Geo Zone Altitude Zone and RTH
785 7 2020-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spirosanathema
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6495056 ft
Greece

Hallo. I come up with a situation frequently that I would like to share with you. I fly within a GEO zone (60m altitude limit) and when I exit it I gain  height (at about 118m). When Failsafe RTH triggers (let’s say at 2000m) or when I press RTH button, the moment it enters the GEO zone while returning, it does NOT  descend, it just hovers. That has nothing to do with detecting obstacles  underneath. It just hovers and never descents as it probably should (so  it reaches 60m and keep on returning). I know that DJI drones NEVER descent at their own while returning home but MA2 user manual says: "If the aircraft flies into a GEO zone during RTH it will either descent until it exits the GEO zone and continue to the home point or it will hover in place" (page 15). If anyone have any comment for a situation like this it will be much appreciated! Thnx in advance.

PS. Does Failsafe RTH vs Smart RTH have any difference on this subject?
2020-10-21
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maybe with your PS you have answered your own question? The sure way would be to try Smart RTH and see if that resolves the problem.
2020-10-21
Use props
Spirosanathema
lvl.2
Greece

Blériot53 Posted at 10-21 13:27
Maybe with your PS you have answered your own question? The sure way would be to try Smart RTH and see if that resolves the problem.

I have tried smart RTH (that's easy ) and it just hovers. I haven't tried failsafe RTH with no connection while entering GEO zone. That can happen if I am inside a GEO zone (altitude limit zone), I fly at 300m height OUTSIDE altitude limit zone and turn, let's say hard left until I lose connection. The drone will start returning in straight line with home point but I may not have connection when it reaches altitude limit zone because of my hard left turn (left turn is an example).
2020-10-21
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Spirosanathema Posted at 10-21 13:38
I have tried smart RTH (that's easy ) and it just hovers. I haven't tried failsafe RTH with no connection while entering GEO zone. That can happen if I am inside a GEO zone (altitude limit zone), I fly at 300m height OUTSIDE altitude limit zone and turn, let's say hard left until I lose connection. The drone will start returning in straight line with home point but I may not have connection when it reaches altitude limit zone because of my hard left turn (left turn is an example).

I'd cancel the auto RTH at the boundary of the NFZ and return to the start point manually after reducing height to the authorized ceiling.
2020-10-21
Use props
Spirosanathema
lvl.2
Greece

Blériot53 Posted at 10-21 13:44
I'd cancel the auto RTH at the boundary of the NFZ and return to the start point manually after reducing height to the authorized ceiling.

What if you DO NOT have connection at the boundary? Shouldn't it descent to GEO zone limit at its own  as manual says it may do?
2020-10-21
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Spirosanathema Posted at 10-21 13:47
What if you DO NOT have connection at the boundary? Shouldn't it descent to GEO zone limit at its own  as manual says it may do?

It would be really strange to have connection on the outward flight, when reaching the boundary at 60m, and then able to fly on, achieving the stated height of (I assume you meant to say 200m and not 2000m) that when the drone returns to the boundary some 140m higher than when you sent it out, that control could not be regained.  If it states in the manual that the design feature will cause the drone to descend to the authorised limit before proceeding, and it does not, then there is a problem.  Does the Geofencing for your area as defined by DJI correspond with the limits for your country?  Apart from that, I can offer nothing further as a suggestion.  Hopefully, someone will pick up on the thread who can help you further.  Good luck.
2020-10-21
Use props
Spirosanathema
lvl.2
Greece

Blériot53 Posted at 10-21 14:09
It would be really strange to have connection on the outward flight, when reaching the boundary at 60m, and then able to fly on, achieving the stated height of (I assume you meant to say 200m and not 2000m) that when the drone returns to the boundary some 140m higher than when you sent it out, that control could not be regained.  If it states in the manual that the design feature will cause the drone to descend to the authorised limit before proceeding, and it does not, then there is a problem.  Does the Geofencing for your area as defined by DJI correspond with the limits for your country?  Apart from that, I can offer nothing further as a suggestion.  Hopefully, someone will pick up on the thread who can help you further.  Good luck.

Thanks for your replies. The the reason I can reach 2000m outside Altitude Limit zone is because of the height I gain. I start the flight inside the zone (60m limit) and then I gain height (180m) so connection gets strong (urban area). If I gain distance at that height, TURN LEFT and lose connection, the drone will be in failsafe RTH mode IN STRAIGHT LINE. I may not be able to gain connection (because of the buildings) when it is at the boundary. This may sound as an unusual or irresponsible way of flight but it can be done so I would like to know what happens if... Again thanks for your replies, much appreciated!

PS. User manual says it MAY descent or it MAY hover. That's why I'm asking
2020-10-21
Use props
Victototo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88494 ft
Hong Kong

Spirosanathema Posted at 10-21 14:32
Thanks for your replies. The the reason I can reach 2000m outside Altitude Limit zone is because of the height I gain. I start the flight inside the zone (60m limit) and then I gain height (180m) so connection gets strong (urban area). If I gain distance at that height, TURN LEFT and lose connection, the drone will be in failsafe RTH mode IN STRAIGHT LINE. I may not be able to gain connection (because of the buildings) when it is at the boundary. This may sound as an unusual or irresponsible way of flight but it can be done so I would like to know what happens if... Again thanks for your replies, much appreciated!

PS. User manual says it MAY descent or it MAY hover. That's why I'm asking

"If the aircraft flies into a GEO zone during RTH it will either descent until it exits the GEO zone"
I think in your case, the aircraft didn't fly INTO a GEO zone, but refuse and stay outside of a GEO zone (altitude zone). So it may not conflict with the manual. If occasionally (lost GPS or so) it enters the altitude zone, then the aircraft may descend to the permitted altitude automatically.
2020-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules