1954 10 2015-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shayd93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I'm a new Inspire 1 Pilot (Only had experiences with AR Parrot 2.0, and about a week of Phantom 3) And like everyone I got my I1 with one battery which once depleted leaves it's control remote at around 94%~ Should I just pack it back up and use it over and over again until battery hits under 25% or charge it back to 100% (Which I doubt) Or charge it only when it's below 50% I forgot how is it with Lithium-Polymer batteries.

P.S Is it safe to put the depleted battery in a colder enviroment to let it cool down faster to allow charging sooner, such as fridge on low settings or ice packs, anything not cold to the point it would create condensation mist on the battery and connectors.
2015-6-25
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

This is what I do.  For the transmitter, I charge when it gets somewhere around 50%.

For the flight battery.  Room temperature, and let it cool on it's own.  

Buy another battery.  While you are flying the second battery, the first will cool down enough to charge.
2015-6-26
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

You don't need to discharge the new battery before charging. Just make sure to always begin all flights with a recently charged (to 100%) battery. There have been many reports of flights starting with partially charged batteries that suddenly drop to 7% charge and trigger an immediate descent of the aircraft. I tried it a couple of weeks ago and was able to replicate this issue.
2015-6-26
Use props
ea6le
lvl.2

Turks and Caicos Islands

Buy more batteries and rotate them. Let them cool down after flight, at least couple hours, always fly with the batteries charged full. I think is safe to use a battery that was fully charged within a week from charge. The problem with the drop of the charge it may happen after 10 days of charge if the auto-discharge kicks in. I have left my batteries more than 10 days without charging but I was checking them almost every day (when you click the button on the battery the auto-discharge timer is reset) and flew with them at 92% down to 30% and had no problems. But to be safe just put them on charger before the flight.
Handling the batteries is very important, if you drop it or apply any other physical stress to the battery you should keep the battery in a lipo safety box or bag. I think also is bad if you leave your battery for long time in hot environment (car in the sun). you should be very cautious with those batteries and have them charged and discharged for few times before you can trust them again.
Do not leave your battery in the aircraft after flight.
I think this are few rules you should follow and you'll be fine.
You can charge lipo batteries at any time, unless they are too discharged.
2015-6-26
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

Abe Posted at 2015-6-26 21:55
You don't need to discharge the new battery before charging. Just make sure to always begin all flig ...

Couldn't agree more, used a TB47 battery today showing 42% raised the aircraft some 10 feet into the air, lost app display, aircraft starts to drop, pushed it back up, fired up the app again, showed 2%.... Landed without issue but all I was intent on doing was discharging the battery prior to putting back on charge. Lesson learned!
2015-6-26
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Yes I will buy 2-3 TB48s when budget allows but not anytime soon hence I'm asking for tips because if I'm doing something wrong I'll screw up 1 battery now instead of all 4 later on
2015-6-26
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

ea6le Posted at 2015-6-26 22:59
Buy more batteries and rotate them. Let them cool down after flight, at least couple hours, always f ...

Why can't you leave you battery in the aircraft after a flight if nothing is actually on.
2015-6-26
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-6-27 06:11
Why can't you leave you battery in the aircraft after a flight if nothing is actually on.

It's just a good habit - minimize anything going wrong - ex: what if it caught on fire while still in drone- no good.

As mentioned above, let the battery cool down before charging
2015-6-26
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

flydronefly Posted at 2015-6-27 10:25
It's just a good habit - minimize anything going wrong - ex: what if it caught on fire while still ...

Battery won't charge when hot anyway, I just put mine next to window for a bit of breeze or if away from home  set it on top of the case until it cools a bit as right after landing it gets almost unbearable to touch to my soft baby skin.

But let's test this scenario, you need to film tomorrow and want to make sure everything it good with the drone, you start it up, fly for about 20-30% of battery then land. But then what, should I charge it back to 100% for the next day's event? Afterall the manual says to charge it fully before a flight.
2015-6-26
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

flydronefly Posted at 2015-6-27 10:25
It's just a good habit - minimize anything going wrong - ex: what if it caught on fire while still ...

Yes I get that it could catch fire.  But surely there is no difference  leaving it in the aircraft or placing it a slot next to the aircraft in the case if nothing is switched on.  If it is going to explode or break into a fire in the case theres not much chance of doing anything by the time your realised something was up.

It probably would be better to store and transport the batteries in a separate lipo bag or metal container, which would be much better as if it did catch fire it wouldn't be in the same case as the aircraft.

2015-6-27
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

shayd93@gmail.c Posted at 2015-6-27 11:11
Battery won't charge when hot anyway, I just put mine next to window for a bit of breeze or if awa ...

Yes the general consensus for these batteries from the forum and DJI is to fly with fully charged batteries.  if you fly and use 30% of your battery the day before thats a significant amount of battery power used up before your main shoot, so why wouldn't you charge it.
The manual even says you can charge if above 95%.  Personaly I have always just switched it on used simulator etc. to get the battery to 90%  before I top it up on the rare occassion it is still at a high percentage.
2015-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules