-10-28 08:06
The problem I see with mounting the iPhone 12 to the OM4 using Magsafe alone is that there is no way to make sure the phone is oriented correctly when it is mounted.  There is a reason why there's a notch on the magnetic clamp - it's not as simple as just slapping the phone on the OM4 and you're good to go.

You're correct. There is a way to easily make sure your phone is aligned properly though. Just rotate the motor that attaches to the phone clockwise until it stops. Then mount your phone vertically. You can check your level by making sure the top of the gimbal is horizontal to the top of your phone. I actually created a MagSafe adapter and use it daily without any issues!
2021-1-19
Use props
LJinATL
lvl.2
United States

Ratzlaff Posted at 1-19 17:32
You're correct. There is a way to easily make sure your phone is aligned properly though. Just rotate the motor that attaches to the phone clockwise until it stops. Then mount your phone vertically. You can check your level by making sure the top of the gimbal is horizontal to the top of your phone. I actually created a MagSafe adapter and use it daily without any issues!

Thanks for sharing this.

I haven't paid too much attention to magsafe, even though I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max.  I didn't want to replace my wireless charging pucks with magsafe versions yet, so I've just kind of ignored magsafe until 3rd party accessories are available.

The amazon seller mentions in one of the replies to a question that you will need a magsafe case.  I assume that's because other cases might be too thick and therefore reduce the magnetic strength?  If so, a naked phone should work just fine, correct?  Worst case, my current case is too thick and I have to buy an Apple magsafe case to improve the magnetic attraction?

Thanks.
2021-1-20
Use props
Bodycalming
lvl.1

United Kingdom

L44YEK Posted at 2020-10-31 15:50

DJI Please shine some light on the matter!

From day one of iPhone 12 Max release I have been asking DJI 'Support'.  Is the DJI OM4 compatible with the iPhone 12 pro max?

Yes, I have had many very polite replies from DJI 'Support', to do a 'survey/feedback' but nothing, thus far to answer my £1200 question of, "Is the DJI OM4 compatible with the iPhone 12 pro max".

Make no mistake, at this time in the market, I do believe the OM4 is the best for the job and at the price but please DJI 'Support' please tell me!
2021-1-21
Use props
Dr.Tek
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_h1deXDfwJho3 Posted at 2020-11-24 06:56

Perhaps you should rethink purchasing DJI items in the future. They have known about this issue since OM2. OM3 came and went. No love for big phone users. Then OM4. No change. They just do not give 2 ...s about larger phone users. I had it, tried in on my 11 pro max. Sent it back. I’m done with DJI.
2021-2-24
Use props
TomBe11
New

United Kingdom

I got bored waiting for DJI to bring out a fix for this, so I designed a MagSafe adapter. Its available to buy on etsy 'DJI OM4 MagSafe Adapter''
2021-2-28
Use props
Beatdemon
lvl.1
United States

RE: MagSafe, I have tried a solution that was listed in the YouTube video above, but it does not work well on the iPhone 12 Pro Max, likely because of its weight.

It is imperative that the magnetic cutouts line up so the phone can properly align vertical and horizontal. I have done many tests with DIY MagSafe hacks and there is nothing that works well for the Pro Max.

That said, if DJI tried to create a MagSafe mount it would be tricky to line up because the magnet attached to the back of your phone can turn freely, which completely throws off the alignment. The included mount works best, and if you have a thin case for your phone there are zero mounting issues. Those who have opted for the thicker cases are going to be out of luck without removing the case.

I highly recommend the Spigen thin cases. Been buying this brand for years. This is the one I got and it works perfectly with the OM4: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CS48SRQ
2021-3-3
Use props
fans8bbf66db
New
Japan

Works fine with the 12 Max, using the magnet extendable clamp.
2021-3-14
Use props
vpatrice50
New
United States

I puchased the OM 4 specifically to use with the MagSafe disc adapter sold on amazon.com with my iPhone 12 Pro. I put a small mark at the top of the magnet so I would easily know where the top was in relation to the phone. It works perfectly with a very strong hold.

It's such a pleasure to use the MagSafe capability with anything you are attaching your phone to. I use it in my car with a ESR MagSafe mount and I've ordererd Moment's new MagSafe tripod mount. This capability is one of my favorite features of my new iPhone.
2021-3-18
Use props
DRlib
lvl.1

United States

vpatrice50 Posted at 3-18 01:49
I puchased the OM 4 specifically to use with the MagSafe disc adapter sold on amazon.com with my iPhone 12 Pro. I put a small mark at the top of the magnet so I would easily know where the top was in relation to the phone. It works perfectly with a very strong hold.

It's such a pleasure to use the MagSafe capability with anything you are attaching your phone to. I use it in my car with a ESR MagSafe mount and I've ordererd Moment's new MagSafe tripod mount. This capability is one of my favorite features of my new iPhone.

Do you have link to it ? On Amazon
2021-3-18
Use props
vpatrice50
New
United States

DRlib Posted at 3-18 04:05
Do you have link to it ? On Amazon

Yes, you can find it here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QZFTWYR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AF24J47XDV6ZJ&psc=1

The MagSafe disc comes in either silver or black. I bought the silver one because it matches the OM 4. It looks and works like a charm. DJI should have thought of including this simple adapter.

2021-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules