Feature request: 360 Spherical panorama
6664 16 2020-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
meeee
New

Switzerland

In the past, I used a third-party app to take great 360 panoramas with the original OSMO.

I was disappointed to learn that the OSMO pocket did not support this feature and that the SDK was not publically available for the camera and therefore no third party could develop this capability.

This time, could you please add this functionality?

I think DJI is missing out on a big market segment here. I was literally taking better quality 360 panoramas out of the OSMO than with an Insta360 Pro which costs 8x more.

2020-10-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 for suggestion
2020-10-21
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Isn’t this physically impossible as Pocket 2’s gimbal pan angle is -230° ~ +70°?

It can only Pan 300° or are there other ways to stitch 360° panorama image with only 300° data?
2020-10-21
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Tide Posted at 10-21 01:08
Isn’t this physically impossible as Pocket 2’s gimbal pan angle is -230° ~ +70°?

It can only Pan 300° or are there other ways to stitch 360° panorama image with only 300° data?

Oh! I am answering myself but because Pocket 2 has 93° angle camera, could end to end shot can overlaps missing 60°?
2020-10-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there meeee. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information and your insights with regards to this matter. I will forward these information and this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-10-21
Use props
meeee
New

Switzerland

Tide Posted at 10-21 01:14
Oh! I am answering myself but because Pocket 2 has 93° angle camera, could end to end shot can overlaps missing 60°?

You don't need the entire 360 data to stitch the panorama together. For instance, the original OSMO didn't pan the entire 360, which meant some of the bottom part of the image had to be capped.

The following tour was done with the original OSMO: https://rocket.ch/wp-content/uploads/videos/ckw/index.htm
2020-10-21
Use props
meeee
New

Switzerland

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-21 01:17
Hello there meeee. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information and your insights with regards to this matter. I will forward these information and this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.

One further detail, the app I used to take the panoramas with the original OSMO was called DronePan and it's open source.

You can find the code repository here:
https://github.com/dbaldwin/DronePan
2020-10-21
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

+100 votes for making this feature available on pocket 2 cameras they can easily do it.
2021-3-12
Use props
sheva
lvl.1

Austria

I would love this feature too
2021-3-14
Use props
djiuser_0XTeY5vGoGOY
New

United States

Yes please!
2021-9-26
Use props
djiuser_U1AXayhMJY3O
New

United States

+50 - seriously would like this feature.
I work for a company that does virtual tours and would be very interested.
Pleaseee.

Thanks,
Anthony
2021-10-21
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

djiuser_U1AXayhMJY3O Posted at 10-21 11:29
+50 - seriously would like this feature.
I work for a company that does virtual tours and would be very interested.
Pleaseee.

If you have iphone then you can try the free DronePan app it might work with pocket 2 also.
The issue in adding this feature is that Pocket 2 doesnt have enough processor power to stitch 360 pano consisting of 20+ images so even if Dji add this feature users will need additional software on desktop computer to stitch the panorama. I will welcome such feature addition for sure.

2021-10-21
Use props
PictualPhoto
lvl.1

South Africa

Yes please add this feature
2021-10-22
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

I wouldn't mind getting more features, but I am afraid it is unlikely to happen, as there have been no new updates to Pocket 2. Seems they had enough of our money to not be interested in it...
2021-10-22
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

Today I tested shooting manually guessing the overlap, will test tomorrow with better location to stitch & find errors.
Users can shoot it but will have to stitch the images manually.

Ideal shooting is as follows if someone wants to try.
-10 degree 6 shots
-45 degree 4 shots
+10 degree 6 shots
+45 degree 4 shots
+90 degree 2 shots

If DJI can simply add a template of automating this feature with a note that user have to stitch in external software that will be great.

Screenshot 2021-10-22 at 22.03.40.jpg
2021-10-22
Use props
xavan
New

Switzerland

please upvote the original post if you want DJIs developers to pay attention to this thread.
2021-10-22
Use props
xavan
New

Switzerland

Ranjan Posted at 10-21 18:58
If you have iphone then you can try the free DronePan app it might work with pocket 2 also.
The issue in adding this feature is that Pocket 2 doesnt have enough processor power to stitch 360 pano consisting of 20+ images so even if Dji add this feature users will need additional software on desktop computer to stitch the panorama. I will welcome such feature addition for sure.

DronePan doesn't support and won't support the Osmo Pocket because DJI hasn't released an SDK for this device so there's no way to support it other than trying to reverse engineering it.
2021-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules