Fly Away?
675 18 2020-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BDD13
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4774 ft
United States

I tried to submit this through the DJI Assistant 2 app but everytime I try to submit I get a "Server Error. Retry Submitting". Here is the description of what happend and the flight log if anyone could help shine some light on the situation that would be great. Thank you

I took off and hovered at approximately 15' while Mavic Air picked up GPS signal and recorded home position. Once Mavic had GPS and Home recorded I began to gain altitude to get the photos I intended to get. As I gained altitude the Mavic suddenly began to fly to the South West toward some trees I tried to redirect but it would not respond to the controls and continued in the direction of the trees. I only had control of its altitude so I began to bring it down. It continued to accelerate to the south west as I brought it down. I lost sight of it through the trees but continued to attempt to get it closer to the ground. I watched on screen until the screen disconnected as the drone bounced off branches and I am assuming the road on the other side of the trees (couldn't actually see it but from the looks of the scratches on the Mavic I'm assuming it hit the road). I found the Mavic on the other side of the road somewhere between 200' and 300' from where I had taken off. The entire flight was a couple of minutes but the drone was just hovering for all but the last 10 seconds or so. What happened here? Do I need to be concered with this happening again?

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/FO80BHGMA01QA70CVWP4
2020-10-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there BDD13. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please fly your DJI Mavic Air to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference from the area. That might be the reason why you are experiencing these issues. Since this issue had happened and if the said DJI drone was damage kindly please contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assessment on the said DJI drone. In addition, I will post an official DJI tutorial video on DJI Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices. Thank you.

2020-10-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Mavic suddenly began to fly to the South West toward some trees I tried to redirect but it would not respond to the controls and continued in the direction of the trees.

The movement to the SW was caused by your joystick inputs.
You were flying close to trees and at 2:05.9 you pushed the left stick full forward and the drone started to accelerate.
At 2:06.7 you went full stick in reverse, while also pushing the right stick hard to teh right and applying rudder input to turn the Mini and applying full throttle down.
At 2:08 the data shows a crash occurred.
At 2:10.5 you switched to SPort Mode and continued giving full stick inputs.

What happened here?

You were flying too close to obstacles and gave confused full stick joystick inputs.

Do I need to be concered with this happening again?
If you continue flying so close to trees, you do.

2020-10-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Had a look at your flight too, seen this behaviour you experienced few times more.

What happend....

Started your flight with zero satellites. You let your MA hover at low altitude to wait for GPS lock.
After 1m7s 9 sats and 4 bars for reception, so HP was set and in P-GPS mode.

But GPS data not that reliable yet....reception back to 3 to 4 again.
At1m59 stick up to climb to 13.5 meter, than some yaw right for very short moment.
At2m4.6 s your MA started to move away from position, this without Pitch and/or Roll input.
So it should have stayed in a GPS controlled postion ofcourse!
Move direction 242 degrees (heading drone 222), speed rapidly increasing.
At first you 'helped' this move by applying stick forward (for 0.5 second), but quicky100% aft stick to stop that movement. See chart 2: full aft at x and see move line....
So correct action to stop this moving away but no result, speed increased further to 6 m/s.

As said seen this before, i call it a "GPS fly away", seen this only when crafs wait while flying for a GPS lock, when 'bad' GPS signals coming in means that the actual position of the drone is not the same as the stored (not that accurate) GPS position wich results in a uncontrolled move away.
This discrepancy is seen in chart 3, if the GPS speed and the XY speed (flightlog data) line are not the same ; a GPS position 'error'.

The worst about this is that RC input has no or less effect on this GPS driven move-away, your pitch andd roll right had absolutely no effect on the move line....

What to do next ; always wait for a good GPS lock before starting a flight. Having said that, not always waiting in OPTI mode in hover for GPS signal will have this effect.
It all depends how fast and the quality of GPS signals are coming into the drone.

Chart #1  yellow move line is the period before this move away, without Pitch Roll input, should be steady hovering but as shown  not that steady keeping one position
Chart #2  red cross is the moment you applied aft stick to stop that motion
Chart #3  see the 2 speed lines in the upper part of the chart
Chart #4  see that the move away(speed increase) started with no Pitch Roll Input
cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
analysis4.png
2020-10-21
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 10-21 00:06
Hi,

Had a look at your flight too, seen this behaviour you experienced few times more.

Hmmmm. Nice detective work. I always waited for at least 11 sats, but didn’t know why. Now i know.
2020-10-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Scarves UP Posted at 10-21 04:59
Hmmmm. Nice detective work. I always waited for at least 11 sats, but didn’t know why. Now i know.

Thanks, not really detective work, just make data visual to make it understandable and regocnize patterns, my flightrecord database is huge....

cheers
JJB
2020-10-21
Use props
BDD13
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 10-21 00:06
Hi,

[Image]
Thank you for taking the time to look at this and break it down so clearly. I have mever looked at this data before so I wanted to make sure I was understanding it.

When something like this happens will the pause button on the controller stop the drone or because the GPS is incorrect it will continue to fly away?
2020-10-22
Use props
BDD13
lvl.1
United States

Scarves UP Posted at 10-21 04:59

I was hoping to find someone with a good understanding of these logs that might be able to explain what happened and I was not disappointed. How well he breaks down the logs is pretty impressive.  

Guess I'll be wating for more satellites now too.
2020-10-22
Use props
BDD13
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-20 21:03
Hello there BDD13. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please fly your DJI Mavic Air to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference from the area. That might be the reason why you are experiencing these issues. Since this issue had happened and if the said DJI drone was damage kindly please contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assessment on the said DJI drone. In addition, I will post an official DJI tutorial video on DJI Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

Thank you, I will reach out to support.
2020-10-22
Use props
BDD13
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-20 22:05
The Mavic suddenly began to fly to the South West toward some trees I tried to redirect but it would not respond to the controls and continued in the direction of the trees.
The movement to the SW was caused by your joystick inputs.
You were flying close to trees and at 2:05.9 you pushed the left stick full forward and the drone started to accelerate.

I do not think you are reading what happened accurately but thank you for taking the time to try and help.
2020-10-22
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 10-21 22:54
Thanks, not really detective work, just make data visual to make it understandable and regocnize patterns, my flightrecord database is huge....

cheers

Anyhow, still an amazing skill!
2020-10-22
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

BDD13 Posted at 10-22 03:39
Thank you for taking the time to look at this and break it down so clearly. I have mever looked at this data before so I wanted to make sure I was understanding it.

When something like this happens will the pause button on the controller stop the drone or because the GPS is incorrect it will continue to fly away?

Please just listen to JJB.
And Labroides
2020-10-22
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

BDD13 Posted at 10-22 03:54
I was hoping to find someone with a good understanding of these logs that might be able to explain what happened and I was not disappointed. How well he breaks down the logs is pretty impressive.  

Guess I'll be wating for more satellites now too.

Definitely! Never failed one time!
2020-10-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

BDD13 Posted at 10-22 03:39

When something like this happens will the pause button on the controller stop the drone or because the GPS is incorrect it will continue to fly away?

Hi,

My pleasure to help if i can.

I don`t think pressing the pause button will help....this button stops all RC or automatic flymodes input ect and bring the craft into a hover. But that only works if the GPS or Compass errors are not the cause of the fly away.

About compass....never forget to check before take-off if the compass of your drone gives the same heading as your drone is in the real world!!This is, imo, the most important check before starting a flight.  (and ofourse GPS lock)

see this   https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=225017

cheers
JJB
2020-10-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Scarves UP Posted at 10-22 04:36
The pause button just brakes, no gps needed.

i think it needs GPS, pressing pause will bring the craft in a stabilized hover, wich needs GPS ofcourse.

Brakes...well it stops all manual and automatic fly modes input; thus no input in the 4 directions. result is stopping any motion and bring craft into hover, as said needs GPS.

cheers
JJB
2020-10-22
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 10-22 05:13
i think it needs GPS, pressing pause will bring the craft in a stabilized hover, wich needs GPS ofcourse.

Brakes...well it stops all manual and automatic fly modes input; thus no input in the 4 directions. result is stopping any motion and bring craft into hover, as said needs GPS.

Ooops. My post has benn changed to a more suitable awnser.
2020-10-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Scarves UP Posted at 10-22 04:36

Holding position is impossible without GPS.
No GPS = no brakes.

2020-10-22
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-22 05:14
Holding position is impossible without GPS.
No GPS = no brakes.

Now i know! Thanks. I changed my awnser to a better awnser.
2020-10-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

BDD13 Posted at 10-22 03:54
Thank you, I will reach out to support.

Hi there BDD13. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any other concerns or inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2020-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules