4408 14 2020-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i was thinking about the Mavic Mini 2 and what it might have. I then wondered if Ocusync is simply software or if it needs different hardware in the drone or controller to run.

I am not interested in peoples opinions regarding what DJI will do I was hoping someone might have a technical answer to this question. ie is it just software or hardware also

Thanks
2020-10-18
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Hi,
http://djibestdrones.com/dji-ocusync-2-0/
2020-10-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Given that the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 was a new release with Ocusync 2.0 built into it over the previous Phantom 4 Pro V1 which used Lightbridge I presume it is hardware based otherwise they could have simply updated the transmission system with a firmware update. None of the WiFi only drones such as the Spark, Mavic Air 1 or Mavic Mini can be remotely updated via firmware to Ocusync as the RC's are WiFi based. So I would hazard a guess that it is a combination of both hardware and software (as Ocusync itself can be upgraded with firmware).
2020-10-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VanzPix Posted at 10-18 10:08
Hi,
http://djibestdrones.com/dji-ocusync-2-0/

So it is still Wi Fi

it has dual band 2.4 and 5 gigahertz
2020-10-18
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hardware. It's a whole different transmission system, not something that can be added with some software...
2020-10-18
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 10-18 13:08
So it is still Wi Fi

But with a turbo charged engine so to speak. Hence why the range is 2.5x further in FCC and 3x in CE.
2020-10-18
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Its Hardware
2020-10-19
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

"Benefits of OcuSync over Lightbridge
Because OcuSync is a software base it means DJI can upgrade it. There will always be hardware limitations of course. But if we look at the original DJI goggles, they will be updating nuts to support the new OcuSync 2.0 that came with the Mavic 2 Pro & Zoom because they can be compatiable on the same frequency. It will only work on 2.4 gigahertz because there isn’t a 5 gigahertz radio. However, if this was Lightbridge they wouldn’t have even been able to do that because Lightbridge is a combination of hardware and software for the whole transmission system and it just wouldn’t have been compatible. However, because OcuSync is an SDR and it is software, it means within reason and as long as the processors are powerful enough to support it they can upgrade existing systems to be compatible with the newer ones." from Ocusync article link above.
2020-10-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello Bigplumbs, thank you for reaching out and your inquiry. The Ocusync is an hardware installed between the remote controller and the aircraft. The remote controller has the transmitter while the Aircraft has receiver. It is a wireless transmission system hardware that can transmit data from Remote Controller to Aircraft with low latency HD wireless video signal and control signal and allows you to transmit this up to long range. Thank you.
2020-10-19
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Adding Occusync 2.x to the Mini is a possibility because it will run over standard wifi hardware. Occusync is a SDR (Software Defined Radio..unlike it's predecessor (Lightbridge) that required custom silicon)
2020-10-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-19 09:48
Hello Bigplumbs, thank you for reaching out and your inquiry. The Ocusync is an hardware installed between the remote controller and the aircraft. The remote controller has the transmitter while the Aircraft has receiver. It is a wireless transmission system hardware that can transmit data from Remote Controller to Aircraft with low latency HD wireless video signal and control signal and allows you to transmit this up to long range. Thank you.

So could a Mavic Mini 1 be upgraded with software only changes to operate with Ocusync.

Not will it be done....... Could it ?
2020-10-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 10-19 13:07
So could a Mavic Mini 1 be upgraded with software only changes to operate with Ocusync.

No it can’t Ocysync is an SDR as above post says, but requires off the shelf hardware.

2020-10-19
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 10-18 13:08
So it is still Wi Fi

Not WiFi. But it does use the same band of frequencies, just not the specific channels for common WiFi.
2020-10-19
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 10-19 13:07
So could a Mavic Mini 1 be upgraded with software only changes to operate with Ocusync.

No, due to hardware limitations.
2020-10-20
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks all. It took a while but I think I have my answer now as I suspected.

Answer being It needs Different/More Hardware to operate on Ocusync
2020-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules