GPS Coordinates Are Wrong in the DJI FPV Goggles
4332 9 2020-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyDoggy
lvl.1
United States

FYI for DJI and all pilots,

The GPS Coordinates displayed in the DJI FPV Goggles are incorrect.  If you are counting on them to save your quad, you may want to think again.  
The issue is specifically related to the first digit after the decimal in the longitude.

Hopefully this is fixed in a software update.

I posted a Youtube video demonstrating this issue.  https://youtu.be/0wFZ_hKarIo

Thanks.

2020-10-20
Use props
djiuser_8WwWctOC6uWn
New

Sweden

Can confirm this, a fix would be nice. I contemplated switching to a dji transmitter, but without GPS telemetry I would have to rely on OSD GPS coordinates to find the quad. I will stick with my Taranis for the time being until a firmware update is released.
2020-10-20
Use props
Hacky4
lvl.2

Czechia

The GPS in the OSD is useless anyway because you can't record it.

So the telemetry is the only way to have it saved. The only issue is, telemetry range is very limited.
2020-10-21
Use props
schl0r
lvl.2

United Kingdom

you almost got it 100%. What you're missing in the video is that, where the "0" is missing after the dot, there is a space instead. If you look closely you can see clearly there's a gap between the dot and the next digit.  
I observed this many times before. This ONLY happens to a zero digit.
It's still 100% a bug, but what I'm saying is, you can actually tell whether there is a 0 missing (and you gotta add it manually in order to determine the location of your quad if it goes missing) or whether the GPS coordinates are accurate. Also easy to tell if there are less than 7 digits after the dot - then something's fishy with the coordinates.
Bottom line - DJI needs to fix this, and until then, if you see a space character in the lat/long, think of it as a zero.
2020-10-21
Use props
FlyDoggy
lvl.1
United States

Hacky4 Posted at 10-21 00:06
The GPS in the OSD is useless anyway because you can't record it.

So the telemetry is the only way to have it saved. The only issue is, telemetry range is very limited.

I wouldn’t say it’s totally useless. As you can see in the video, I did record the coordinates... by taking a photo with my phone camera.
2020-10-21
Use props
FlyDoggy
lvl.1
United States

schl0r Posted at 10-21 03:07
you almost got it 100%. What you're missing in the video is that, where the "0" is missing after the dot, there is a space instead. If you look closely you can see clearly there's a gap between the dot and the next digit.  
I observed this many times before. This ONLY happens to a zero digit.
It's still 100% a bug, but what I'm saying is, you can actually tell whether there is a 0 missing (and you gotta add it manually in order to determine the location of your quad if it goes missing) or whether the GPS coordinates are accurate. Also easy to tell if there are less than 7 digits after the dot - then something's fishy with the coordinates.

Can anyone confirm if digits other than zero show up?  If it’s just missing zeros that’s not the he worst case I guess.  I happen to live where to first digit is a zero also or I’d check it now. Thanks.
2020-10-21
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

A year later, this is still not fixed.

Not sure why its so difficult.

DJI, LET US RECORD WHAT IS ON THE SCREEN!
2020-10-21
Use props
djiuser_LF7hqZgTsXsA
lvl.1

Canada

My longitude is in the wrong hemisphere.   displays 306.0000 and should be -122.0000

contacted dji and they say it could be a hardware issue - send them the drone for inspection.
2021-5-26
Use props
Steele702
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3876775 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_LF7hqZgTsXsA Posted at 5-26 12:41
My longitude is in the wrong hemisphere.   displays 306.0000 and should be -122.0000

contacted dji and they say it could be a hardware issue - send them the drone for inspection.

Any word back from them?
2021-8-31
Use props
stevesbgmx.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7045899 ft
United Kingdom

This also happens on the dji goggles 2 (avata goggles)
My grid should be 54.064501 but shows 54.645013 not when using a dji air unit on my wing. Not so much a problem for me as my transmitter shows the correct coordinates. But could be if I have a crash with a battery disconnect.
3-31 10:27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules