Is the Ronin-S supposed to work fine with a mic on top of the cam?
2800 1 2020-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael Perfect
lvl.2
France

Bonjour,

I've been having abnormal vibrations especially on the tilt motor lately since I've attached the Rode VideoMic on my Lumix GH4.
Of course yes all balance tests come back excellent and I autotuned.
I've seen so many rigs with a mic on the camera that I thought this would be no problem for the Ronin-S. My total package weighs 1.2kg.

I noticed that the red part of the mic, its suspension, tends to shake/vibrate when the gimbal is moved or the wind gets stronger. It's supposed to isolate the mic from handling sounds. I wonder if it's possible that when the mic starts jiggling, the motors and the mic-holder enter a kind of infernal loop where the motors try to stabilize the shock mount, making them vibrate more, requiring the motors to stabilize more etc... But I'm not sure if that's what's happening, just a theory.

Anyway, I am interested in any advice on how to use this mic with this gimbal, should it be fine on top of the camera or do I have to get an extension arm for the gimbal and put the mic on it, but if so then how do you have it cabled without creating another mayhem ?
Thanks in advance for your inputs !
2020-10-16
Use props
fansc08a1af2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4658087 ft
United States

Yeah this is a wild issue for me that I just started experiencing today, but it seems to only happen when I have the gimbal set down on the tripod on the ground. The problem for me seems to be the same it escalates very quickly in the gimbal seemingly trying to stabilize the shock mount on my road video mic. As soon as I took the microphone off it stopped doing the bouncing. It doesn't seem like I have an issue while actually operating it handheld. It might be something they fixed in the newer ronin's
2021-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules