Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RS2 focus motor? and another nonsense of the new gimbals
12Next >
19744 40 2020-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Indio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

is it true that the focusmotor has 12mm and not 15mm?

what's with dji?
2020-10-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Indio, are you referring to the Rod of the Focus Motor? If yes, the Focus Motor of RS2 comes with 12mm Rod Clamp Inner Diameter. More parameters can be checked here: https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-focus-motor
2020-10-22
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

hi mindy

yes focus motor, but ALL rods are 15mm!

i have a 15mm road fix mounted on my camera cage (BMPCC4k) for the nucleus nano or tilta manual follow focus.
so the camera can be mounted on my ronin S or on the tripod, monopod, slider, etc
also a manfrotto 323 quick-change system is permanently mounted on the camera, so i don't have to do any balancing when mounted on the ronin S.

what helps me now the upper quick-change plate on the rs-2 if i have to change the rod, because the diameter does not fit.

what was DJI thinking? > yes, not finished thinking!

as well as the record button above and the M button below (?)
and no audio from the raveneye

ask your users before you do this nonsense!!!

the main thing is to send pre-release versions to any youtuber who has no idea about the practice and can't handle these parts.

i am thinking about cancelling an order for the RS2 pro for this reason.

IMG_6221.jpg

and yes, you may give this entry to your developers and marketing in the same way +g*

2020-10-22
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Hello?
has everyone here lost their voice now?
2020-10-22
Use props
Ssaumlsch
lvl.4
Germany

Thanks for bringing this rod situation to my attention. Didn't even read the description of the motor but my B cam setup is pretty similar to your BM Pocket. This forces me to use the DJI 12mm rod.
Normally on my current Ronin S / Pocket Bcam I run the same 15mm setup, it doesn't matter if I use the Tilta Nano Motor with an AC or doing focus myself with the DJI motor. This change forces me to change rods for this switch and I don't like it.
I'll look into this once the unit gets here but this might be a dealbreaker for me. Hopefully they'll consider releasing a 15mm adaptor for the DJI motor.
2020-10-23
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

thanks Ssaumlsch for your confirmation!
2020-10-23
Use props
Ssaumlsch
lvl.4
Germany

The 12V outputs are gone too. I used those to power my Pocket 4k from the gimbal. I highly doubt there is a USB-C to 2pin Lemo possibility. The voltage is probably not high enough.
I might need to stick with my Ronin S
2020-10-24
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

yes, this is a shame and also the raveneye will not charge if the RS-2 is charging

@Ssaumlsch
you can go with a dummy batterie, but this is not a recommended solution

DJI, ask your customers BEFORE!

you had the chance to build the best gimbal by far and you blew it : -(

thinking is not only enough from 9 to 5

2020-10-24
Use props
fansba3b7009
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314908 ft
  • >>>
Austria

theses changes are done on purpose ...this is normal dji practice with all their products
product separation is most important
stuff sounds good at first until you realize its limited in use
I am so over this
2020-10-24
Use props
fans076e06e0
lvl.2
Germany

That's my solution for the 12mm rod fail. I might cut the 12mm rod, is I've got the 15mm rod free.
2020-11-16
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

We have no control over what users tack onto their cameras such as a heavy cage, but we do have control over what we make. A 12mm rod is lighter and smaller than a 15mm rod. The motor ends up being smaller as well resulting in an overall weight reduction. When we designed the RS2, we considered weight reduction as one of the top priorities. The majority of the users are not going to be mounting a 3rd party focus motor. It doesn't fit your needs and that's why there are aftermarket manufacturers that make accessories.

If you're so smart, you're welcome to  apply for a job at DJI
2020-11-16
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

hi paul
all good with less weight

but 15mm is the standard!

same with your lower and upper plate
the lower does not fit with manfrotto,
und the upper does not fit with arca-swiss.

and yes, ask me and other user before!

2020-11-17
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

We know 15mm is standard but we needed to compromise for weight for the mass majority of users who won't be mounting a standard 15mm rod focus motor. As for those plates, there is no standard size. We've tried dozens of Arca and Manfrotto tripod heads and they all range in size. There is no standard exact dimensions for these plates and tolerances are very loose.
2020-11-17
Use props
Ssaumlsch
lvl.4
Germany

DJI-Paul Posted at 11-17 01:12
We know 15mm is standard but we needed to compromise for weight for the mass majority of users who won't be mounting a standard 15mm rod focus motor. As for those plates, there is no standard size. We've tried dozens of Arca and Manfrotto tripod heads and they all range in size. There is no standard exact dimensions for these plates and tolerances are very loose.

Hey Paul, thank you for taking the time to answer our concerns!

I understand your reasoning behind going with the smaller 12mm rod size regarding weight but the few grams saved don't outweigh (pun intended) the cons for the pro users out there. And I checked, you guys put "DJI Pro" on the very nice bag the new gimbal arrived in... ;)

The same goes for the missing 12V outputs - is there any way to make it possible via a software update to enable more than 5V on one or two of the USB-Cs?

I used the old Ronin as my B-cam setup for quick walking shots with a BMPCC 4k, perfectly matching my Ursa Mini Pro G2 as A cam. Yesterday I used the RS2 on a shoot for the first time, today I have another job in the evening and I reverted my setup back to the Ronin S for now - it's just the more "pro" option for me right now.
The saved weight overall made it more enjoyable to work with the gimbal but my Tilta Nucleus Nano motor doesn't get enough power from the 5V USB-C to reliably drive my lenses (and for that matter only the top USB-C works with the Nano motor for some reason).
I know how to balance my setup and the process is much quicker on the RS2 thanks to the improved locks and arms. BUT (!) the resulting footage was less stable then what I get out of the Ronin S. There were slight issues with a wobbling horizon and noticable shaking when operating in flashlight mode - that could be minimized by grabbing the back of the gimbal with a second hand so I suspect it's just harmonics with the motors and can be fixed by software, but I rarely had those issues with the Ronin S and only remember them from using the original Ronin 1.

All in all I can't really use the RS2 for professional work as is. I really hope firmware fixes will come along and you guys can address some of the issues we see right now through firmware updates. As it stands right now I see the RS2 as a pure Youtuber / Influencer tool using a mirrorless camera and autofocus or only the tools out of your own ecosystem. I'm sorry to say and I really wanna like the new Ronin but that is not "Pro" enough for me.
2020-11-18
Use props
amnesia0287
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 11-17 01:12

But if weight was the issue why not just use a carbon fiber rod? Or make the clamp on the focus motor work 12-15mm instead of JUST 12mm.

TBH, I wouldn't mind so much if the power ports hadn't also been gimped to death. From what I can tell you can't get more than 5v out of 2 of the 3 ports, at least not using any standard protocols. If i trigger QC2 or QC3 I will get 5v, but like USB-PD is not even supported. Why on earth are you guys implementing your own charging standard when USB-PD already supports 5/12/15/20v. What other outputs could you possibly need.

I was really hoping I'd be able to run 15/20v on my nucleus-m when I'm using bigger/heavier/stronger motors.

I love basically everything else about the gimbal, but its really disappointing that there is no means to run external power from the gimbal battery or one of the accessory mounts to then pass through to camera/focus/recorders/etc.

At this point I'm basically gonna have to have 2 wires free hanging (power and hdmi) if I wanna use an external monitor/recorder and anything beyond the lightweight included motor.

Don't get me wrong I totally planned to get a good bit of use out of the RS2 motor cause it IS much smaller and lighter, but there are times when a bigger motor will be needed. It's just such a shame that the Ronin-S was more capable than the RS2 in both of these areas. It used standard rods, it can charge cameras, it can power focus motors at 12v, etc.

I for one am strongly considering returning it even though I like it because such a handicap just seems frustrating and necessary.

One of the easiest ways to reduce the weight on the gimbal is to remove the batteries from the camera and run with dummy/dc plug, even if you ultimately use an external battery to power the gimbal itself, as long as its not part of the balanced weight, then it doesn't really matter. This just seems like poor engineering. Especially when the battery IS a 15v battery so there is no good reason to not support passing the power through, especially with all the different accessories tilta is making, like what use is that counterbalance system with dual TB50 or the advanced ring with places for v-mount / gold mount batteries if they can't power ALL the things?

I have to assume the actual core power lines running through the thing are also at 15v (since they power the gimbal motors) so why not expose that power to the USB ports and massively extend the capabilities of what can be connected?
2020-11-18
Use props
Ssaumlsch
lvl.4
Germany

amnesia0287 Posted at 11-18 15:46
But if weight was the issue why not just use a carbon fiber rod? Or make the clamp on the focus motor work 12-15mm instead of JUST 12mm.

TBH, I wouldn't mind so much if the power ports hadn't also been gimped to death. From what I can tell you can't get more than 5v out of 2 of the 3 ports, at least not using any standard protocols. If i trigger QC2 or QC3 I will get 5v, but like USB-PD is not even supported. Why on earth are you guys implementing your own charging standard when USB-PD already supports 5/12/15/20v. What other outputs could you possibly need.

My thought exactly, thank amnesia!

I emailed with a guy from the German support team, he told me to wait for a firmware update in "the near future". They apparently are planning on raising the voltage on those ports from 5V to 8,5V. BUT he also said 12V is probably not coming because of a "optimized power delivery system", I don't know what that means though.
While not having 12V to power some cameras still sucks, anything above 7V is fine for at least a lot of accessories - my Teradek Bolt XT for example would run on that.

When the Ronin S first released it also had a lot of issues but DJI listened and they came out with a couple of firmware updates that made the gimbal into the best one for my use cases - lets hope the same holds true for the RS2, I'm waiting for the first 1 or 2 updates and give them another chance.
2020-11-19
Use props
PeensA88
lvl.1
New Zealand

I really do hope the voltage is increased for dummy batteries. Also Paul, that’s a frankly terrible response - I get that some of these comments must be frustrating but your response was text-book what not say to a customer, even when a customer is wrong.
2020-11-24
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

PeensA88 Posted at 11-24 00:37
I really do hope the voltage is increased for dummy batteries. Also Paul, that’s a frankly terrible response - I get that some of these comments must be frustrating but your response was text-book what not say to a customer, even when a customer is wrong.

Dummy batteries would need to have a handshake protocol for the voltage bump, otherwise, you plug in a USB-C accessory that doesn't prevent over-voltage and you risk them burning out. Also, you'll get straight responses from me most of the time instead of sugar coating.
2020-11-25
Use props
cambot
lvl.1

United States

fans076e06e0 Posted at 11-16 05:07
[view_image]
That's my solution for the 12mm rod fail. I might cut the 12mm rod, is I've got the 15mm rod free.

HI - what adapter is that that allows for you to connect the 12mm to the 15mm?
2020-11-25
Use props
mandomatic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7822553 ft
  • >>>
United States

The 12mm rod is total nonsense. The weight difference between a 12mm and 15mm rod are nothing compared to the weight differences in cameras and lenses that will go on the gimbal.
Using a 12mm rod is really out of touch with the industry and anything related to where it will be used. Nobody even makes anything with a 12mm rod connection. Nobody. Well, except DJI now.
I guess they expect you to use only the gimbal and nothing else during production. Of course you would never want to use your camera on a gimbal then quickly mount it to a tripod. That never happens.
2020-12-2
Use props
MedSpark
lvl.1

United States

We have the same concerns. We're attempting to run a BMPCC4K with our RS2, but the inability to power the camera through the gimbal is a MAJOR problem.

We are also having trouble with getting our Nucleus-Nano motor to operate properly when plugged into the RS2's accessory ports. We would have purchased a follow focus handwheel from DJI, but they don't have one that's compatible with their motor, so we were forced to buy the Tilta solution.

On the surface it seemed like the RS2 was a really awesome product, but the reality is that it has MAJOR deficiencies. Hopefully DJI is able to fix these problems in firmware or we're going to have to sell this thing.
2020-12-29
Use props
djiuser_Oxtb3GhklalW
New

United States

fans076e06e0 Posted at 2020-11-16 05:07
[view_image]

You found a way to make that distance. I was so upset when, using the same lens on my bmpcc, the silly small focus motor wouldn’t reach to the most common bmpcc lens.

Can you list what parts you are using to make this work?
2021-1-17
Use props
chalkgsy
lvl.1

United Kingdom

[view_image]

Hey! Was just looking at all this as 12mm doesn't reach the focus on Blackmagic and a 24-105. Care to share a few links/products names where yo got that little accessory?
2021-1-23
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

chalkgsy Posted at 1-23 03:38
Hey! Was just looking at all this as 12mm doesn't reach the focus on Blackmagic and a 24-105. Care to share a few links/products names where yo got that little accessory?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12mm+ ... &tag=mozilla-20
2021-1-23
Use props
Zack Hendershot
New

United States

[view_image]

What is this piece you’re using? I think this solution would work for me as well.
2021-1-23
Use props
djiuser_c6eppUy2bl4f
lvl.1
Finland

Whaaaat! Just got my RS2 and noticed this 12mm thing! WHAT THE ACTUAL F HELL WHERE YOU THINKING! I'm returning this piece of idiocy immediately. Somehow you thought it is a good idea to make something that is incompatible with everything else on the planet!?

The supplied rod is too short to reach pretty much any lens on BMPCC4k or 6K, the supplied screws are so short they have one (!) full revolution of threads left to grip after poking them through the stupid unstandard 12mm rod mounting bracket , resulting in stripped threads on first use. The 12mm rod is too thick to even fit inside a proper 15mm rod, so I could glue them together to make something that works. I'd need a lathe.

I've never been this furious with a product, this is infuriatingly stupid!

And what is that insulting your own customers on your forum, "if you think you're that smart, apply for a job here". Wtf, unbelievable.
2021-1-30
Use props
Nvn Plus
lvl.1

Israel

If someone is not satisfied with the 12mm rod for the focus motor, you can always buy a Ronin C motor from DJI and use it on your RS2 or RSC2. For this I have an inexpensive solution. It is also possible to power your cameras from 12 volts without resorting to power banks and external batteries. Contact nvn5000@hotmail.com and you will have everything.
2021-3-1
Use props
Glazarus
New

Sweden

Why don't DJI just do a 15mm to 12mm rod adapter? Could easily fit a 12mm rod within a 15mm rod that has some sort of screw for locking it in place. Just do it.

The focus motor itself is enough with its 5v even for my CN-E cine lenses. However, I want to be able to use it off the gimbal as well, to have a focus solution that is stuck on the camera and not the gimbal itself. Can we get a 5v transmitter that we can plug into the focus motor to be used with either a phone or a dedicated focus wheel?

It's odd that we have a focus motor that is both non-standard in terms of rod support and that we can't use off-gimbal. For my situation, I'm using a Red Komodo and it has an EXT port capable of 5V out, so if there was some way to drive a transmitter and focus motor from that power source it would be a very nice solution both on and off gimbal for my focus puller.
2021-3-3
Use props
William Shea Brown
New

Australia

DJI-Paul Posted at 2020-11-16 20:14
We have no control over what users tack onto their cameras such as a heavy cage, but we do have control over what we make. A 12mm rod is lighter and smaller than a 15mm rod. The motor ends up being smaller as well resulting in an overall weight reduction. When we designed the RS2, we considered weight reduction as one of the top priorities. The majority of the users are not going to be mounting a 3rd party focus motor. It doesn't fit your needs and that's why there are aftermarket manufacturers that make accessories.

But you do have control over the USB C voltage output and you have specifically made it so these ports need to talk to a DJI specific device for the output power to be turned on. This means pulling power for any aftermarket accessory is not an option. The entire gimbal is designed to force you to stay within the DJI ecosystem but then limits those accessories functionality as well. This creates a situation for professionals where the RS2 is no good for there specific rigging situations and forces them to buy the next level up REAL PRO products to gain real functionality. DJI lost my respect when creating the RS2. It's so cool but so useless.
2021-3-9
Use props
gmore70
lvl.1

Canada

We have no control over what users tack onto their cameras such as a heavy cage, but we do have control over what we make. A 12mm rod is lighter and smaller than a 15mm rod. The motor ends up being smaller as well resulting in an overall weight reduction. When we designed the RS2, we considered weight reduction as one of the top priorities. The majority of the users are not going to be mounting a 3rd party focus motor. It doesn't fit your needs and that's why there are aftermarket manufacturers that make accessories.

Hi Paul,

Thats the point... there are NO! 3rd party suppliers of 12 mm rods. None. Zero. Nothing. And no one is going to do it as there is only 1 product on the entire market that uses 12 mm, that the RS2.

Guess I how I fixed it... with a piece cut from a carbon fiber fishing pole.

Now when everyone sees the fishing pole they ask why. Then I let them know how dummy DJI was with this whole 12 mm.  

At the very least, you could sell 12 mm rods that are 6 or 8 inches long.. but no...

You guys are losing customers on this.. might want to fix it.
2021-4-7
Use props
Robert Bergmann
lvl.2

Poland

gmore70 Posted at 4-7 13:25
Hi Paul,

Thats the point... there are NO! 3rd party suppliers of 12 mm rods. None. Zero. Nothing. And no one is going to do it as there is only 1 product on the entire market that uses 12 mm, that the RS2.

I buyed 12mm/10mm & 1000mm long carbon pipe. Ready for every telelens
2021-4-8
Use props
bradpaulp
lvl.1

United States

I'm going to order this and try it out
It's a 12mm to 15mm tube made for a bicycle axel. Should work.
I mostly need it to convert the Tilta 15mm rod bracket to the focus motor.

$15 trick should do it. https://amzn.to/3z0zrk3

Or SmallRig also makes this adapter that you can use either 15mm or 12mm rod.
(My issue is I need to get the focus wheel up HIGHER not lengthen the rod itself)
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-12mm-15mm-single-rod-clamp-for-bmpcc-6k-pro-cage-3276.html

2021-6-4
Use props
InsideJobFilms
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

[view_image]

Hi there!

I have run into an issue as well because of the non standard rod size. The 1DX Mark III sits too high for the DJI Focus motor to reach the lens. I have been looking for other ways to increase the hight of where the motor is positioned without a whole lot of luck. That rod clamp you have pictured looks like it might help. Can I ask who makes it?

Thank you!

-Jordan
2021-7-3
Use props
InsideJobFilms
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Hi Paul,

I thought you may have an answer for me since the problem I'm having is related to this thread. I would appreciate any help or ideas you may have.

One of the cameras I fly on my RS2 is my 1DX Mark III. Unfortunately the DJI focus motor sits too low to make contact with my Leica R cinemoded lenses or any other lens that doesnt have at least a 119mm diameter. My Zeiss CP3's are the only lenses I have that will reach down far enough to make contact which really limit my options.

I have attached two pictures. The lens pictured is Canons 50 1.2, not the lens I plan on using but what happened to be on the camera at the time ( just as an FYI ).  

Because the rod size is 12mm I can't find any accessories to raise up the follow focus motor high enoigh to make contact with the lens. I'm thinking DJI must have a solution as the 1DX Mark III is a camera DJI shows so often in its little animations and product renders with the RS2 so the hight of a full size DSLR must have been an obvious consideration as you guys seem to be familiar with the camera when mounted on the RS2.

Thank you for you help!

-Jordan
www.insidejobfilms.com

2021-7-3
Use props
aziz2
lvl.1
Finland

DJI doesn't care. I'm betting the next RS3 is already on the drawing table, with 11.3mm rod and imperial thread sizes or something other hilariously stupid.
2021-8-13
Use props
dasdas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 302 ft

United States

We have no control over what users tack onto their cameras such as a heavy cage, but we do have control over what we make. A 12mm rod is lighter and smaller than a 15mm rod. The motor ends up being smaller as well resulting in an overall weight reduction. When we designed the RS2, we considered weight reduction as one of the top priorities. The majority of the users are not going to be mounting a 3rd party focus motor. It doesn't fit your needs and that's why there are aftermarket manufacturers that make accessories.

1. weight: you could have used carbon rods of STANDARD size
2. it's not about him being "so smart" it's about you guys disrespecting the industry and thinking you're better than decades old standard.
2021-12-21
Use props
Warren Wang1
New

Taiwan

I found the smallrig 3681 which should work. I hope this helps.
2021-12-30
Use props
fans1fce5ca9
lvl.2

United States

Plus one for 15mm rods and motors on the next version of the RS gimbal.   Also design it so the system work well with lidar and rod coming off the top of the FX3.  Right now you can only screw in one screw to the rod clamp top FX3 camera plate when the lydar is in the hotshoe.
2022-8-16
Use props
djiuser_K9ZwW4NBjfpm
New

Portugal

[view_image]

Hi there.
I been trying to find a solution for the same problem. And there you are with one. But I’m not able to find or figure it out what you got there. If you don’t mind tell me what piece and where did you bought?
I’ll appreciate it a lot. Tank you
2022-11-9
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

djiuser_K9ZwW4NBjfpm Posted at 11-9 23:51
Hi there.
I been trying to find a solution for the same problem. And there you are with one. But I’m not able to find or figure it out what you got there. If you don’t mind tell me what piece and where did you bought?
I’ll appreciate it a lot. Tank you

https://smallrig.com/smallrig-12 ... p-adapter-3681.html

2022-11-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules