Was about to get the Zhiyun Weebill S but now...
2334 21 2020-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can stick by DJI if they get more pro combos ready to ship soon enough.

Update: Went ahead and ordered the RS2 Pro Combo instead of waiting for the RSC2 Pro Combo. Compatible with the Canon R5 too so that's a plus.

2020-10-16
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Many congrats!
2020-10-17
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The RSC should be better than Zhiyun but because those w/ a higher production budget for equipment, there is no way to look and consider the RSC 2 when you can get the RS2.  The built-in autonomous features could be super worth it.  I have trouble trying to keep things smooth w/ manual control so to get super smooth shots by programming it internally would be awesome.  Couple those features w/ a slider and it could make for some excellent footage.
2020-10-17
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-17 02:41
The RSC should be better than Zhiyun but because those w/ a higher production budget for equipment, there is no way to look and consider the RSC 2 when you can get the RS2.  The built-in autonomous features could be super worth it.  I have trouble trying to keep things smooth w/ manual control so to get super smooth shots by programming it internally would be awesome.  Couple those features w/ a slider and it could make for some excellent footage.

Agreed. I only considered Zhiyun because DJI had not yet delivered the features I wanted. Same reason I own a Skydio 2, though I have also purchased 7 DJI drones.
2020-10-17
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 10-17 02:20
Many congrats!

Thank you, AJ.
2020-10-17
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2020-10-17
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-17 03:46
Agreed. I only considered Zhiyun because DJI had not yet delivered the features I wanted. Same reason I own a Skydio 2, though I have also purchased 7 DJI drones.
I had the Skydio 2 but didn't need to use it much so I sold it along with selling the Inspire 1 Pro with FLIR XT.

Hopefully the 3D Focus can do wonders and have no focus breathing which would be a massive plus with touch AF on the Raven.
2020-10-17
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-17 08:31
I had the Skydio 2 but didn't need to use it much so I sold it along with selling the Inspire 1 Pro with FLIR XT.

Hopefully the 3D Focus can do wonders and have no focus breathing which would be a massive plus with touch AF on the Raven.

I use mine almost weekly with the beacon. Hoping DJI has a beacon type device with an upcoming drone.
2020-10-17
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-17 17:31
I use mine almost weekly with the beacon. Hoping DJI has a beacon type device with an upcoming drone.

what do you film when you use it?
2020-10-18
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-18 02:48
what do you film when you use it?

Mainly longboarding like these first few attempts with it:

https://youtu.be/4x2z3ikQyOM

https://youtu.be/69QgudpSoWc

https://youtu.be/wClgt874znU

Having full autonomy allows me to focus on other things. Skydio 2's predictive software is far from perfect but it's pretty good for a second generation drone.
2020-10-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-18 03:17
Mainly longboarding like these first few attempts with it:

Did you shoot double the shutter speed?

What song was on Dynasty Run 1?
2020-10-18
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-18 12:35
Did you shoot double the shutter speed?

What song was on Dynasty Run 1?
No. I don't have ND filters yet so to control exposure I set shutter to auto on the Skydio 2. Had I not (and had I set shutter speed only to double the frame rate) all the footage would have been terribly overexposed. For all those videos the Skydio 2 controlled everything except it's primary position compared to the subject being tracked. The riders selected the drone's starting position and the drone did everything else.

I'm not sure about the song title. I pulled it from YouTube's license-free audio library though.
2020-10-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-18 12:41
No. I don't have ND filters yet so to control exposure I set shutter to auto on the Skydio 2. Had I not (and had I set shutter speed only to double the frame rate) all the footage would have been terribly overexposed. For all those videos the Skydio 2 controlled everything except it's primary position compared to the subject being tracked. The riders selected the drone's starting position and the drone did everything else.

I'm not sure about the song title. I pulled it from YouTube's license-free audio library though.

yeah, 24/30fps w/o double the shutter is going to look bad which is why you need to do 60
2020-10-18
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-18 12:45
yeah, 24/30fps w/o double the shutter is going to look bad which is why you need to do 60
We'll, I usually use the 180° rule for the look I like but what looks good or bad is a matter of opinion. Just like how people love their "professional looking"  videos shot on smart phones with the pre-installed camera apps. Those are always in full-auto (no 180° rule) and the vast majority of end-users think they look great. Not saying I agree. Just saying what is "good" is based on personal tastes. The Skydio footage in could look much better but almost none of my target audience cares.

And I hate the look of 60fps footage unless it's used for slo-mo.
2020-10-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-18 12:56
We'll, I usually use the 180° rule for the look I like but what looks good or bad is a matter of opinion. Just like how people love their "professional looking"  videos shot on smart phones with the pre-installed camera apps. Those are always in full-auto (no 180° rule) and the vast majority of end-users think they look great. Not saying I agree. Just saying what is "good" is based on personal tastes. The Skydio footage in could look much better but almost none of my target audience cares.

And I hate the look of 60fps footage unless it's used for slo-mo.

I shoot high shutter if I'm doing it for someone that needs it for inspection work so they can pause the vid and see a still shot.

If you do double the shutter speed for the proper human vision blur at 24 or 30 fps it would be better.  It's a rule for a reason.

24fps w/o the blur is going to look like gaming at 24 fps.  I wonder how come they don't double the shutter when we game unless we enable in-game motion blur but that is fixed and cannot be changed for some reason.
2020-10-18
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-18 13:05
I shoot high shutter if I'm doing it for someone that needs it for inspection work so they can pause the vid and see a still shot.

If you do double the shutter speed for the proper human vision blur at 24 or 30 fps it would be better.  It's a rule for a reason.

Absolutely there are situations to shoot at a higher shutter speed. I occasionally need to do so too.
2020-10-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-18 13:09
Absolutely there are situations to shoot at a higher shutter speed. I occasionally need to do so too.

At first I thought my computer was lagging, then I thought your render was broken, then I realized your shutter speed was probably too high.
2020-10-18
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-18 13:47
At first I thought my computer was lagging, then I thought your render was broken, then I realized your shutter speed was probably too high.

I still wouldn't say it was "too high". That's still a matter of opinion. It got the shot with what equipment we had on site. Again, without an ND filter (or the ability to adjust aperture or exposure compensation much) the only option was a faster shutter speed. Of course anytime a film/video breaks cinematic norms there will be that group of people who say it wasn't shot properly. I must admit I am sometimes part of that group.
2020-10-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-18 13:53
I still wouldn't say it was "too high". That's still a matter of opinion. It got the shot with what equipment we had on site. Again, without an ND filter (or the ability to adjust aperture or exposure compensation much) the only option was a faster shutter speed. Of course anytime a film/video breaks cinematic norms there will be that group of people who say it wasn't shot properly. I must admit I am sometimes part of that group.

I just think saying it's an "opinion" is just trying to say it's a style when it's really not.  No use of ND means no excuse.  Should've shot at 60 fps then.  Maybe do it again at 60 fps?
2020-10-18
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-18 16:34
I just think saying it's an "opinion" is just trying to say it's a style when it's really not.  No use of ND means no excuse.  Should've shot at 60 fps then.  Maybe do it again at 60 fps?
Man, you can say and feel whatever you want but that won't make it a fact or the only "right" way. You can argue the point all you want, but argue it with yourself. It's still going to be just an opinion.

Not having an ND filter was the reason for why we shot the way we did, not an excuse. If the audience can see what we intended to capture (which it can) then it doesn't matter what you think is wrong or right. Your opinion doesn't matter.

Just to be clear, had we shot at 60fps and a shutter speed of 1/120 (or 1/125) the footage would have still been greatly overexposed, due to the fact we had no ND filter. That's a technical fact your suggestion of shooting at 60 would not have resolved.
2020-10-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-18 16:42
Man, you can say and feel whatever you want but that won't make it a fact or the only "right" way. You can argue the point all you want, but argue it with yourself. It's still going to be just an opinion.

Not having an ND filter was the reason for why we shot the way we did, not an excuse. If the audience can see what we intended to capture (which it can) then it doesn't matter what you think is wrong or right. Your opinion doesn't matter.

Shooting at 4k60 like this would've made for some epic footage.
2020-10-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Moni Johnson. Thank you for reaching out and for ordering the DJI RS 2 Pro Combo. For the latest updates on the DJI RS 2 and with the DJI RSC 2, please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support and keep on filming.
2020-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules