Which cable, wiring, and USB config for RS2 and a7S III?
16906 15 2020-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InterMurph
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I just got my RS2 and am trying to connect it to my Sony a7S III.

I cannot figure out which cable I should use to control the camera.

I cannot figure out which USB connector on the camera I should connect it to.

I cannot figure out what configuration setting I should use for the camera's USB port.

I cannot find any documentation on any of this.

How can I connect this camera to the gimbal?

Thanks.

2020-10-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi InterMurph, thanks for your support to RS2, for Sony A7S3, DJI R Multi-Camera Control Cable (Sony Multi) is required. The details can be checked here: https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility/rs-2/a7s3 Hope it helps.
2020-10-17
Use props
InterMurph
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

That page says "Control Cable (Sony Multi) (in the box)"

Is it in the box?  I bought an RS2 professional kit.  It came with many cables.  None of which, I believe, said "Multi-Camera Control Cable" on it.

What connectors does this cable have?  USB-C on both ends?  USB-C on one end and USB-Micro on the other?

When I find this cable, how do I connect it?  Where do I connect each end?  

Thanks.
2020-10-18
Use props
InterMurph
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I double-checked https://store.dji.com/product/rs-2?vid=96741, and it says the kit comes with 2 "Multi-Camera Control Cable (USB-C, 30 cm)", and also with 1 "Multi-Camera Control Cable (Sony Multi, 30 cm)".

So I looked more closely at the tiny print on the cables, and sure enough, I found one that says "USB-C TO Sony Multi".  It has a USB-Micro connector on the other end, but is apparently different than the "Multi-Camera Control Cable (Micro-USB, 30 cm)" that also comes with the kit.

So I connected the Sony cable to the only port on the camera that fits it (USB-Micro), and it works.

Thanks.
2020-10-18
Use props
InterMurph
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So my next problem comes when I add the Raveneye.  I have it powered from the gimbal, and connected to the camera's HDMI.  On my Ronin app, I see the video feed, and can control the gimbal via the virtual joystick and Force Mobile.  And the object tracking feature works.

However, I cannot control the camera from this screen.  I press the red record button, and the app tells me that it is recording, but it has no effect on the camera.

Now my question is, how can I control the camera while using the Raveneye system?  How do I wire it up?  

Thanks.
2020-10-18
Use props
cmarker1
lvl.1

InterMurph Posted at 10-18 07:27
So my next problem comes when I add the Raveneye.  I have it powered from the gimbal, and connected to the camera's HDMI.  On my Ronin app, I see the video feed, and can control the gimbal via the virtual joystick and Force Mobile.  And the object tracking feature works.

However, I cannot control the camera from this screen.  I press the red record button, and the app tells me that it is recording, but it has no effect on the camera.

InterMurph, if you get it working can you post pictures? I have been trying quite a few combinations and watching review videos trying to see where the cables go. I have a A7SIII and I could get the image on my phone and active track working. I can't get it consistently working (with the same wiring). I turn on the Gimbal first, then the RavenEye, and then the camera (app is open from the beginning). I don't know which order got it working the first time.
2020-10-21
Use props
InterMurph
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

It's all packed away now.  But in the image above, you will see the three USB-C connectors on the gimbal labeled 23, 24, and 25.

I connect a double-ended USB-C cable from 23 (Image Transmission/Focus Motor Port) to the Raveneye.  There are two USB-C connectors on the Raveneye; this one connects to the one that is alone on its end.  _Not_ to the one next to the HDMI input.

Then you connect the HDMI cable from your camera to the HDMI port on the other end of the Raveneye.

I can't imagine that power-on order matters.  The HDMI is just a passive signal from the camera to the Raveneye.  If your failure mode is no video at all on the app, it could be that your camera's HDMI port is set to 4K resuolution.  It has to be 1080, otherwise you will get no video.

If that's not the failure mode, can you be more specific?

Thanks.
2020-10-21
Use props
CurtF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 718399 ft
  • >>>
United States

InterMurph Posted at 10-21 08:59
[view_image]

It's all packed away now.  But in the image above, you will see the three USB-C connectors on the gimbal labeled 23, 24, and 25.

I have mine set this way and it works from the phone but the red record button on the RS2 (#8 in the diagram above) doesn't start and stop the camera recording.
IMG_5591.jpg
2020-10-22
Use props
InterMurph
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Near as I can tell from the documentation, the Ronin app is connected either to the gimbal or to the Raveneye, but not both.

So I think the same holds true for the RSS connectors.  Your camera is either connected to the gimbal or to the Raveneye, but not both.

In this image, your phone is connected to the RSS port on the Raveneye, and thus is not connected to the gimbal.  So it stands to reason that the gimbal's record button would not work here.

The question for me:  why, in this setup, can I not control the camera from the app, which is connected to the Raveneye, as is the camera?  
2020-10-22
Use props
CurtF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 718399 ft
  • >>>
United States

InterMurph Posted at 10-22 05:40
Near as I can tell from the documentation, the Ronin app is connected either to the gimbal or to the Raveneye, but not both.

So I think the same holds true for the RSS connectors.  Your camera is either connected to the gimbal or to the Raveneye, but not both.

My phone is not physically connected to anything. It is via wifi connected to the raveneye. I am wanting to use my phone as a monitor to see what I'm recording but not as the controlling device. I just ran a test and I can record from the app on my phone and I can playback the 1080 video in the app but nothing is written to my card in my camera.
2020-10-22
Use props
InterMurph
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I said "your phone is connected to the RSS port on the Raveneye", but I meant "your camera is connected to the RSS port on the Raveneye."

Your camera is connected to the RSS port of the Raveneye.  That means it is not connected to the RSS port of the gimbal.  That means that the gimbal has no control over the camera.

You should try connecting your camera to the USB-C port labeled 25 in the diagram above, and see if you can control the camera from the gimbal then.  

2020-10-22
Use props
oblivie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 891598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any idea when the a7siii iso and aperture controls will be available?
2020-10-23
Use props
InterMurph
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

No.  We know it's possible; the CamRanger 2 can do it all:

https://camranger.com/knowledge-base/sony-a7r-iv/

2020-10-23
Use props
Ziegler.Dave
lvl.1

United States

So I can't seem to get the Ronin RS2 to connect the new Sony a7s3.  I've tried both USB-C to USB-C and the cable marked for Sony.  No matter what the powerup order is.. gimbal first.. camera second it doesn't seem to matter and continue to get the screen that says USB Mode MTP or USB with orange hyphens on each side of the USB Mode.
2020-11-22
Use props
InterMurph
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Ziegler.Dave Posted at 11-22 15:06
So I can't seem to get the Ronin RS2 to connect the new Sony a7s3.  I've tried both USB-C to USB-C and the cable marked for Sony.  No matter what the powerup order is.. gimbal first.. camera second it doesn't seem to matter and continue to get the screen that says USB Mode MTP or USB with orange hyphens on each side of the USB Mode.

If you re seeing an MTP error on the Sony screen, that implies that you have something connected to the camera's USB-C port.

You do not want to connect the gimbal to the camera's USB-C port; you want to connect the gimbal to the camera's USB-Micro port, using the cable marked "Sony" in tiny letters.
And you want the other end, which is USB-C, connected to the port labeled 25 on the above diagram; it's the top port on the gimbal.

2020-11-22
Use props
JNY
New

United States

CurtF Posted at 2020-10-22 04:57
I have mine set this way and it works from the phone but the red record button on the RS2 (#8 in the diagram above) doesn't start and stop the camera recording.

This is NOT the a7s iii.

WHY is it SO difficult to find information about the a7siii? EVERYTHING on the internet takes you directly to the A74, or A73, -literally EVERY camera except for the a7s iii.

The same is happening now with the RS2. It's nearly impossible to get search results that reflect the intention of your search.
2023-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules