Focus with the Wide Angle
1095 12 2020-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Will there still be a need to focus with the new wide-angle lens on or will it be like a GoPro with no focussing necessary due to large depth of field ?
2020-10-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi John.
By the looks of the videos coming out I would say it needs to focus unless there is nothing near you for the first twenty meters or so. It seems to have a shallower depth of field than the 1 and I think this is to be expected with a larger sensor and wider aperture lens.  It may not be as noticeable as on cameras with larger sensors but it's definitely there in the footage being thrown up on YouTube.

Ray.
2020-10-21
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 10-21 05:00
Hi John.
By the looks of the videos coming out I would say it needs to focus unless there is nothing near you for the first twenty meters or so. It seems to have a shallower depth of field than the 1 and I think this is to be expected with a larger sensor and wider aperture lens.  It may not be as noticeable as on cameras with larger sensors but it's definitely there in the footage being thrown up on YouTube.

Thanks Ray,

I was hoping that with the new wide-angle add on lens it would have almost infinite depth of field.

John
2020-10-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

John Walker Posted at 10-21 06:07
Thanks Ray,

I was hoping that with the new wide-angle add on lens it would have almost infinite depth of field.

Hi John.
The new tracking focus seems pretty quick and accurate in most situations from what I've seen so far but equally I'm sure it will miss from time to time.  Most of the time I've lost focus with the Osmo Pocket (1) it has been my own fault, forgetting to tap the screen for focus and letting the Pocket do it's own thing.
I understand it would be nice to have a deeper field of view but then sometimes that leads to the subject matter not standing out as well as it could. Maybe one day they will add additional fixed apertures like they used to in bridge cameras.

Ray.
2020-10-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello John Walker, thank you for reaching out. The new Osmo Pocket 2 will no longer necessary to focus on a subject except 4K 60P and 1080p, 8x slow motion can't use together with the  active track meanwhile the other frames are all available. Thank you.
2020-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It most certainly needs to focus.
You can see it in the reviews (auto focus of course)
2020-10-21
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 10-21 11:07
It most certainly needs to focus.
You can see it in the reviews (auto focus of course)

What is the 35mm equivalent when the add-on wide angle lens is fitted?
2020-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

John Walker Posted at 10-21 12:39
What is the 35mm equivalent when the add-on wide angle lens is fitted?

Something like 16mm

I have watched multiple reviews now from the P2 and there is quite a lot of focus hunting on the pre production AF.
2020-10-21
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 10-21 12:41
Something like 16mm

I have watched multiple reviews now from the P2 and there is quite a lot of focus hunting on the pre production AF.

With 16mm there should be a very big depth of field.  I've not noticed any focus hunting on reviews where the wide lens is fitted.  Could you let me know which review/s show hunting with the wide lens fitted and without a subject close to the lens etc.
I reckon you could switch to manual focus with this lens and focus at around 10ft.  If my calculations are correct depth of field would be from around 6ft to infinity?   This would be for general walkabout cityscape/landscape shots.
2020-10-21
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

John Walker Posted at 10-21 14:49
With 16mm there should be a very big depth of field.  I've not noticed any focus hunting on reviews where the wide lens is fitted.  Could you let me know which review/s show hunting with the wide lens fitted and without a subject close to the lens etc.
I reckon you could switch to manual focus with this lens and focus at around 10ft.  If my calculations are correct depth of field would be from around 6ft to infinity?   This would be for general walkabout cityscape/landscape shots.

Try Potato jet’s review.
He has a ton of focus hunting but he also address that it will be fixed in 1.1 firmware update.
2020-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

With 16mm there should be a very big depth of field.  I've not noticed any focus hunting on reviews where the wide lens is fitted.  Could you let me know which review/s show hunting with the wide lens fitted and without a subject close to the lens etc.

There is no manual focus on the P2
Just 'one time' or 'AF'.
You see it in every review actually.
More often the background is in focus instead of the foreground.
Not like Full Frame f/1.8 nice shallow DOF, but just ugly out of focus.
2020-10-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

With 16mm there should be a very big depth of field.  I've not noticed any focus hunting on reviews where the wide lens is fitted.  Could you let me know which review/s show hunting with the wide lens fitted and without a subject close to the lens etc.

One example is the shot here around 9:20 (but it happens a lot in this video) where his face is out of focus and the background is sharp.

2020-10-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Another review with AF issues.

Check around 4:20
Around 6:20 he mentions it (stating it is something that will be addressed by DJI in upcoming firmware).

But my point is you do need to focus this camera otherwise the image is not sharp.
(since you asked about focusing)
2020-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules