Osmo pocket video trembles badly after increased speed
643 5 2020-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cantalibre
New

United Kingdom

Why does my pocket footage tremble when it's sped up?  It doesn't happen with video that I've shot on my camera.

I've tried lots of things to stop it happening, and none of them have been successful.  Here's what I've tried:

• Changing fps higher and lower
  • Changing from 4k to 2k to HD
  • Using a different memory card
  • Using different video editing software - I've used Premier Pro and Power Director
  • Using Auto and manual settings for ISO, shutter speed, etc
  • I tried outputting in different formats

Here's a video to demonstrate the problem.  It was filmed inside (so there's no wind) at 4k 60fps and then the speed was increased.  

https://youtu.be/qNS3lmEkl0k

2020-10-16
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

[media=x,970,580] [/media]

Yes, doesn't look good. Did you recalibrate the gimbal head?

Ray.

2020-10-16
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

That is normal because  Osmo Pocket  does not have a gimbal lock option. Even micro vibrations (like the ones caused by the wind) trigger miniscule gimbal compensations. At normal speed the motion of the camera is very subtle and soft so you don't notice it. But when you speed the video up it shows....
2020-10-16
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Try using timelapse mode instead because timelapse mode is set more optimal to maintain the static position.

Pocket’s tiny gimbal is always adjusting itself and it often react to the ground vibration of people walking around.

Timelapse re-adjust its location before triggering each shot and adjusting twitches less visible.
2020-10-16
Use props
Cantalibre
New

United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 10-16 08:37
https://youtu.be/qNS3lmEkl0k

Yes, doesn't look good. Did you recalibrate the gimbal head?

Recalibrating has definitely helped.  There's still a little movement but it's better.

Thanks for helping.
2020-10-16
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Cantalibre Posted at 10-16 22:53
Recalibrating has definitely helped.  There's still a little movement but it's better.

Thanks for helping.

No problem.
I'm not sure if I can agree with the others here that is normal behavior or not.
I do agree the Osmo Pocket will amplify any vibration around it and it transfers across to the video but I've always had my Osmo Pocket set on a a firm, dense surface for this type of shot (like concrete or rock) or on a very heavy duty and vibration free tripod which sort of negates the Pocket's portability.

When I did my double take videos, any movement of the Osmo Pocket would have shown up where the background blended together and it didn't. But then gain, I was on a concrete floor using my heavy duty tripod.
I also know sometimes that using time-lapse leaves gaps you don't want between frames so is not an ideal solution for some types of shots. Then again even a heavy duty tripod does not help if the ground it is on picks and transmits the movement through its legs.

I know when using a different camera that leaving any stabilisation on (lens or body) makes the frame jump around and has to be turned off for that type of shot   Gimbals on the other hand should only respond to counteract movement but are hyper sensitive to vibration as well as movement in the conventional sense.

If you were on a wooden floor or using a wooden or glass bit of furniture to support the Osmo Pocket , that could also be part of the problem.

Ray.  
2020-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules