Battery life
1096 18 2020-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Altech
Second Officer
Flight distance : 808091 ft
Australia

Hi Guys, I had the drone 3 weeks now and before I packed it way in it's bag, I changed all the batterys as it a MA2 Combo drone. Now I just taken out the drone now to give it a fly and found all the battery indicator on the battery is showing 2 lights and the thrid one flashing.  My ? is why is the battery life being used while not in use.   Don't remember my Maric Pro batterys ever being so low in such a short time (2 weeks)  regards Alex
2020-10-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

The batteries automatically discharge partially after a few days. That is done to prolong their life. Two and a half lights is normal. It is described on page 25 of the V1.2 user manual.
2020-10-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Yup they will auto discharge if not being used for a few days, this is done to ensure your batteries last longer and to avoid swelling.
2020-10-16
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

100% to 96% after 24 hours. 96% to 60% after four further days. Takes two days to reach 60% so if you store your batteries at 100% and leave them for a solid week they will be at 60% when you take them back out. Always aim to fly the drone within 24 hours of fully charging the batteries or charge them to 50% (third LED starts blinking) if not intending to fly again for a while. This is to maintain healthy cells and stop the batteries from swelling and needing to be binned.
2020-10-16
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I think that is the most asked question here in the forum .....      
2020-10-17
Use props
Ruzhye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

As mentioned above, it's normal.  Make sure you are charging the batteries the night before you need them for maximum run time.
2020-10-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Automatic discharge to prevent swelling has been a feature of intelligent flight batteries in all DJI products I have owned over the last four years. It's detailed in the manuals.  Discharge periods vary but generally take the residual charge down to 50 or 60 percent.
2020-10-17
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

And P L E A S E do NOT start a flight on a partially charged battery!!  DON'T DO IT......

Randy
2020-10-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Altech. Thank  you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us.  The DJI Mavic Air 2 has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For additional reference I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. Thank you.

2020-10-18
Use props
Altech
Second Officer
Flight distance : 808091 ft
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-18 20:23
Hello there Altech. Thank  you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us.  The DJI Mavic Air 2 has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For additional reference I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thanks to everyone who replied , the info is good to know regards Alex
2020-10-19
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

wamuBugMe Posted at 10-17 16:44
Why not? I do it all the time when something pops up that I want to photograph. If you forget to plug in an electric car overnight, does that mean you can't drive it the next day until you charge it?

If I had to wait for a battery to charge in order to take an impromptu picture, I'd miss a lot of nice shots.

I agree with you...if you monitor the battery percentage versus using your internal clock you'll be fine.
2020-10-19
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 10-17 16:24
And P L E A S E do NOT start a flight on a partially charged battery!!  DON'T DO IT......

Randy

Great advice!
2020-10-20
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

Why not? I do it all the time when something pops up that I want to photograph. If you forget to plug in an electric car overnight, does that mean you can't drive it the next day until you charge it?

If I had to wait for a battery to charge in order to take an impromptu picture, I'd miss a lot of nice shots.

Because, what if something happens (compass, imu, gps..) and you need the extra juice to get back? Just a good rule of thumb.
2020-10-20
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Scarves UP Posted at 10-20 05:15
Because, what if something happens (compass, imu, gps..) and you need the extra juice to get back? Just a good rule of thumb.

You might always need the extra juice, even with a fully charged battery you flew for 25 minutes and then had the issue.  I like the car analogy...you don't always fill up before driving, even though you might need the extra juice.
2020-10-20
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 10-20 07:59
You might always need the extra juice, even with a fully charged battery you flew for 25 minutes and then had the issue.  I like the car analogy...you don't always fill up before driving, even though you might need the extra juice.

Well, what if yourbatterty only lasted 25 minutes because you didnt fully charge it? Then your toast!
2020-10-20
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 10-19 15:15
I agree with you...if you monitor the battery percentage versus using your internal clock you'll be fine.

The issue here is the Battery Percentage is based on a static voltage value.

The MilliAmps is where you get how full the battery really is......if you start a flight with a battery that was flown 5 days ago to say...80%......then it sat for 4 to 5 days....when you put that battery in the AC it might read a battery % of about 50-60%

HOWEVER,  and feel free to test on your equipment.....put your AC in the air, stay low and close....then TAP the battery % to see the cell voltages.......if the cells are under 3.7 volts then at 60% you are already in trouble..... 3.7 volts / cell is similar to 25 to 30% battery......

As your flight continues and you get THAT battery down to 30%,   check your cell voltages and see they are in the YELLOW and even RED below 3.6 volts per cell.

Please test and report your results based on this...... The P4Pro, and V2 as well as Inspire 1 and Mavic 2 Pro are all the same.......Put in a 50 to 60% battery and the voltages WILL NOT support a 15 to 20 min flight...might not even support a 5 minute flight.

There are so many posts in this DJI forum about "Why did I loose my aircraft?"  and when the flight logs are reviewed,  they started with a battery at 40-50-60% and lost the bird 5 to 10 minutes into flight.
Many don't understan why the AC "just landed"....it's because your 40% reading was incorrect and the bird landed because NotEnoughPower To Fly To HomePoint.

FYI my flight milage is over 4,300,000 ft ( not updated by DJI for some reason )  Over 1060 flights and 300+ hours of flight time.......I have not had a battery issue related to starting a flight with 100%.

Aerial Traffic
Randy
2020-10-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Altech Posted at 10-19 15:05

You're welcome Alex
2020-10-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Which is exactly why I always have at least one of the 3 batteries at full charge. I do rotate them and do realize that this procedure will probably reduce the life by a small amount. It's the price I pay for readiness.
2020-10-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Altech Posted at 10-19 15:05

Hi there Alex. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any other inquiries or concerns  with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Thank you. .
2020-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules