DJI RS2 Raveneye is just awesome but one problem.
15277 35 2020-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI RS2 Raveneye is just awesome.

Lots of battery life on the the Raveneye believe it or not.  Went down 5% on the Raveneye while going down 40% on the A7R4 and 25% on the RS2.  RS2 performing perfectly as it should.  AF-C on the A7R4 made the 50mm f/1.4 at 1080p120 w/ Activetrack 3.0 on the RS2 look like the production came out of a 2020 movie.

There is a problem with the oscillation at higher focal length and fast Activetrack speed.  I'm worried DJI may update it to prevent it but then the quality of the cinematic tracking goes down.  If there can be an option in the future to tune the way the padding aggressiveness works with a couple sliders on the display that could be shown and hidden on the remote touchscreen, it would be super cool.

https://click.dji.com/ADjDWxGrq87x1pkIZHJpTQ?pm=link
A7R4 Sigma 50mm f/1.4 AF-C Expand Flexible Spot.  Raveneye Activetrack.

2020-10-19
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds promising overall, thanks for the feedback, I get mine tomorrow or Wednesday.

On the note of battery life, there is another poster who asked how does one charge the Raven Eye, I assume it is via the USB-C port on the opposite side of the set where the HDMI port is? Are there no instructions for that component?

2020-10-19
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, thank you for your product feedback. We have already forward your suggestion to our development team and will upgrade the product experience once we have the updates.
2020-10-20
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

KS-6 Posted at 10-19 20:52
Sounds promising overall, thanks for the feedback, I get mine tomorrow or Wednesday.

On the note of battery life, there is another poster who asked how does one charge the Raven Eye, I assume it is via the USB-C port on the opposite side of the set where the HDMI port is? Are there no instructions for that component?

Hello, for the charging you can use the USB-C cable (20cm in the box) to connect the USB-C port on the RavenEye and the Image Transmission/Focus Motor Port (the bottom one of the three port on the Tilt Axis). Hope this helps!
2020-10-20
Use props
manz187
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15866 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-20 04:05
Hello, for the charging you can use the USB-C cable (20cm in the box) to connect the USB-C port on the RavenEye and the Image Transmission/Focus Motor Port (the bottom one of the three port on the Tilt Axis). Hope this helps!

Hey Wanda, I've got both the focus motor and Raveneye and was wondering if PDF versions of the user manuals are available for both?
2020-10-20
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

KS-6 Posted at 10-19 20:52

On the note of battery life, there is another poster who asked how does one charge the Raven Eye, I assume it is via the USB-C port on the opposite side of the set where the HDMI port is? Are there no instructions for that component?

On what date did you order?
2020-10-20
Use props
djiuser_NlxjhL5q2SG0
New
United States

The Raven Eye,  I can't get my ISO feature to work on my canon 1dx Mark II.. Can I have some help?  The directions of the Raven Eye by DJI leaves a lot to be desired.
2020-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-20 04:01
Hello, thank you for your product feedback. We have already forward your suggestion to our development team and will upgrade the product experience once we have the updates.

Please notice my other thread for the engineers.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D561%26typeid%3D561
2020-10-20
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hello, for the charging you can use the USB-C cable (20cm in the box) to connect the USB-C port on the RavenEye and the Image Transmission/Focus Motor Port (the bottom one of the three port on the Tilt Axis). Hope this helps!

That does help but it also draws power from the RS2's battery so it would be good to know the charging parameters to top it off separate from the RS2 when prepping for a job.
2020-10-20
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-20 06:54
On what date did you order?

I ordered the RS2 Pro kit from B&H on the 15th, it is on the truck for delivery today.
2020-10-20
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8343 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi AntDX316, could you please help me understand a couple of things? I would really appreciate it.

I've read through the manual and watched all youtube videos but I cant find the answers

1) When you use activetrack on RS2, do you have to use your phone? Can you select your subject using the touch screen?

2) How are you managing focus with A7R4? Are you using the object track in the A7R4 or just leaving it on AFC? Were you able to rack focus using RS2 wheel?
2020-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

nomnomnom Posted at 10-20 12:55
Hi AntDX316, could you please help me understand a couple of things? I would really appreciate it.

I've read through the manual and watched all youtube videos but I cant find the answers

Expand flexible spot set to the center on AF-C.  You can select what you want like a DJI drone.  It's pretty much the same.
2020-10-20
Use props
djiuser_NlxjhL5q2SG0
New
United States

Im trying to find out how to hook my Raveneye from the DJI RS 2 Gimbal pro kit to my canon 1dx Mark II. I would love to be able to change my ISO.
2020-10-20
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_NlxjhL5q2SG0 Posted at 10-20 13:50
Im trying to find out how to hook my Raveneye from the DJI RS 2 Gimbal pro kit to my canon 1dx Mark II. I would love to be able to change my ISO.

Is it on the list of (software) compatible cameras?
2020-10-20
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

KS-6 Posted at 10-20 11:00
I ordered the RS2 Pro kit from B&H on the 15th, it is on the truck for delivery today.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I should have ordered mine from B&H too.
2020-10-20
Use props
djiuser_NlxjhL5q2SG0
New
United States

It is on the compatible cameras list. I ordered mine from B and H and i got it today.
2020-10-20
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

manz187 Posted at 10-20 06:28
Hey Wanda, I've got both the focus motor and Raveneye and was wondering if PDF versions of the user manuals are available for both?

Hello, you can now check the download section on the RS2 here:https://www.dji.com/hk-en/rs-2/downloads to download the PDF user guides. Thanks!
2020-10-21
Use props
CurtF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 718399 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any tips on how to get this to work with the A7R4? Mine wont record to the card in the camera, only 180 to the app.
2020-10-22
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CurtF Posted at 10-22 18:08
Any tips on how to get this to work with the A7R4? Mine wont record to the card in the camera, only 180 to the app.

If you mean on the Raveneye app, you have to switch it from smartphone record to camera record.
2020-10-22
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 10-22 18:10
If you mean on the Raveneye app, you have to switch it from smartphone record to camera record.

Cool - thanks for the info Ant
2020-10-23
Use props
CurtF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 718399 ft
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-22 18:10
If you mean on the Raveneye app, you have to switch it from smartphone record to camera record.

I don't see anywhere to change that in the app. Can you point me to it?
2020-10-23
Use props
djiuser010101
lvl.3
Malta

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-20 17:47
Thanks for the info. Perhaps I should have ordered mine from B&H too.

Sad that B&H don't ship to my country. It seems that most places will start selling from the 31st of this month.
2020-10-23
Use props
ScooterC5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435052 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello, for the charging you can use the USB-C cable (20cm in the box) to connect the USB-C port on the RavenEye and the Image Transmission/Focus Motor Port (the bottom one of the three port on the Tilt Axis). Hope this helps!

I noticed that when the RS2 is on the charger (turned off) with RavenEye connected, there is no power charging the RavenEye as well. The RavenEye only gets power when the RS2 is turned on. It would be nice if the RavenEye would also automatically get charged with the RS2, as opposed to only charging once in use. Starting off with a fully charged RavenEye (as a result of an over night charge to both RS2 and RavenEye) would save on the RS2 battery.

One work around I noticed that one could do is to just leave the RS2 turned on during charging, and double tap the power button so that the gimbal motors aren't unnecessarily running; however, the screen still stays on during this charge. I'd rather not have to leave the RS2 on just to also charge the RavenEye offline. Maybe a firmware update could fix this so that when the RS2 recognizes power to the handle, when powered off, and RavenEye is connected, that power is also delivered to the RavenEye for charging offline as well. Thank you for this consideration.
2020-10-23
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ScooterC5 Posted at 10-23 09:33
I noticed that when the RS2 is on the charger (turned off) with RavenEye connected, there is no power charging the RavenEye as well. The RavenEye only gets power when the RS2 is turned on. It would be nice if the RavenEye would also automatically get charged with the RS2, as opposed to only charging once in use. Starting off with a fully charged RavenEye (as a result of an over night charge to both RS2 and RavenEye) would save on the RS2 battery.

One work around I noticed that one could do is to just leave the RS2 turned on during charging, and double tap the power button so that the gimbal motors aren't unnecessarily running; however, the screen still stays on during this charge. I'd rather not have to leave the RS2 on just to also charge the RavenEye offline. Maybe a firmware update could fix this so that when the RS2 recognizes power to the handle, when powered off, and RavenEye is connected, that power is also delivered to the RavenEye for charging offline as well. Thank you for this consideration.

Totally agree with this although I have found on the new documentation that the Raveneye will accept a charge from a 5V 2A source on it's own so at least there is that. But yes, for the sake of maximizing full batteries across the board it would be good if they daisy chained since it already takes a charge from the RS 2 battery when on.

Also, I think there might be some parasitic loss from the camera battery when the rig is powered down. I noticed that when I left the HDMI and RSS cables plugged into the camera, the battery was down a couple bars overnight. Unplugging them has solved it, camera is a Nikon Z6.
2020-10-23
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CurtF Posted at 10-23 03:31
I don't see anywhere to change that in the app. Can you point me to it?

Where you record on the Raveneye app on the right middle area.  On top of that is where you switch so it goes from a Smartphone icon to a Camera icon.  If you can't switch it then your camera isn't hooked up right.  Turn your camera off then on or use a different cable or your camera isn't compatible.
2020-10-23
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_NlxjhL5q2SG0 Posted at 10-20 08:57
The Raven Eye,  I can't get my ISO feature to work on my canon 1dx Mark II.. Can I have some help?  The directions of the Raven Eye by DJI leaves a lot to be desired.

You should be leaving ISO to auto then cap out the max if that is an issue.
2020-10-23
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ScooterC5 Posted at 10-23 09:33
I noticed that when the RS2 is on the charger (turned off) with RavenEye connected, there is no power charging the RavenEye as well. The RavenEye only gets power when the RS2 is turned on. It would be nice if the RavenEye would also automatically get charged with the RS2, as opposed to only charging once in use. Starting off with a fully charged RavenEye (as a result of an over night charge to both RS2 and RavenEye) would save on the RS2 battery.

One work around I noticed that one could do is to just leave the RS2 turned on during charging, and double tap the power button so that the gimbal motors aren't unnecessarily running; however, the screen still stays on during this charge. I'd rather not have to leave the RS2 on just to also charge the RavenEye offline. Maybe a firmware update could fix this so that when the RS2 recognizes power to the handle, when powered off, and RavenEye is connected, that power is also delivered to the RavenEye for charging offline as well. Thank you for this consideration.

I don't like the fact the raveneye gets charged by the RS2.  It kills the RS2 battery faster.
2020-10-23
Use props
manz187
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hey Ant, really appreciate all your informative posts.

I was wondering if the Sony touch LCD goes black when Ravenyeye is active and connected (either directly through RS 2 or through mobile device like iPhone). My a7siii seems to go black, prohibiting me from making adjustments like aperture, shutter speed, etc.
2020-10-28
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

manz187 Posted at 10-28 11:08
Hey Ant, really appreciate all your informative posts.

I was wondering if the Sony touch LCD goes black when Ravenyeye is active and connected (either directly through RS 2 or through mobile device like iPhone). My a7siii seems to go black, prohibiting me from making adjustments like aperture, shutter speed, etc.

If you have HDMI OSD set to on it would go black.  Also, something else makes it go black when recording but I'm not sure what it was.  I've tried to search for it but couldn't find out.  It's where HDMI OSD couldn't be toggled.  It was a memory save I did but I just fix it w/ overwriting the save that works.
2020-10-28
Use props
manz187
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-28 11:11
If you have HDMI OSD set to on it would go black.  Also, something else makes it go black when recording but I'm not sure what it was.  I've tried to search for it but couldn't find out.  It's where HDMI OSD couldn't be toggled.  It was a memory save I did but I just fix it w/ overwriting the save that works.

Yep. You nailed it. Was an HDMI setting on A7S III.

For those wondering, it's on Setup --? External Output (11) -- > HDMI Info Display (Set this to OFF)
2020-10-28
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

manz187 Posted at 10-28 11:26
Yep. You nailed it. Was an HDMI setting on A7S III.

For those wondering, it's on Setup --? External Output (11) -- > HDMI Info Display (Set this to OFF)

Upload some footage.
2020-10-28
Use props
عية بيرد
New

United States

I can’t get my Raveneye to power on after it worked the first night. Didn’t see any instructions on how to power it on. It has been on the charger for over an hour as I’m typing this. What am I doing wrong, how many times do you press/hold this Raveneye power button? Also no charging indicator lights
2020-11-19
Use props
Dr. Fibinotchi
lvl.2

United States

It might seems worthwhile for active track on Raven eye, but honestly I feel its usefulness to lock on a particular subject is limited especially in fast moving sports.  Scenario of slow moving object for a period of time would need to be needed like an interview.  The real usefulness to me is if there was focus/ zoom control from the Raven eye screen which I do not seem to see.  Force feedback remotely and zoom control either from a screen slider, and or bound as a tilt command would be REALLY useful to me.

thanks
-C
2020-12-3
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dr. Fibinotchi Posted at 12-3 10:21
It might seems worthwhile for active track on Raven eye, but honestly I feel its usefulness to lock on a particular subject is limited especially in fast moving sports.  Scenario of slow moving object for a period of time would need to be needed like an interview.  The real usefulness to me is if there was focus/ zoom control from the Raven eye screen which I do not seem to see.  Force feedback remotely and zoom control either from a screen slider, and or bound as a tilt command would be REALLY useful to me.

thanks

Setting up the padding tolerances would do wonders.  Sure it can probably lose track more often but if it can kill off the oscillation it would be great.  Like I said, longer focal lengths will make it Worse but for obvious reasons you will need at least some reach.  It would have been better if they gave the option to have more eyes like the Skydio 2 so it can still track even when the subject is not inside the main camera.
2020-12-7
Use props
djiuser_vdvMqA23Mlc8
New

United Arab Emirates

my raven eye focus peaking is focusing on the grids and on the numbers in my screen not in the subject, PLEASE HELP, even the exposure is showing the zebras on the details om screen not on the live feed!
2021-6-23
Use props
fans85c43170
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27362 ft
France

djiuser_vdvMqA23Mlc8 Posted at 2021-6-23 09:58
my raven eye focus peaking is focusing on the grids and on the numbers in my screen not in the subject, PLEASE HELP, even the exposure is showing the zebras on the details om screen not on the live feed!

I'm having exactly the same problem.. Have you found an answer
2023-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules