I rammed my Inspire into a tree (and it survived)
982 7 2015-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bryanesposito
lvl.2
United States

Director wanted a shot with the camera angled straight down, right over the forest canopy. I did about 6 successful takes prior to this one. I checked my altitude against the horizon and thought I was okay. Clearly, I was not.

As soon as it hit the tree, I said some explitives and then fired up the throttle to full speed. I expected to watch the camera footage as it tumbled through the trees and mercilessly cut to black. Thankfully, it popped right out. I collected myself and flew "home." I could see in the distance as it approached that pieces were hanging off of it. I ithought it was in complete shambles. As it neared closer, I realized that it was hauling two 3 foot long branches with a large bundle of leaves. They were making a God-awful buzzing noise as they grazed a propeller.

The only real damage was that 2 inches of a propeller was snapped clean off at the tip. Nothing else wrong except for some leaf guts attached to the gimbal. Flew it several more hours (with new propellers). Incredibly, all is perfect. Anyone want to chip into a lottery ticket?
2015-6-25
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Great quick reaction!
2015-6-25
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow - it stayed in the air with a damaged propeller?
2015-6-25
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

Wow is right, I would love to see a picture of it hauling the branches  
2015-6-25
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Holy Shitt!! My bad ed. Now that is impressive!
Props..Props...and more..Props  That was an awesome save.Wow..I already had repair cost in my head when I saw it hit and I don't even own the thing.

Ok..been giving this inspire thing a bucket full of crap lately but that is a testament to it's power and capabilities. I still cannot believe what I just saw . That thing weighs close to 20 pounds and just flew away.
Said it before, saying it again. When DJI gets it right, they get it right .
Cool Share!  
2015-6-26
Use props
bryanesposito
lvl.2
United States

Yup, it stayed in the air and actually I did it not notice a difference flying it back "home" after the impact. It was, though, incredibly scary as I had to fly back over a body of water to get back to my launch area.
2015-6-27
Use props
gds3d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29646 ft
United States

20 pounds? I don't think so.
2015-6-27
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Hello semantics . gds3d Ok.....Heavy compared to my p2..
Can I have my gold star now?
2015-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules